“Good food but prices seem high”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Eolo Seasonal Sicilian Kitchen - CLOSED

Eolo Seasonal Sicilian Kitchen
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: W 21st Street
Transit: Take the 1 train to 23rd and 7th Avenue
Description: Enjoy a meal at Bar Eolo and experience our chef's love letter to the region of Sicily. At Bar Eolo: Sicilian Kitchen & Wines, food is thought to be a source of great pleasure as well as an insight into the culture and history of Sicily. Over the millennia, Sicily has been a cultural crossroads, inhabited by the Greeks, Phoenicians, Arabs, Romans, Jews, Normans, Bourbons and beyond. Sicily has kept several elements of these cultures and incorporated them into its own. In a warm and relaxed setting, Bar Eolo serves Sicilian-inspired contemporary fare and offers an award-winning selection of Sicilian wines. Our menus change seasonally and feature typical Sicilian delicacies as well as organic ingredients from local farms. According to Homer, Eolo-Italian for Greek mythology's Aeolus, ruler of the wind- lived on the volcanic Aeolian islands off the north coast of Sicily and was a favorite among the Greek gods. He gave Odysseus a wine bag filled with wind to speed his historic voyage home. Nearly there, Odysseus's curious crew opened the bag, the winds escaped and their ship was pulled back to the Sicilian archipelago. From the chef proprietress: When I think about Sicily, my sensory memories of childhood summers come flooding back: the heat of scorching sun, the view of shooting stars in August, the taste of salt when swimming in the Mediterranean Sea, and the scent of the wind, which delivered the hot scirocco breeze from Africa in the desert-like summers. The air carried warm aromas of bread baking at the nearby panificio, dried shrubs burning to fertilize the soil and garlic and herbs from my neighbors' kitchens. All of these smells arrived at my balcony window thanks to my imaginary friend, Eolo. ~Melissa
New York City, New York
“Good food but prices seem high”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I had been in here for a glass of wine earlier in the year. I was having a Board meeting and suggested Eolo because I thought it would be quiet. It was. We were 5, got a table in the back and ordered some food and wine. I had the octopus app which was v good. Two people had a pasta dish and it looked freshly made and v rich. Others ordered fish entrees. I think swordfish was a special that night. Only three people had wine - one glass each. Bill was $36 each inc tip. Seemed high considering I had an app and club soda.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank MBM212
EoloNYC, General Manager at Eolo Seasonal Sicilian Kitchen, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
We are happy that you enjoyed the quality of our food and thank you for your opinion about our prices.

We run many incentives and would love to inform you - if you are in the neighborhood again - about our "All Day Long Happy Hour" at our bar and bar tables.
We offer:
~ Daily Happy Hour ~
~ $5 glass of Pinot Noir Stemmari
~ $5 glass of Chardonnay Stemmari
~ $8 Cabernet Sauvignon Stemmari
~ $7 glass of Prosecco
~ $5 House-liquor mixed drinks (not including martinis)
~ $6 Small Dishes (long list of bar offerings change daily)

We also offer a special on Sundays:
Every Sunday, enjoy 50% off any bottle of wine regularly priced over $50.

Hope you visit again and thank you for your feedback!

New York City, New York
“Sicilian wines are great but not easy to find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stopped in Eolo on a Friday night. I was walking by Il Bastardo across the street which I have been to before and which was very crowded. I looked up and saw Eolo across the street. I had never noticed the restaurant before so I thought it was new. Later the server would tell me that they had recently renovated. There was outdoor seating and it was a nice night but I went in to sit at the bar. I was mostly interested in trying some of the Sicilian wines which I have always liked but have not found that easily. I tried two whites - Dalila and a Chardonnay. Dalila was very good. I ordered a bruschetta as well which went pleasantly with the wine.

• Visited June 2013
France
“Sicilian gem in Manhattan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Was looking for an italian Restaurant and found this gem. Great sicilian food and great selection of sicilian wines. Jessica gave me good wines advices and got for me a cheese selection that I will not forget anytime soon.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank balthus
Santa Monica, California
“Lovely graduation dinner for 12”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

The staff fashioned a square table for us which was so wonderful, even better than a round one. We had three on each side and all were able to converse. The restaurant has a warm ambience with a general soft yellow glow - very Italian in feeling. The bar is also very nice. And the food was delicious!!! And when we requested Frank Sinatra music, we got it. We felt very well looked after and had a wonderful time.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Colson1010
Boulder, Colorado
“Not the typical NYC Italian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

This Sciilian restaurant is worth a visit due to the unusual but often delicious food and wines from Sicily. Vegetable antipasti was excellent and varied. Pasta entres featured spring vegetables. The special with cod was tasty as was the ravioli which was unfortunately like warm. Extensive wines by the glass featuring Sicilian grapes and blends.

• Visited May 2013