“Quiet rooms, nice part of town, great breakfast.”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea
Ranked #191 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Quiet rooms, nice part of town, great breakfast.”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My husband had a business trip to NYC, so our 3 year old and I decided to tag along. We wanted to stay somewhere close to Times Square without blowing our budget, and we thought this was a great option.

We traveled by Megabus from Washington DC, and we were dropped off very close to this hotel. We were a little early for check in, and they gave us the option of checking in right then, or waiting until actual check in time for a room with a fold-out chair for our daughter. We opted to wait, and they were happy to hold our bags while we killed some time. All of our dealings with the staff were very professional and personable. They even gave our daughter a little cow toy, which she played with the entire stay.

The room itself was smaller, but that was to be expected in New York City, and for our short stay we didn't mind it. Our three year old thought the fold out chair was one of the coolest things in the world. For an adult, it would be a little tight, but she slept soundly on it all night. We enjoyed the king bed, it was very comfortable.

I'm a big fan of anywhere that offers free breakfast, and this spread did not disappoint. They had lots of good options for all of us. To name a few options, they offered cereals, toast, bagels, yogurts, Del Monte grapefruit and fruit cups, hard boiled eggs, orange and cranberry juice, apples and bananas, coffee and hot chocolate, and Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches. It was so nice not to have to worry about breakfast every morning, especially with a child in tow. There was plenty of seating available.

The location was great. Walking distance to Time Square and Penn Station, and a Subway station on the same block. Lots of reviews mention the flowers outside, which is true! It is a nice touch.

As we checked out, we grabbed some cookies from the front desk. I was impressed with the staff who were friendly and happy.

Overall- this was a great deal, with a comfortable, quiet room and free breakfast, and friendly staff. Our room was on the smaller size, but perhaps they offer bigger ones, or this is good for smaller traveling groups. Easy access to public transportation, and also walking distance to many attractions. We enjoyed our stay here!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hello Liliribs,

Thank you so much for the fantastic review! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and had a great stay with us. You are absolutely right, our beds are super comfortable and I am glad that you had a good night's rest. I am also glad that you enjoyed the flower district, it does indeed make for a veritable garden right outside our front door! Thank you also for your comments about the staff, I always like hearing that they provided extraordinary service and took good care of you and your daughter. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast. I hope you had a safe trip back to our nation's capital, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to New York!

Robert Brashler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This was the best NYC hotel stay I've had in a while.

My room was large by Manhattan standards, with space to move around, a small closet (big enough for storing clothes and a suitcase), a d desk area and flat-screen TV. And, the room and bathroom were both spotlessly clean.

I had paid a little extra for a view room, and got what I paid for: a great view of the Empire State Building.

I loved the rooftop deck - the view was outstanding and it was nice to go up there for some fresh air (or a smoke).

The staff - particularly those at the front desk - could not have been more friendly and helpful.

I loved the Chelsea location - lots of food options nearby, and walking distance to one of my favorite bars/clubs.

My only (very minor) complaint was the configuration of the bathroom - when you opened the bathroom door the toilet stuck out and was kind of in the way so you had to open the door all the way to get around the toilet to the sink area. Not a big deal, though. The shower was great and the sink was stylish with plenty of space (including cupboards underneath) to store stuff.

I really enjoyed my stay here. In the future this will definitely be one of my top choices for my favorite long weekend travel destination - New York City!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hello Keith,

Thank you for the great review! I am glad to hear that you had a terrific stay with us, and were able to take advantage of the city view rooms. They certainly do offer tremendous views and I'm glad you enjoyed the rooftop deck as well. I am also pleased to hear that the staff provided exceptional service--they are certainly among the best in the city! I do understand your comments about the bathroom door, in the room line you were in the configuration is slightly awkward. We are in the process of reversing these so that they swing the other way. I hope that you had a safe trip back to Chicago, and we are thrilled that you will be making our hotel your home away from home when in New York!

