“nothing special”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: W 21st Street
Transit: Take the 1 train to 23rd and 7th Avenue
Description: Enjoy a meal at Bar Eolo and experience our chef's love letter to the region of Sicily. At Bar Eolo: Sicilian Kitchen & Wines, food is thought to be a source of great pleasure as well as an insight into the culture and history of Sicily. Over the millennia, Sicily has been a cultural crossroads, inhabited by the Greeks, Phoenicians, Arabs, Romans, Jews, Normans, Bourbons and beyond. Sicily has kept several elements of these cultures and incorporated them into its own. In a warm and relaxed setting, Bar Eolo serves Sicilian-inspired contemporary fare and offers an award-winning selection of Sicilian wines. Our menus change seasonally and feature typical Sicilian delicacies as well as organic ingredients from local farms. According to Homer, Eolo-Italian for Greek mythology's Aeolus, ruler of the wind- lived on the volcanic Aeolian islands off the north coast of Sicily and was a favorite among the Greek gods. He gave Odysseus a wine bag filled with wind to speed his historic voyage home. Nearly there, Odysseus's curious crew opened the bag, the winds escaped and their ship was pulled back to the Sicilian archipelago. From the chef proprietress: When I think about Sicily, my sensory memories of childhood summers come flooding back: the heat of scorching sun, the view of shooting stars in August, the taste of salt when swimming in the Mediterranean Sea, and the scent of the wind, which delivered the hot scirocco breeze from Africa in the desert-like summers. The air carried warm aromas of bread baking at the nearby panificio, dried shrubs burning to fertilize the soil and garlic and herbs from my neighbors' kitchens. All of these smells arrived at my balcony window thanks to my imaginary friend, Eolo. ~Melissa
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Late night dinner because everywhere else was closing, and Eolo welcomed us. That's the extent of the perks this restaurant extends to customers, I'd say. The chicken took us several hours to digest, the risotto (a special) was good but definitely overdone (and the quality of the rice grains was probably quite low), and the 9$ priced glass of "pinot noir" was just slosh whose honest price would have been 50c. Some antipasti served to other tables looked good (from a distance). Service was OK. Lots of spelling mistakes on the Italian menu (but then again, only an Italian might care).

EoloNYC, Owner at Eolo Seasonal Sicilian Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to review Eolo. We highly appreciate all forms of praise and criticism in our effort to offer a quality dining experience to our customers.

Firstly, please note, our menu is carefully written in the Sicilian dialect, and not in Italian. Eolo is a Sicilian restaurant. The words are written correctly in Sicilian, which is a unique language that differs significantly from Italian.

In regards to the quality of our food and wine:
The wine that we serve is carefully selected. We have had much positive feedback about our $9 per glass Sicilian Pinot Noir from Feudo Arancio. We regret that it was not to your liking as well. Also, we are committed to quality and the ingredients we use in our food are of the highest caliber. The chicken is all natural, hormone and antibiotic-free and sourced locally.

Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

We were staying round the corner and read the good reviews here but were really disappointed. Bit pricey for good honest food. This is an average restaurant that charges too much in my humble opinion.

EoloNYC, Owner at Eolo Seasonal Sicilian Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

We regret that you were not fully satisfied with your experience at Eolo. Our food is lovingly prepared with high quality ingredients and we sincerely aim to please our valued customers. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will try us out again when next back in Chelsea. Kind Regards, Melissa.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have walked by Eolo a hundred times and never tried it. And then, after Hurricane Sandy - they were the only restaurant open when the power went out. They had a gas grill and plenty of electric lights. What was incredible to me is that they didn't just serve simple meals. They created incredible menus, even with the limitations they had without power. And, the food is GREAT. I went there 4 nights in a row after the hurricane, and enjoyed everything I ate. They also have a great wine selection.

One of my favorite things about this place is how welcoming they are. The owners are extremely friendly, and it is clear they have a ton of regulars. They know many people by name, and are truly engaged with their customers. I am definitely a new regular, and will be seen here for long time to come!

This place is a hidden gem. I absolutely recommend it. You will love the food, and feel extremely welcomed by the owners and staff.

(Oh, and I am gluten free and they easily supported my needs! I even had gluten free pasta there one night)

1  Thank Sara Z
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Very good restaurant! Food not really what I call Sicilian, but good! The White sangria was amazing just full of ice :(
A little pricey for what you get, but nice location,

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Eolo is a wonderful contrast to the run-of-the-mill New York Italian restaurant, which serves huge plates of chewy pasta covered with lots of bland red sauce. At Eolo the emphasis is definitely on lovingly prepared food. Our salads, entrees, and desserts were both delicious and attractively served. Even the coffee is strong and good. We would recommend the scallop entree and the homemade raspberry lime sorbet for dessert.

On the Friday night when we dined at Eolo, the wait staff was attentive. The restaurant was not crowded, so there were plenty of waiters/waitresses available.

The one negative I would cite is that the subway goes under the street right at the restaurant. When the trains went by, the noise was loud.

1  Thank Doctor_English
EoloNYC, Manager at Eolo Seasonal Sicilian Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you for your review. We strive to offer our customers a unique experience and we’re delighted that you recognized our efforts. Eolo’s kitchen team is comprised of a group of passionate cooks who put much time and care into each dish. And Eolo is indeed Melissa’s self-professed “love letter to Sicily.” So we thank you for noting that our food is “lovingly prepared.” It means a lot to us.

We agree that the subway creates a loud noise when passing by the outdoor patio. That is the downside of being located on a major avenue in NYC. Luckily, it is not noticeable in the indoor dining room. But we do hope that our herbs, flowers and comfortable table arrangement on our patio makes up for the noise.

By the way, the coffee you enjoyed is La Colombe, which is roasted in Pennsylvania.