“Good for price”

Ranked #203 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Albany, New York
“Good for price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

The front desk staff was very welcoming, we arrived midmorning , hoping to store our luggage, so we could start exploring the city. They took our luggage and offered coffee and snacks and we hadnt even checked inn, all with a smile! The room was quiet, no street noise, we were on the fourth floor. My husband said the heater was noisey, but no worse than most hotel rooms. Good location subway at corner, the hotel is in the flower district. Only complaint, hard to spot hotel, we literally were practically in front of building, per GPS and had to cross street , to ask at the Hilton where the Fairfield was located. The room was adequate, but bath towels very thin and need replacement.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
FFIChlGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Dubrule,

Thank you for taking the time to post on our property! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate all of your kind words! We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

I had a horrible experience at this Fairfield Inn and will try my luck elsewhere. They're too cheap to provide proper heat! Room was freezing, I turned on the heat and it never adequately kicked in. I raised it to 77 just to get some heat pumping, but it never rose above 65, and I'm being generous on that. I asked for help, the maintenance guy came in and told me that it was 77 in there because the thermostat said so. I complained an hr later, and the front desk told me that they cap the heat to save energy costs. Nice in the fall, bad when it's 20 degrees outside with snow on the ground. The "tip" was to set it to 74, so that the room would at least heat up to that temp. But it never even got there.

Worse, my room didn't even have an extra blanket. As is, the comforter on the bed was way too thin for a winter day, even with heat. There's no way I could have spent the night there without the extra blanket. So for $250, I had the privilege to sleep in thermals.

Beyond that, the free WiFi was horribly slow and unusable. Even the wired Internet connection cut in and out constantly. Horrible for a business traveler. Second, someone on my floor was smoking weed at 4pm on a Monday. When I asked to change rooms to a non-smoking floor, they informed me that the whole building was non-smoking. I don't think they ever caught the guy because my room smelled again when I returned to the room later that night. So that's unlucky on my part, but still made a bad experience even worse.

So no, never staying here again. I'll only give it a 2 star because it was relatively clean and surprisingly quiet.

Room Tip: Bring thermals- they skimp on the heat.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Brian C
FFIChlGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Brian C,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your concerns. I am very disappointed in the experience you encountered and am proud to say that we are already addressing many of your concerns.
I apologize that you did not feel that the guest room was warm enough for you, at the very least we should have provided additional blankets. While our engineering team inspects all of the units frequently, we have re-energized our efforts to ensure that all of the units are working properly.
In the new year, we are adding additional bandwidth and wireless routers to all of our guest floors. We hope that you will be pleasantly surprised with the new capabilities.
While our property is a 100% smoke free facility, we unfortunately cannot control the behavior of all of our guests. There is a penalty inflicted upon guests who chose to ignore our policies and we do everything we can to discourage this behavior, including calling the authorities if the behavior does not stop. It can take some time to remove the smell so I apologize for the inconveniences this caused you.We hope you will return as we are constantly seeking new ways to improve our guests experience, safe travels!
Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

For those who yearn for those days of the 90s & early 00s - this place will please you. There is Wi-Fi in the rooms, but at least in my room it's ponderously slow, so it's just like dial-up.

Otherwise, it's an OK place. The room has a decent-sized flat screen TV & a decent selection of channels. Some channels are in HD, but not all. The room is on the smallish side, but it is NYC so space is at a premium. My room has only a shower, which is fine for me, but may not be for everyone. The towels are on the thin side, but passable. There seems to be plenty of hot water.
The iron & board was handy to give my wrinkled shirts a fresher look from out of the suitcase.

The hotel does offer a nice free breakfast. I was told there's a small gym on-site, but I didn't look for it. The location is conveniently located to get to many NYC attractions.

Room Tip: Rooms facing 28th street have a view. It's a nice street with a lot of floral businesses. It...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear fried003,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your concerns! We are actually currently in the process of selecting a new vendor for our complimentary wireless internet access. We are constantly trying to improve our guests' experience and sincerely value your feedback. We hope that you will be impressed with our new, faster service on your next visit! Hope to see you again soon!
Moorpark, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

We stayed here before our flight to Rome and loved the place and all the staff. We booked it again for our return from Italy four weeks later. Again it was just the best. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in NYC. Price wise it cannot be beat, it's spotless, great location, quiet, good breakfast, super comfy beds, everything works perfectly, and I cannot say enough about the staff - they're wonderful. Not one single negative for this place. Ask for a room with a view of the Empire State Building. Our room on our return had one and we got such a kick out of seeing the lights on it change each night. We had no idea it did that. Thank you Fairfield for giving us a perfect place to rest our weary heads. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for view of Empire State Building.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
FFIChlGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Linda C,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a lovely review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and sincerely appreciate all of your kind words! We hope to see you again soon!
Baltasound, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

The rooms here are very nice (updated, clean and not a bad size for NYC) and the location is great. The lack of customer service my entire trip was very disappointing though,especially the last day when I've discovered that I've been overcharged and it seemed like they wouldn't want to take responsibility for any mistake. I've booked,like every time before that,through booking.com,and I have been given a total price,including the 14.75% tax!excluding city tax. It may have been a mistake they've made when it was advertised on the website,but that's got nothing to do with me. I am actually dealing with this matter as we speak,because they wouldn't even consider looking into this,they've still charged me extra.
The receptionists,they were two that day,ganged up together and the lack of professionalism and the way there approached the whole situation made me feel as if I am a 5 year old who doesn't understand a thing,even though I was the one reading to them their "terms and conditions".
It was my 40th birthday trip to New York,something I've dreamed a very long time,but it's been spoiled by two very aggressive and loud ladies,who I personally think they should take a different customer service approach.
The room was small(nothing bad,just a little too small then I expected),but extremely clean. Breakfast staff was very polite and professional.
Not a good experience!
19th of November,just in case you need to find the names of the two ladies in duty.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Gabriela I
FFIChlGM, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Gabriela I,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post on our property! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel but disappointed to hear that you had some issues! Booking.com does not include taxes on ANY of their US reservations as the taxes vary from state to state, and then often within the towns of the individual states - New York City, for example, has more taxes than the rest of NY State. I apologize if this was not explained to you very well, but it is listed on all confirmation letters from booking.com. Our listing on booking.com even states this directly under the room rate 'Not included: 14.75 % TAX, USD 3.50 city tax per person per night.'
If you feel that booking.com made an error in the verbiage on your reservation confirmation, please do not hesitate to reach out to them as they would then be the ones to assist you. We hope to see you again soon!
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is walking distance from Penn station. We landed at Newark airport and there is a direct train from Newark to Penn so it was very convenient. It is also very close to times square which is the centre of all activities in New York.

Hotel checkin process was very smooth, rooms were excellent, very neat and clean, had everything one can ask for. Bathrooms were neat and clean. Has complimentary internet with good connectivity throughout the hotel.

Other great thing about the hotel is that it also serves good basic breakfast. So you dont have to go outside in the morning in search of food. Hotel is also close to quite a few Indian restaurants so if you are like me who misses Indian food after two days then this is again a great place to stay.

Staff is very helpful and does all things possible to make your stay comfortable.

Great hotel, excellent location.

Room Tip: Go for high floor rooms facing the empire state building.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Everyone from the front desk to the housekeeper was gracious and welcoming.
I'd stay here again just because of the excellent staff.
Good location (very easy walk from the Mega Bus stop.)

The free breakfast was a nice addition in NY (one reason I chose this particular Marriott.)
And free wifi is always great. (Every hotel should do this.)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple