“Great food, low key atmosphere”
Review of Ciano - CLOSED

Ciano
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 22nd Street & Park Avenue
Transit: MTA N & R Trains to 23rd Street MTA 6 Train to 22nd Street MTA F & B Train to 23rd Street Path Train to 23rd Street
New York City, New York
“Great food, low key atmosphere”
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

This is the perfect place to go if you're looking for delicious food in a low key environment. The veal meatballs are out of this world, and the tiramisu is the best I've ever had. Service isn't terrible but not great. Our dinner felt a little rushed. I had a lot of my entre left, and they took it away without even asking if I wanted it wrapped. I'll definitely regret not having those leftovers tomorrow.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Excellent food, lackluster service”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

we had Thanksgiving dinner at Ciano. It was a prix fixe menu with choices. The food was interesting, delicious and plentiful. There were four of us a so we got to taste everything. The service was not as good. We were seated and then ignored for a time. Eventually our drink orders were taken and came slowly. The waitress came over and brought bread but did not take orders. When she eventually took our order the rest of the evening went well with food brought out nicely and a good amount of time between courses. However, there was no one asking how things were or if we needed anything.

• Visited November 2012
Houston, Texas
“Unexpected delight”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Great place for modern Italian cuisine: cozy with its fireplace; near-perfect waitstaff that works well together and without pretension. Imaginative menu (I had a great scallop starter with herbs and pine nuts and the waitress informed me that the pasta seafood had a bit of heat from the Calabrian peppers -- and it was perfection with a kick). Portions were the right size to sate but not bloat. All was at a reasonable price (for NYC) of about $140 for 3 people (3 beers, 2 appetizers, 3 entrees).

• Visited December 2012
Merced, California
“OK”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We dined here on the advice of my niece. It was an early dinner but we found the this was the best liked meal for my husband and myself. Was expensive tho service was good. But overall the restaurant was very loud and difficult to talk in. Would not go here again.

Visited November 2012
New York City, New York
“Terrific Evening and Dining Experience”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I along with 5 other foodies wanted to try several places on a list we saved from the NY Times (Sam Sifton). Several on the list we found had the typical reservation gymnastic hoops to jump through so we put those aside and selected Ciano. Reservations for 7, at a specific date & time, no problem, with a sincere "thank you". Arrive early and start at the bar with a few of the cocktail and wine selections. Friendly bartenders, who are more than happy to put your bar tab on the main bill, no hassle. Prompt and friendly service, start to finish, no rushing or pressure to keep it all moving along, even though the place was packed. A very lively and energetic crowd but the decible level was quite comfortable. We had a large booth in the rear with a terrific view of the entire room. We started with a selection of various crostino to tune up the taste buds, followed by appetizers. Try the Veal Meatballs, Diver Scallops, Arugala Salad. Main dishes of Branzino, several pasta dishes, Codfish. All excellently presented, prepared and tasteful. The wine list is a bit overprices, but we did find 3 bottle that were within reason and all good with our mains. Desserts of gelato & affogatto were good, not great. The total bill, (bar, wine, food and a 20% gratuity for parties of 6 or more) came to $898, or $128 per head, which I felt was in the NYC price range. The overall ambience was very nice, kind of rustic Italian kitchen, low light, cozy comfort. You'll love the rabbit mural. The menu and quality of food was such that you'll want to go back to try the other dishes you didn't get to try the first time around. Active and lively (but well behaved) bar crowd too. An overall excellent dining experience.

• Visited November 2012