“A great tour for music lovers”

Rock Around the Block Tours
Ranked #278 of 603 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: If you love rock and roll you'll love Rock Around the Block tours! Music business veteran and rock journalist Bob Sarlin offers three different walking tours about rock history in New York City - in Greenwich Village, in Times Square and on the Upper West Side. Bob offers unique insights based on his personal experience with such artists as Elvis, Michael Jackson, Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen. Don't miss this unforgettable New York experience.
Yountville, California
“A great tour for music lovers”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I look Bob's Times Square tour and loved it! In addition to being a treasure trove of rock & roll history and personal stories, Bob is a genuinely nice man, and took the time to learn our names, where we were from and the music we liked. We visited famous landmarks like the Ed Sullivan Theater, Brill Building, Colony Music, and the Warwick Hotel where the Beatles stayed after being kicked out of the Palace Hotel, as well as lesser-known spots such as the corner where "Moondog" The Viking of 6th Ave. would stand. Bob was born and raised in NY and worked in the music industry for decades, and his love and enthusiasm for music shines through. I could have listened to his stories all day. I wanted to take his Greenwich Village tour as well, but alas, I missed it! Will definitely do it next time I visit NYC.

Trumbull, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great tour of NY's music history. Highly recommend it.”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I took Bob's Greenwich Village Tour. I love to read rock musician and music industry bios. So a lot of what Bob said on the tour I knew already. That did not take away from a really great tour that put what I had read into perspective. Even though I had been down these same streets myself in my life many times, Bob filled the streets with character and life. Buildings came to life with Bob's history of their former residents that we grew up listening to. Bob is extremely well versed in the rock and roll lore and gives a great tour that is not to be missed if you love music or just NYC.

I also had an opportunity to hear another rock n roll tour company pass our tour. Immediately I saw how much better I deal I had with Bob. The other tour guide told tall tales of the history of a music industry and city that never existed. The other tour guide needed to check his facts before his next tour. Bob does not have to make things up. He lived it and tells it to you straight. I look forward to taking more tours with Bob and recommend him highly.

Rahway, NJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fun day of rock & roll history”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I enjoyed the rock & roll tour on a nice summer day. Bob was impressive. His vast knowledge of the industry and love of the city shined thru in his story telling. I thoroughly enjoyed the tour and recommend it highly. I think the walk was do-able for those in good shape. Rock on!

Haverford, Pennsylvania, United States
“Rock and Roll History At Its Finest”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Growing up in a house where music was constantly being played, my music history education began young. However, Bob didn't just grow up listening to the music, he lived the music and throughout his life has seen and done things that will make any rock and roll fan gasp. His knowledge of events about the golden age of folk and the people involved, combined with his personal experiences make this the most comprehensive and personal experience this side of the Mississippi.If you have ever listened to rock and roll, this is the tour for you in NYC.

New York City, New York
“Great Experience!”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We had a great time on the rock around the block tour, even during a sweltering hot NYC summer day. Bob's personal connection not only to the areas we toured, but also to the people and the time period made it a great experience. I would recommend this to any music fan looking to learn a little bit more about the history of the West Village.

Thanks Bob!