“Not the best”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
the best chocolate cake in the world
Neighborhood: Nolita
Description: They just opened a couple months ago. Their website is still in Portuguese (they are based in Brazil).
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I went to the Upper East Side location and had the bittersweet version of the cake. At $7.50 it is grossly overpriced. Besides the cost, the cake does not live up to its reputation. It is just a bland too sweet wishy-washy concoction that may pass in a kindergarten birthday party but will disappoint you if you are in search of the best.
The store is tiny and so was the slice I was given. Don't bother.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

The name says it all! The coffee was exceptional, too. I've eaten a lot of chocolate cake in my life, so I'm not sure it's the best, but it sure is in the top 5! Next time I might order and eat a whole cake and not just a piece. They have a website: www.thebestchocolatecake.com

3  Thank JoyBulldog
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Very tiny place, but such delicious cake! It truly is the best flourless cake I've ever had. Not too sweet or dense...just right!! And the coffee they have is perfectly paired with the cake!! In fact, we are throwing an engagement party for my friend and they ship cakes - and I'm ordering one to be flown here. Just the thing for a chocolate fanatic!

Reviewed September 18, 2011

Absolutely deserving of its name. I LOVE this chocolate cake.The texture & taste combine to make this my favorite chocolate cake.

The only issue with this place is that it's so small. You can only sit 8-10 people at a time, and the space is narrow. At $7-8 a slice (totally worth it), you'd expect them to be able to afford a slightly larger space. But what do I know about owning a business?

Reviewed July 10, 2011

Yes Indeed.......the name of this restaurant is exactly what it is.....the Best Chocolate Cake in the World. This is a New York outpost of the Brazilian restaurant in São Paolo, O Melhor Bolo de Chocolate de Mundo. Their website is in Portuguese so all you really get is the photos of the cakes. This is a recipe made without flour or baking powder (so some people will undoubtedly complain that this is not a fluffy gooey kind of cake.....please try it anyway.......I guarantee you will be surprised). There are actually 3 different cakes, a sugary one made with 53 percent cocoa, a semisweet made with 70 percent, and — for those adventurous of palate — a bitter, zero-sugar version that's lower in calories.

This place is absolutely definitely worth the extra effort to get to for desert. It's a well hidden secret of NY and will set your palate on end as far as what cake can be. My wife and I have not tried the semisweet (we will next weekend though), but were absolutely amazed by both the cocoa and semisweet versions. Incredible!

Here are directions......just use subway line 6 to Spring St. and then walk to 55A Spring St, (between Lafayette and Mulberry) their phone is 212-343-2253, M-F 8A-midnight; Sa-Su 10A-midnight

1  Thank RickMIusa