“Tasty!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Torrisi Italian Specialties - CLOSED

Torrisi Italian Specialties
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Nolita
Cross street: Prince street
Transit: By Subway: Broadway/Lafayette: BDFM/6 and Prince: N/R.
Cheltenham
“Tasty!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

3 day visit to NYC, my wife fancied Italian for our last night so I had a quick search of michelin starred restaurants and my eye was drawn to Torrisi. Tasting menu at $100 was great value we thought. The star of the show was octopus and squid ink pasta with sheeps milk gnocchi. Quite simply the best gnocchi I have ever tasted! A mention must go to our waiter tonight who could have been a maître d' in most restaurants! Bravo!

• Visited June 2014

Quebec City, Canada
“Expensive and disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

We were a bit taken aback when we realized that we were going to be in for a tasting menu which is not our idea of a typical Italian meal. We tried to cancel but would have been charged 100$ per person so we decided to go after all thinking how disappointed could we be? The tasting menu was certainly thoughtfully prepared and in all fairness some of the tidbits were quite tasty though most of the menu had nothing to do with the exquisite simple meals we've come to love in Italy. By the time we got around to something that finally seemed authentically Italian (lovely gnocchi) our tastebuds were in overdrive. We made it to the end but just barely. The wine was good but overpriced and unfortunately was not our first choice as the wine we chose was sold out. All in all not the dining experience for which we had hoped. If you like trendy tasting menus rather than simple Italian cuisine this might be the place for youé

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank eek9
New York City, New York
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

Having been to Torrisi 2 years previously and loved it we were very excited at returning ( from Australia) to experience the wonderful food and warm service.
Unfortunately this time was a totally different experience! Whilst some courses of the 10 course degustation were brilliant and exciting (spaghetti and octopus, mackerel and eggplant) there were some very disappointing dishes (dried "poussin" and "rainbow dessert") and the serves were of a size that I'm still hungry(!) and no possibility of ordering any more food. The service was condescending and pretentious ( we do know a lot about food - our son being a chef in Australia that the Torrisi chefs visited!) and seemed reluctant to engage in discussion regarding the food being served.
This is not an inexpensive restaurant but I am always happy to pay for good food and good service . Diasappointed on both accounts!

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Simon W
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Worth the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

I went for Easter dinner this year. It was a 9 course meal. All of the food was great. I really enjoyed most of the courses. There was 1 fish course, that I didn't care for, but that could just be my taste buds.

My only regret was choosing the wine pairings. Usually there is a little taste of wine at each course, but here I was given a full glass with each pairing. It was just too much alcohol (and I like alcohol).

Visited April 2014
Bellerose, New York, USA
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Went for our wedding anniversary. 10 course tasting menu. Outstanding! One of the best meals ever. Highly recommended.

Visited April 2014