“Room with a view”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea
Ranked #161 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

So when checking in I asked for a room with a view I was told they didn't have any left so I asked again just seeing and was told I reserved a king room which are in the back. I booked on Priceline with an option of either a king or double no option for a room with a view. So then I checked on there website and I could book a king room with a view so I guess I just felt lied too. I just enjoy a view when I'm in nyc. The room was nice enough, small, no room for stuff in the bathroom on the counter and no place to put your clothes. Was a good price but I like a view so I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Majewel
FFIChlGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Majewel,

Thank you for taking the time to post on our page. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the room you booked, however there are many different factors that can affect the available room types. We may not have had a room with a view for all of the nights you had stayed or we may not have had any complimentary upgrades available since the rooms with views are at a higher price point.

I encourage you to book directly through the Marriott website, all of our available rooms are displayed and match any rates found anywhere online. We hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future and please do not hesitate to contact us directly with any concerns before your next booking. Safe travels!

Reviewed January 29, 2014

This is not a hotel for a business traveler ... which for some is good but for a business traveler I would say go someplace else.

I had a quick business trip to New York so I booked an overnight here. The room was clean and the staff friendly. The room was also quiet, all points I value but it ended there.

The room is however tiny small (much smaller than competing hotels across the street or one or two blocks away where I have stayed in the past). The heat control in the room is poor and the desk is a tiny table wedged in a corner. Every time I tried to get out of the desk chair (it is the only chair in the room) it was banging into the heater or the bed because the room is so SMALL and the desk is stuck in the corner.

The heat seemed to have one setting on or off. I would get cold so I pushed the thermostat up one degree and then the room would get boiling hot so then I pushed it down a degree and it would go off and never come back on (or worse yet one time the a/c kicked on) till the point the room was so cold you had to go push it back up a degree.

Also the room has no draws or anyplace to put clothes or anything down. To work I had to spread out things on the bed. There are tiny (useless) shelves in a corner and a small cupboard with hangers. I ended up using the stone windowsill which meant everything got freezing cold. Only other place would be to pile things on the floor and climb over them because there is no chair or bureau or .... Same in the bathroom no counter top or shelf or place to put anything other on the very small edge of the sink.

They say they have a "full service business center" but that turns out to be two computers in the corner of the breakfast room. I had a word processing file to print out but there are no programs on the computers. I asked at the front desk and the staff said they would look into it. I asked later in the day and they attitude was "oh well" and the staff suggested you can go down the street to Staples. (As I pointed out later to the manager if I go down the street I can go the Indigo Hotel or the Hilton or the Holiday Inn or the Doubletree or .... all within a stone throws and better equipped for travelers.) I said that is not a business center and the response from the front desk: complain to management. I said you are management as far as a guest is concerned and they laughed. I did later complain to management that the computers had no programs like Word and the response was we can not do that because of licenses. I have stayed in a LOT of hotels (business oriented and otherwise) and this is the only one which does not have its computers set up with a basic programs. The manager says you can down load a viewer program if you want.... really if you say you have a "full service business center" and want to have business travelers you need to be better set up and not expect us to be searching out and downloading programs or going down the street for a BASIC service.

Personally as I said I would suggest one of the other hotels all within a block or two (some across the same street) any of which I have had better experiences with than this one when I stayed at those other hotels.

For a hotel in the Marriott band I expected better service and better facilities. This hotel comes across as discount no service hotel. Is that what Marriott wants?

Room Tip: The rooms are tiny so don't bring a lot of things.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Frequentraveler_724
FFIChlGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Dear FrequentTraveler_724,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and are sorry to hear that you felt that the hotel was not geared towards business travellers.

We have quite a few different room types and all vary in size and layout, next time please do not hesitate to ask to be changed into a different room. All of our room sizes are quite competitive in regards to other properties throughout Manhattan an they all have a full armoire with shelving uints, however I apologize that we did not meet your needs.

