“Let's Get Real Here....”
Review of The Gotham Hotel

The Gotham Hotel
Ranked #199 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Scarsdale, New York
“Let's Get Real Here....”
Reviewed March 13, 2011

The hotel is clean and new looking because . . . its new. They made a lot of a narrow building footprint, but let's be clear. There is no pool. No spa. No gym. No activity room for kids. No views (front rooms look out at an unattractive office bldg and the rear views are of . . . the back of an unattractive building). No common areas period, except for a tiny lobby area and an ok bar/restaurant behind the lobby and the hallway outside your room. That, plus your room, is it, folks, so don't get yourself all worked up. The location is good if you would like to be near Grand Central Terminal, reasonable walking distance to Times Square or a short to medium walk from your business meeting in Midtown Manhattan, but you are 15 blocks from the southern end of Central Park and much farther still from the shopping district on the upper east side, Lincoln Center, downtown, etc. You are, essentially, in the South end of the central business district of Manhattan. With a lack of amenities and a location near office towers, its a good location for a business traveler, but not ideal for romantic getaways, those expecting a full-service hotel with amenities or families who need a hotel that's more than a room. These generic "wow" reviews are not specific enough to give you a sense of where the hotel is located or what the hotel really is (an exceedingly narrow, tall, boutique hotel with a clean, modern look but no amenities). Nothing wrong with that, certainly, but clearly no 5-star property, as implied over and over here, considering the abundance of amenity-packed, luxurious hotels in New York with views and superior locations.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank businesswoman333

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed March 13, 2011

We had a room at 20th floor. We booked the hotel b/c of the good ratings that we found on tripadvisor. However, from the 5 nights we spent, on 3 the TV was not working due to cable issues, Internet down 1 night and on the others, the WIFI signal was very weak so that it was nearly impossible to use it. Also, although the room was on the back side and on the 20th floor, it was very noisy b/c of the AC machines in the back. The room was also very dark. Lastly, on one night where there was heavy rainfall, the rain came in through the window - and this hotel is only a couple of months old. I would not go back to that hotel again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank geronimo0412
Park City, Utah
Reviewed March 11, 2011

I just got back from a 1 night stay at The Gotham. I like the ease of check-in, the size and cleanliness of the rooms, free wireless and continental breakfast. The stay would be perfect if they had coffee in the rooms. They don't irons and boards in each room. Make sure you ask for one at check-in.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ParkCitySkiPlaces
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Wow! Check-in was effortless – I was greeted at the curb, escorted inside, asked if I’d like a glass of wine and moments later, asked if I was ready to go to my room…didn’t have to dig in my bag for the copy of my reservation or wallet. My room was wonderful, bathroom was exceptional, and it had a terrace! Where in midtown Manhattan does one find a terrace!?! I can’t wait to come back in the summer when the weather in better and I can enjoy it – Unfortunately, I know once people discover this place, it’ll be nearly impossible to get a reservation. Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank scelliott
Dublin
Reviewed February 20, 2011

As nice as any hotel I have stayed in with no fuss and a great price. What more could you want. I just stayed one night, but enjoyed the very classy welcome (a nice glass of red wine and a water), super comfortable huge bed, big room, flat screen, didn't use the terrace but I saw it, friendly staff, free wifi, continental breakfast. Not open long so I think that's why it was such good value.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 4, 2011

I booked this small boutique hotel because they offered an amazing price for midtown and the reviews on here were great.
And STILL I headed from the airport skeptical of what I was going to find upon check-in.
It was already dark at check in and the hotel is a little hard to see, but the orange cones helped us locate it on 46th between Madison and 5th.
Check in is a little different. They offer you a glass of wonderful wine (or water, etc) and you sit on the couch and someone comes to you to check you in. This process takes just a few moments!
So far, so good.
An employee (mine was the most beautiful young man I have ever seen, I kid you not) walks you up to the room and shows you around.
The room was soothing and simple, just like I like them. Large and furnished with quality stuff and a huge TV with a million cable and premium channels and AN ON SCREEN TV GUIDE JUST LIKE HOME!!!!!!! It's little things like that that make me LOVE a hotel!
With beautiful boy gone (and he was sweet!) I changed clothes and hopped into bed to watch my HBO show. That's when I noticed that the bed was SO comfy. Seriously, it was one of the best beds I have ever slept in in NYC!
I am very hot natured, VERY. I find winter in NYC awful mostly because people keep the buildings too damn hot. This building was no different. The lobby was not hot but the room was 76 and that might as well be an oven for me. It's expected. I know my room will be hot. The problem is cooling it down. So many rooms do not have operable windows and the a/c is not available in the dead of winter. This room has a sliding glass door, so I figured I would have one of those little 12 inch terraces. I am a fan of any sort of terrace, but this one was huge. Probably 6'x6'. I opened that baby up and let the 17 degree air fill the room! Once I got it down to 60 degrees I shut the door and made sure the heat was off. The insulation in the building is very good because the room creeped up to 70 and stayed there until the housekeeping staff turned it up to 79!!!!!!!!!!!! the next day!!!!!! So, I simply repeated the routine. The next morning I put a sign on the thermostat asking them to leave it off and they did :)
The bathroom tilework and design was beautiful and functional. There is a rain shower, which is nice. The Bigalow products smell and work great!
Wifi is free, which is a nice and unexpected bonus!
The room was spotless and staff was friendly and enthusiastic.
The location was awesome. All sorts of food and convenience right there at your fingertips yet the room was dead quiet. I had an inside room and did not hear a peep the entire stay.
I will certainly go back to this hotel on my next trip to NYC!!!
I just hope once everyone discovers them they have rooms available for me!
PS... I think the restaurant opens soon.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank TxTravelPro
London
Reviewed February 1, 2011

stayed here for 8 days at end Jan. great location and everything is new and clean. very ample rooms for NYC. free wine etc in lobby. fresh fruit on pillow each night. good sized fridge for own items. nice rain-forest style shower.

good continental breakfast but US-style i.e. no ham and cheese but good bagels to to toast. helpfull staff. great location. concierge , Nathan, organised a comfortable SUV to JFK for $65 including tolls! free Wi Fi across hotel.

as the hotel is new suspect lack of reviews is resposible for current lowish rating on tripadvisor. got a good rate on booking.com. was almost going to keep this one to myself ...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo