“will not return, very expensive wine list and cavalier attitude”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Ciano - CLOSED

Ciano
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 22nd Street & Park Avenue
Transit: MTA N & R Trains to 23rd Street MTA 6 Train to 22nd Street MTA F & B Train to 23rd Street Path Train to 23rd Street
New York City
“will not return, very expensive wine list and cavalier attitude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

The restaurant is not too noisy, and the food was tasty. However, we left the restaurant not feeling very good about our meal. When the wine list has its lowest priced bottle of red at more than $65.00, that truly feels like a rip-off. We asked if they had any lower priced bottles, and they did come up with a very mediocre Malbec at $55.00, hardly worth it. When my companion's main course came out much more spicy than he could tolerate, the waiter cavalierly responded that he did not find it spicy. For a restaurant where we spent almost $300 among the four of us, a more appropriate response would have been to offer to exchange the dish for another. The pasta dishes as listed on the menu, we were told, are only appetizer portions. Therefore, I ordered a dinner portion, but it seemed that they only added more pasta, but not more sauce. (Actually the appetizer portion would have been enough.) If you do go, and like to have some wine with dinner, watch out! The bill will be higher than this restaurant warrants.

• Visited March 2013

Cincinnati
“High Expectations Not Met”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I heard about Ciano from several colleagues who indicated I would have a "tremendous" meal. Honestly, it wasn't that tremendous. Was the food good? Sure, but you sort of expect good food at this type of restaurant in NYC. Was the service good? Good is about all I can say about it. It wasn't bad, but we certainly were not made to feel like we were really being taken care of. Was it a good value? Not really... not terrible but for the money I would have expected a better meal and better service.

I was also not that impressed by the wine list or the cocktail program. My cocktail wasn't prepared right and had to be remade and the wine list seemed to me to be pretty sparse in good quality Italian selections, which I would sort of expect at an Italian restaurant. The wine steward seemed knowledgeable but bordered on annoying by stopping by not once, not twice, but three times to ask if I needed any help with the wine list. Perhaps I just look like the type of person who doesn't know anything abotu wine.

If visiting NYC, I would skip it.

• Visited February 2013
albany ny
“Birthday lunch hit the spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Lunch for 5 two of which were price fixed were as hoped for great.we would return and always get the price fixed menu. That is super value for your money and delicious !We will return and enjoy

Florida Keys, Florida
“Awesome Italian!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

If like Italian we highly recommend Ciano. We sat upstairs in a private dining area and the wait service was great. A "must try" when you are in New York City.

• Visited December 2012
New York City, New York
“In a city of great Italian Restaurants, Ciano is in the top 10”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

We live in Gramercy Park on 21st street exactly one block from Ciano where we have eaten previously. Obviously some of the previous reviewers are not from this area as they identify Ciano as being in either Murray Hill or Flatiron. Check the zip code, it is Gramercy. I am Italian American born in Greenwich Village and have lived my hole life here. I celebrated my 74th birthday at Ciano last week and everything was outstanding. Sea Bass not to be believed. Great portion and wonderful flavorings. The Burrata was fresh and creamy and even the Panna Cotta desert outstanding. The place is uually packed as it should be.My wife and I have eaten at over 500 italian restaurants in Manhattan alone and Ciano is one of the top 10.

• Visited December 2012