Baltimore, MD
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I normally stay within the Hilton brand chain so this was my first time trying a Marriott. I must say everything about this hotel was fabulous. Joanne and Brandi at the front desk were so accommodating with everything my mother and I needed. They provided prompt service, gave us a room before the designated 3pm check out time which was great since we needed to get dressed and head to a TV show taping. Rooms were very clean. They weren't the most spacious, but it's New York so what do you expect? But the amenities were very modern and the location is to die for. Right smack dab in the middle of Chelsea. Breakfast was good too! Would definitely stay here again. Thanks for making our stay so fabulous front desk!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hello Maria,

Thank you for the great review! I am thrilled to hear that you and your daughter had a fantastic stay with us and a great trip to New York. You are absolutely right, our location is to die for and makes for an incredibly convenient base for exploring the city. Thank you also for your comments regarding Joanne and Brandi. They are the best in the city and I have shared your comments with them. I hope that you had a safe trip back to Baltimore, and we definitely hope you will come back and see us again on your next trip to Manhattan!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We have never been to NYC so we were kinda shocked to get a large room,new and clean. As we have heard from other people on their visits to NYC the complete opposite.

Rooms are excellent and the staff this hotel are amazingly helpful and sooooo nice and kind....loved it and we will back.Thank you to the staff for everything!!!

Room Tip: Ask to get a high floor room ending in 02,04,06.....this will face Empire state:)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Hello Krabbir,

Thank you for the great review! I am pleased to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us. You are abslutely right, our staff is the best and do indeed make for an amazing hotel. I have shared your comments with them as it is reviews like yours that keep them energized and motivated. We hope that you had a safe trip back home and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again on your next trip to Manhattan!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is a simple and small hotel that has reasonable rates ( FOR NEW YORK ) but boy the service by ALL the staff was simply fantastic! I have never come across such sweet and friendly hotel staff........ THANK YOU GUYS
my first trip to New York and I was not expecting people to be so friendly.
The room was on the small side but very nice, with great views of the empire state building and it looked like it had been recently renovated. Breakfast was included, very basic, but it was ok. the location in the midle of the Flower district was very cute and the hotel is only five minute walk away from 5th Ave and Empire State Building........if your like us and only use a hotel to sleep and wash, this is a very good one thats closs to EVERYTHING. well worth a stay

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor at the front of the building to get a view of the Empire State Buil...
Hello Flip-Traveler,

Thank you for the great review! I always enjoy reading guest feedback, and especially appreciate reviews such as yours! I am glad to hear that the staff was friendly and accommodating. We are trying to show the world that there are friendly New Yorkers! I hope that you had a safe trip back to Australia, and we do look forward to having you stay with us again on your second trip to New York!

Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We spent 4 nights at this hotel in April, in a king room. As previous reviewers have said, rooms are small but this is the norm in NYC. Our room didn't have a view but was really quiet, something we have not experienced in NYC before.

We paid $250 + taxes per night which was reasonable compared to other hotel prices as it was just after Easter.

The best bits - friendly helpful staff, complimentary Starbucks coffee & tea 24/7, very comfortable bed, view from the rooftop of ESB & the skyline, close to the subway, reasonable continental breakfast, and delicious free cookies in the afternoon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Hello Sue,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, I always enjoy reading guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you had a nice stay with us and finally found a "quiet" room in Manhattan. You are absolutely right, our beds are super comfortable and make for a great night's sleep. I am also glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of the rooftop terrace, the views are indeed marvelous and it is a wonderful spot to take in the city. Thank you also for your comments about the staff--they are the best in the city! I have shared your comments with them, as it is reviews like yours that keep them motivated and energized. I hope you had a safe trip back home, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to New York!

Moorpark, California
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Absolutely no complaints at all during our four night stay. Can't think of a single thing to gripe about since this inn exceeded all our expectations AND was a great value. The staff is excellent, the location is really good and very quiet, the bed and pillows were comfortable, everything spotless and in good condition/working order, breakfast was a cut above, plenty of lighting in the room which is rare, plus the elevators are fast and larger than many. I could go on and on, but you get the idea - we're really happy campers! Be sure to take the elevator to the rooftop for a wonderful view of the Empire State Buiding.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Hello Linda,

Thank you for such a great review! I am thrilled to hear that you had a fantastic stay and were really happy campers. You are absolutely right, our beds are super comfortable and do make for a great night's sleep. I am also pleased to hear that you found the staff to be excellent, and have shared your comments with them. I am also glad that you were able to take advantage of our rooftop terrace, as it does offer marvelous views of the city. I hope that you had a safe trip back home, and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back and exceeding your expectations again!