“Thai fusion - great condiments and Roti”
Review of Kin Shop - CLOSED

Kin Shop
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: between 11th & 12th streets
Transit: Take A, B, C, D, E to West 4th (north exit) 1,2 or 3 to 14th (south exit) F, M, L and PATH at 14th Street & 6th Ave.
Description: Kin Shop is a contemporary Thai restaurant opened by Chef Harold Dieterle and Alicia Nosenzo. The duo chose the name, Kin Shop, because “kin,” is the Thai word for “to eat” and the restaurant is the “kin” to their acclaimed restaurant Perilla, a mere seven-minute walk away. Kin Shop’s menu features both contemporary reinterpretations of traditional Thai dishes and wholly new items inspired by Thai ingredients. Complementing Kin Shop’s menu (which is meant to be shared), are Thai-influenced specialty cocktails, a 75-label, spice-friendly international wine list with many bottles priced under $50, and a diverse globe-spanning selection of beers, many from small, craft producers. The casual, but polished setting features comfortable banquettes, a long granite bar, and a chef’s counter for walk-in dining with a front-row view.
Memphis, Tennessee
“Thai fusion - great condiments and Roti”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

It's not strictly Thai - they have Roti, after all (flat indian bread)
The condiments are heavenly, 4 Mixtures of cucumbers in one, coconut and squash (i think), and two other heavenly mixtures of veggies, thai spice, and great stuff - two types f red pepper on the table while you eat....
There were noodles of various types, goat and coconut milk, vegetarian dishes and Larb (chopped meat rolled in lettuce) on the day we went
I am sure they vary the menu regularly - the chef seems to be creative, interesting and adventurous with his/her use of traditional ingredients to make non-traditional foods
it's a must for the 10th st crowd!!

• Visited November 2012

Morrisville, PA
“Great Thai”
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

A unique take on Thai food and delicious. I went for lunch and had the twenty dollar prix fixe. Started with a great beer from their short but interesting list. Appetizer was stir fried water vegetables - crisp and yummy - a very good starter. Skate and calamari in "jungle" curry was spicy and delicious. Soaked up the curry with delicious, crisp roti. A cooling sorbet soothed the eat as a refreshing finish. Service was first rate and room was protons and lovely. Two caveats: rice was extra on the prix fixe menu and the bathrooms are teeny tiny.

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“A MUST TRY if you are in the area”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The moment you sit down in this restaurant, you feel like you are about the have a unique meal. The menu for each day is only about 10 items long, but everything on there is personally prepared by the head chef. I had a calamari squid entree that was so tender that I could pull bite sized pieces apart from the whole with my fork. The only thing I could warn you about is the wait, which I think may have been because the dish took so long to prepare.

• Visited October 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
“A taste adventure without pretentiousness”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Goat! What? Brother, it was tasty! We adventured to Kin Shop this past Friday night as we were in NYC for the weekend to catch a show. It is curiously difficult to find a good Thai or Asian fusion eatery in Manhattan. We chose Kin Shop upon a tip from a foodie friend that lives in Manhattan. We viewed the menu before booking and decided we would roll the dice. Kin Shop was busy but not full. The waiter was extremely knowledgeable and helpful but not pretentious. There were all sorts ofd diners: couples, groups of friends and even a lone family with a small child. The seating is the ubiquitous Manhattan row of tables, which we expect and will tolerate in NYC. We started with the coconut soup. The portion was surprisingly large and tasty. We ordered a couple of the bbq shrimp. The shrimp were fresh off the grill and seasoned nicely. We both drank a very nice CA IPA called, "Nectar". It was delicious and worked with the Thai flavors. For entree I ordered the GOAT, a first for me. The server also recommended it and stated it cooks for hours. The portion was very adequate, the meat was extremely flavorful and tender; a wonderful and unique treat. My wife ordered the red curry with a protein, which was very good. It was a little annoying to have to order and pay for ($3) a side of rice. The rice should be free with the entree. I found that a little annoying, I guess it's a NYC thing. The soup, shrimp and entrees (with a couple of excellent IPA beers each) left us very full. The server was professional not pushy; his timing was appropriate and there was zero NYC attitude. Some other reviews have complained of the noise level in the restaurant. I am sensitive to loud noise and at no time did I find it remotely loud in the restaurant. Of note, this was around 7pm on a Friday. As is to be expected in Manhattan, the tables are quite close together. I would be extremely annoyed by this in FL, but in NYC you have to roll with it. I inspected the bathrooms down a steep flight of stairs. There are two very small unisex bathroom. The sink is a very unusual 1/2 sink; I guess you make due with the limited space. The bathrooms were clean. Apparently one of The Beastie Boys has eaten at Kin Shop as there was a signed photo on a wall by the staircase. The only criticism i would offer was I had to endure the rap / hiphop music in the background. I loathe this type of music and anything would have been better. I very strongly recommend Kin Shop if you are seeking a delicious Thai inspired meal in Manhattan.

• Visited October 2012
DeLand, Florida, United States
“Nice Flavors”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Last meal of the culinary adventure. The appetizers were good, soup had the profile of massaman( pleasant suprise). But the prawns had a freezer burned taste. Our server was very pleasant, but the wine director (ummm no). Entrees were full flavored. We were still hungry and ordered stir-fry green, then dessert. The cake was fabulous with kaffir lime (?) frosting --- not over powering wonderfully subtle.

Visited October 2012