“Unexpected delight”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 22nd Street & Park Avenue
Transit: MTA N & R Trains to 23rd Street MTA 6 Train to 22nd Street MTA F & B Train to 23rd Street Path Train to 23rd Street
Houston, Texas
“Unexpected delight”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Great place for modern Italian cuisine: cozy with its fireplace; near-perfect waitstaff that works well together and without pretension. Imaginative menu (I had a great scallop starter with herbs and pine nuts and the waitress informed me that the pasta seafood had a bit of heat from the Calabrian peppers -- and it was perfection with a kick). Portions were the right size to sate but not bloat. All was at a reasonable price (for NYC) of about $140 for 3 people (3 beers, 2 appetizers, 3 entrees).

• Visited December 2012

Merced, California
“OK”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We dined here on the advice of my niece. It was an early dinner but we found the this was the best liked meal for my husband and myself. Was expensive tho service was good. But overall the restaurant was very loud and difficult to talk in. Would not go here again.

Visited November 2012
New York City, New York
“Terrific Evening and Dining Experience”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I along with 5 other foodies wanted to try several places on a list we saved from the NY Times (Sam Sifton). Several on the list we found had the typical reservation gymnastic hoops to jump through so we put those aside and selected Ciano. Reservations for 7, at a specific date & time, no problem, with a sincere "thank you". Arrive early and start at the bar with a few of the cocktail and wine selections. Friendly bartenders, who are more than happy to put your bar tab on the main bill, no hassle. Prompt and friendly service, start to finish, no rushing or pressure to keep it all moving along, even though the place was packed. A very lively and energetic crowd but the decible level was quite comfortable. We had a large booth in the rear with a terrific view of the entire room. We started with a selection of various crostino to tune up the taste buds, followed by appetizers. Try the Veal Meatballs, Diver Scallops, Arugala Salad. Main dishes of Branzino, several pasta dishes, Codfish. All excellently presented, prepared and tasteful. The wine list is a bit overprices, but we did find 3 bottle that were within reason and all good with our mains. Desserts of gelato & affogatto were good, not great. The total bill, (bar, wine, food and a 20% gratuity for parties of 6 or more) came to $898, or $128 per head, which I felt was in the NYC price range. The overall ambience was very nice, kind of rustic Italian kitchen, low light, cozy comfort. You'll love the rabbit mural. The menu and quality of food was such that you'll want to go back to try the other dishes you didn't get to try the first time around. Active and lively (but well behaved) bar crowd too. An overall excellent dining experience.

• Visited November 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Restaurant Week treat”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Cosy, intimate atmosphere. Upscale Italian fare. I've only been here once but would definitely go again to try their regular menu versus the restaurant week offering.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank LuvMyVespa
Atlanta, Georgia
“Attractive, trendy place, with excellent food. Not cheap.”
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

We ate here because it was roughly in our neighborhood, because of the excellent Zagat review, and a friend had recommended highly. We were not disappointed. We had an excellent bottle of Soave. For all their wines, one can choose between half and full bottles. They also have a full bar and specialty cocktails. I started with the veal meatballs over polenta. I then moved on to the pappardelle with duck confit ragu. It was very rich, and I wish I had ordered the appetizer portion instead of the entrée portion. Those two appetizer sized dishes would have been sufficient for my dinner. My wife had a pasta that she found too spicy, but she really should not have ordered it because she does not like spicy food. She loved her appetizer, however. All in all, I found the cuisine here excellent, the service outstanding, and the ambience pleasant. I definitely plan to go back.

1 Thank FilipoBambini