“Convenient and decent Restaurant”
Review of The National

The National
Reserve with OpenTable
The National is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #783 of 14,202 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 50th Street
Transit: Take 6 Train to 51 Street.
Description: Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian brings his vision of a contemporary New York grand cafe to life at The National Bar & Dining Rooms. Housed in the same 1927 Emery Roth-designed building as The Benjamin Hotel, The National's all-occasion modern bistro offerings satiate guests from breakfast through late night. Modeled after the celebrated grand cafes in Europe, The National is both residential and metropolitan in design and offers thoughtful details such as antiqued mirrors, a bronze spiral staircase, distressed peacock blue and chocolate leather banquettes, classic marble table tops, and black and white glazed-tile flooring.
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We were staying at the Benjamin for the weekend and this restaurant was very convenient for us to stop by for a night cap.
They have a decent menu, and friendly staff.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We ate breakfast only once at The National. It was a mixed experience. We arrived early and we seemed to be the first customers. The hostess, although polite, did not greet us with any sense of warmth and could not manage to crack a smile the entire time we were in the restaurant and when we had additional exchanges. The waiter wasn't much better. My husband wanted buttermilk pancakes, which was listed on the hotel (The Benjamin) room service menu, but the dining room menu only had "buttermilk banana pancakes." The waiter, somewhat reluctantly, checked with the kitchen, and was told plain buttermilk pancakes could be ordered. Good. I ordered the spinach, mushroom, bacon & cheese omelet. For the life of me I could not detect any bacon. I began to wonder if I really had ordered an omelet that was supposed to include bacon. When I questioned the waiter, he curtly told me that the bacon was "mixed" into the omelet. He did not offer a solution,especially since I showed him the lack of bacon bits. Of course, by that time, I had eaten half of it, but I think the cook just forgot to sprinkle in the bacon into the mix. It wasn't worth pursuing at that point. The coffee was good, but poured from a small pot (8 oz?) that was left on the table. One could barely get another cup from that dinky pot before having to hail the waiter for more. On the other hand, the pancakes were good, and the omelet, even without the bacon, was good. I think I would have felt okay about the dining experience, if the wait staff & hostess had been friendly--happy would be too much to ask for. They all acted as if they didn't want to be there. I should add, that the evening before we attended a dinner in the hotel private room, catered by The National. We liked the food very much and the waiters were really nice, relaxed, and welcoming when they passed around the appetizers as the group chatted with each other. The bartender was also very gracious. Maybe it's only the morning crew that has an attitude problem.

Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

I visited here with my husband and 2 children aged 17&10 and we liked the look of menu and place was full.
We ordered steaks etc...drinks took a long time to arrive and waiter had no interest or manners...it was like it was an inconvenience to be serving us...
The steak was fatty and chips so overcooked they simply snapped in two... The waiter was rude when we refused to look at the dessert menu and threw our bill on the table!
$240 for 4 of us and we ended up still hungry! Avoid this place in my opinion 1 block up towards 48th is raffles much more lovely place and service excellent

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We were excited, on our visit to NYC, that we would have lunch in a restaurant owned by Geoffrey Zakarian. We watch him on the food network and thought this would be a great experience. Sadly it was anything but. We were seated at 2 pm on a Friday and ordered 2 chicken Ceaser salads. They were served one at a time. We asked the manager to check on it and he never returned. We had to ask our waiter , who said he put both in and would check. Finally 10 minutes later we got the second one. We were seated next to 2 dirty tables that took 15 minutes to clear & when the busboy did clear them, he reset the table without wiping it first.
Really a surprise from one who seems like such a perfectionist. We will not return

1  Thank michael s
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Dinner was excellent!Our server had a little bit of an attitude, but the food was so good, I paid no attention to him!I had the roasted octopus, which was beyond delicious!We also had steak with frites, perfectly cooked, polenta-outstanding, the ugly burger & salad. Everything was excellent!I am planning my next trip!