“Great Location, Comfortable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Gotham Hotel

The Gotham Hotel
Ranked #240 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great Location, Comfortable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I booked the Gotham through Hotels Tonight at the very last minute. Not 35 minutes after booking, I was at the front desk and they had my room ready (one hour before "check in," although I know that's not guaranteed). The room was in the back of the hotel so very quiet. There is a balcony, but it's not a view anyone would relish. The room is small, but sufficient. Plenty of storage and surface space, well-placed power ports, and a nice bathroom. The closet had plenty of hangers, a bag stand, mini-safe, and robes. The bed was VERY comfortable and the bed and bath linens quite luxe. I slept extremely well. The shower has two options--the rainshower overhead and a hand-held wand. Great water pressure and fast hot water. Terrific bath products in generous servings. There was a problem with my TV, but the service to fix it was swift and effective. Free wifi is a plus, although it's not powerful enough to stream. A well-stocked mini-bar plus a great bar downstairs made it all the nicer. Terrific location for mid-town meetings, especially if you are coming/going through Grand Central. I took a cab from the hotel to LaGuardia at 8 am on a week day and was in security within the hour. The only fix I would make is that the blackout curtains impede the a/c flow. I would stay at the Gotham again.

Room Tip: Back rooms are quieter and darker.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TVBelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

Spent a night at the hotel before heading upstate on the Hudson line. Booked through Expedia as the rate was quite a bit cheaper than the hotel's own website (US$270 incl. tax, services).

This is a great location as it is easy walking distance to the Grand Central Station, Times Square and most midtown areas. Checkin was quick and prompt and there isn't really much of a lobby to speak of. I have a high floor room with a balcony which looks out to a wall. It doesn't bother me much as I just need a room for a night but for a longer stay, I would probably prefer something facing the streets as it does get dark in the room.

Room was decent size for NY compared to the midtown Sheraton or Marriott Marquis that I have stayed at before. The hotel also looks to be quite new so shower and bathroom facilities are up-to-date with no issues.

Some other review mentioned long waiting time for elevator but it wasn't a problem during my stay even during morning rush hour. Checkout was also prompt and I didn't try the breakfast as it wasn't included in my rate. I would definitely stay here again when I am back and want to stay in midtown area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Victoria,BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in early September in a Skyline room. This hotel has all the makings of great boutique hotel, but misses why travelers opt for smaller hotels over large soul-less options. The location is excellent, the architecture and design are intriguing. The breakfast, while small was adequate and provided fresh berries, yogurt, baking. The room was very comfortable, the balcony lovely. Unfortunately many of the young staff kept their faces buried in their electronic devices while on duty. The worst example of this is the breakfast server. He blasted us with his choice of music, even vulgar rap, each morning, until I asked him to turn the music down on our last day. It was all we could do to get our 2 - half cups of warm coffee from him (I suppose that equals 1 full cup) before he pressed the bill at us making us feel it was time to leave. He never cleared one dish from our table in 4 mornings. With so many options, this hotel needs to know that it is service that makes a good hotel successful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carolin L
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed at the Gotham for a couple of nights in September, booked it last minute literally 2 hours before evening arrival and got a very nice discount. $120 a night which for this hotel is amazing price.
Location is excellent, within walking distance to times square, to central train station and to most of central Manhattan.
Room was perfect for one person, comfortable, clean, spacious, with cable, music, wifi and very impressed with how polite and helpful everyone was at the hotel.
Definitely staying here again if i can get similar rates.

Room Tip: Try to avoid front facing rooms as it can be noisy with all cars
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Rock Hill
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I came to NYC to attend the US Open during the 1st week of the tournament. This was my second stay at the Gotham. Staff was great. Room was excellent EXCEPT for the air conditioner which was blocked by the blackout drapery and did not get very cool. Our room faced the street in front of the hotel so we heard noise from the garbage truck one morning but that was it. The location was great for us to hop on the train to get to Flushing Meadow. We walked to see "The Book of Mormon" from the hotel in addition to getting to Time Square easily. There is a restaurant at the hotel but I did not eat there during either stay. Will definitely plan on staying here again during any trip to NYC.

Room Tip: Request a room that does not face the street.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

I recently stayed at The Gotham during a business trip to NYC - typically stay at large chain hotels however The Gotham was conveniently located and available. I always thought of staying here due to it's location, but was hesitant & thought it would be cramped & not have the amenities I look for. The staff was extremely pleasant, offered a complimentary glass of wine upon check in and the room was excellent. I had a King room- perhaps it was not a standard room but larger than the average NYC hotel room, lovely king size bed with excellent bedding, bright & contemporary furniture, large& modern bathroom and a robe [I only get this in hotels where I qualify for their top tier programs]. Overall a great choice if you are looking for a chic boutique hotel in midtown.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

I had never heard of the Gotham until I got stuck in New York because of a cancelled flight and booked a room on Hotel Tonight. Now, this is absolutely my favorite hotel. It is very zen -- meticulously clean, crisp, neutral colors, incredibly comfortable. Great location. I was greeted with a glass of wine by an attentive staff person. My room was flooded with light and had a great balcony where I had my morning coffee. Linens were fresh and clean, with a lovely fluffy duvet. The bathroom is well-designed with a rain shower. I will be back. Terrific hotel.

Room Tip: I was upgraded to a suite. Very comfortable and spacious.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business