The computers all have Microsoft Office Viewer. Unfortunately we do not have the capability to create new documents, but you can absolutely print any documents from this program. Our staff also gave a few suggestions regarding different websites that do allow you to make edits to documents at no charge.

We hope that you will chose to stay with us again in the future so that we can ensure you have a better experience. Safe travels!

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Only a few blocks from Penn Station, one block from F.I.T. and if you must shop big box - there's a Macy's right near Penn Station. The hotel was clean - very clean, the room was quiet, the staff polite, the bed was spotless and it had a comfortable topper. In fact, it was so comfortable I didn't want to leave the room.
Breakfast was included and full - everything a normal person would want. No sour fruit, everything was fresh. The breakfast area was really inviting as it was off the back of the hotel and had glass windows for bright and positive atmosphere.
Oh - FREE WI FI - a note to all the hotels that charge for this feature: I consider this when selecting a hotel. There's nothing more annoying then paying $10.00 to connect with a laptop.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Chris O

Dear Chris O,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our property! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your kind words. We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I recently stayed at this Hotel and I have nothing but good things to say. The Hotel is in a great location, breakfast was good, room was clean and comfortable. From the moment I arrived through my stay, the staff were exceptional. They were professional, kind, friendly, accommodating, and knowledgeable. I would definitely recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
FFIChlGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear NTCYYZ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post on our property! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Safe travels!

Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed at here for 2 nights on our way to Paris, and it fit our needs perfectly. The room was tiny, but not a big concern for us because we were doing a lot of sightseeing and knew in advance that we wouldn't be spending much time in the room. The location was convenient, close to the multiple subway lines. The hotel was clean, well decorated and the staff was accommodating. They were able to provide early check-in and also hold our luggage after checkout. The free breakfast was better than most for this type of hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
FFIChlGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear bookwormj,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response on our property! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your kind words! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Our second visit and every bit as good as the first. Hotel was a bit quieter than on our last visit in June 2013.
We had a room on the eight floor overlooking West 28th. Elevator was outside our door but very little noise. Shower pressure was excellent. Room was nice and clean and no noise from adjoining ones.
Breakfast was decent and they kept everything replenished. Parking (validated) was perhaps a three minute walk across Sixth Ave and cost only $25 for 24 hours. Staff very friendly, particularly the Dominican gentleman at reception.
Area is great and just far enough away from the Empire State tourist madness to feel you are in the real NYC. Chelsea Market an easy walk and lots of good restaurants further south on Sixth and on Eighth Aves.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DuncanH
FFIChlGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear DuncanH,

Welcome back! Thanks again for staying with us - and for taking the time to post such another lovely review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed here with my son while visiting my daughter in NYC.
Pros: location was great. I love Chelsea. The metro was a couple of blocks away although you could easily walk to midtown. The shower was really good - son made mention of it. Staff here is very pleasant. Cost is not too bad - actually quite good for double beds (which are hard to find in NYC). room was clean. Breakfast was good - eggs were unusually good for a chain buffet. Hotel was quiet - the way the hallway is set up you don't have many neighbors.
Cons: heating unit was not reliable. We had to turn the heat up to 77 to get it to start. Room was very cold when we got there. The fan would switch to cold air once the heat got to the appointed degrees, so you were continually either hot or cold. Also, the unit was very quiet, which was actually a minus in the city - couldn't drown out the street noise (although we were up high, so the noise at night was not an issue). Parking is about a half block away, very convenient and very cheap for NY.
Beds were not the most comfortable. Room was small, but hey, its NY. Bathroom was very small and it would be nice if there were some extra hooks for clothes/towels.
Overall, a good value for NY but not if you want to hang around your room/hotel.

Room Tip: go up high to avoid street noise. Ask for a view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank hoyaalum
FFIChlGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear hoyaalum,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback. We have passed on the information about your hvac to our engineering department and will absolutely look into that unit - thank you for letting us know! We hope to see you again soon!