“Convenient Location”

Ranked #207 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Clarence Center, New York
“Convenient Location”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was our second "Girl Trip" to visit NYC between Christmas and New Year's. We reserved two rooms in August including room 1805 - a two room suite with two double beds and a sofa pull-out and two full baths for the 20 and under crowd and another two double bed standard room for the three middle-aged moms. Even though I had called to confirm the week prior when we arrived the standard double was not available because the prior guest decided to stay an additional night. We were "upgraded" to a King room with pull-out chair/bed. This would have been fine except that attempting to sleep on the chair was impossible. I've never been on something so uncomfortable. This could probably be remedied by offering memory foam toppers to use on the pull-outs.
Other than that the hotel was great even though it was very busy during this week. Breakfast is simple but adequate and was kept stocked. They could use an additional coffee/hot water station when this busy to keep up with the breakfast crowd. The large table in the eating area was great for our group as well providing us a place to sit and visit. One night we brought in take-out from the Japanese restaurant just down the block and had dinner there.
There is a large wall-mounted TV in that area along with another in the atrium eating area for breakfast. There are also 4 lounge chairs with a TV in the lobby.
The entire staff and manager are incredibly pleasant and well-trained.
Beautiful view of illuminated Empire State Building from the roof-top which was accessible by the elevator or stairs at night.

Room Tip: Pull-out chairs and sofas should not qualify as beds.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Hello Kiminniecricket,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, I always appreciate receiving guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had a nice "girl trip" to New York City. I would like to extend my apologies that a room with 2 beds was not available on the first night of your stay. Our hotel does have a limited amount of double rooms, and from time to time guests do extend their stays which puts a strain on the availability of those rooms. I am glad that the staff was able to get you a room with 2 beds the next morning. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly on your next girls weekend in the city, and I will ensure that a double room is available for you. I would also like to thank you for the foam topper suggestion, it would certainly remedy the problem and we have ordered some already. I hope that you had a safe trip back home, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the future!

Robert Brashler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We found that the Fairfield was in the right location for all the places we wanted to get to. The room was small but clean and well appointed, the staff were friendly and helpful and it had all the things we needed for our weekend in NYC. I'd agree with a previous reviewer that it can be noisy (we were facing 28th St) and if you are a light sleeper, then earplugs may be useful. After a busy day of walking and touring though, we didn't have a lot of problems sleeping through the noise. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Hello Teena,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, I always enjoy receiving guest feedback. I am glad to hear that you had a nice stay with us. You are absolutely right, our location is the best and centrally located to anywhere you want to go in the city. I am also pleased to hear your comments about the service and housekeeping, I have passed them along to the team. I do hope you had a pleasant trip back home and hope you will come visit us again the next time you are in New York!

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Skim the best off the prior reviews and you have a fair assessment of the Fairfield. Fantastic location just blocks away (an easy walk) from Penn Station in the Flower District of Chelsea.
Room was fair sized for Manhattan and included an excellent breakfast (serving a myriad of items) in an attrium setting...a wonderful wake-up for a trip to Manhattan where you would have to pay out the nose normally for this setting and service. Three PCs off the lobby for surfing and printing (no charge). Desk personnel were both accommodatng and genuinely friendly...you do NOT get this in the city, ever...especially at this value price.
Room maid service was quite good and the rooms were modern and quite clean.
I'd stay again, with NO reservations whatsoever.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DrBus
Hello DrBus,

Thank you for such a great review! I am thrilled to hear that you had a lovely say with us and enjoyed your visit. It is very nice to hear that the staff provided top notch service, and I have shared your comments with them. It is reviews like yours which keep them motivated and energized. I do hope that you had a safe trip back home, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again on your next trip to New York!

USA
Reviewed December 18, 2012

There's an old saying that "you get what you pay for." Not sure that applies here. Often more expensive than neighboring Hampton Inns, the Fairfield Inn is not superior. In fact, while Hampton serves a freshly cooked hot and varying breakfast every morning, Fairfield Inn offers pre-wrapped Jimmy Dean sandwiches to heat by microwave oven. And, although the hotel is fairly new, the rooms are already starting to show wear and tear. So unless you're a Marriott loyalist, you may be paying a higher price here than at a similarly themed Hampton Inn and not getting anything in return. Of course if you're a Marriott Elite, upon check in you get two bottles of cheap water with a value of less than 50 cents. Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Hello Nice Person,

Thank you for your review, I always appreciate receiving guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you found our hotel to be reasonably good, but disappointed to hear that you felt our hotel is overpriced compared to neighboring facilities. I can assure you that the rate you paid was the best available for your dates, and our hotel is always competitively priced in the marketplace. I would invite you to visit our webpage for Marriott's "Look No Further" best rate guarantee. I am also pleased to let you know that beginning in the spring, all Fairfield Inns will begin offering a hot breakfast, which will enhance our breakfast offerings. I hope that you will give us another try, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New York City.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed December 16, 2012

It is overwhelming to try and pick a hotel to stay at in Manhattan but our driving force was to pick one in close proximity to Eataly where we had a cooking class to attend. The rooms are small but omfortable. The people who worked the front desk and the breakfast area were really helpful and nice to us. The hotel is clean and for the most part price matches what you get for a NYC hotel. It also was nice and quiet for NYC.
The morning breakfast which is included in your hotel rate was very more than adequate to start your day off. Coffee is on 24/7 which is nice when you are there in the winter.. It is still close to places like Chelsea market, Macy's, and Times square.
When we go back to NYC next winter we would stay there again. Jonathan Gersh, Assistant General Manager was very helpful. say hello to him from us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Hello Tomaro,

Thank you for such a great review! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel, and had a great time in New York. You are absolutely right, our location is fantastic and Eataly is a wonderful place! I hope you enjoyed it. I am also pleased to hear that the staff gave you first class service. I have shared your comments with them and thank you for recognizing Jonathan, he is the best! I hope you had a safe trip back home and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to New York City!

Colorado Spring
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Nice Hotel. Interesting area walking around New York surrounded by vendors selling trees/flowers on the street. Added a unique twist to the experience. About 3 blocks from Madison Square Garden. Great location. I am Platinum at Marriott and wasn't even offered an upgrade of any kind. Breakfast was great and delicious. Nice indoor courtyard to eat. Wireless was fast and convenient. Fitness gym was nice, under ground and no windows but equipment was sufficient.

One recommendation for management - Provide ear plugs to guests. I was on the 7th floor and there were non-stop sirens at all times of the day. Annoying but understandable being in NYC.

Overall a nice stay.

Room Tip: I would try to get on as high of a floor as possible to try to muffle out sound of sirens.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ThatBGuye
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Hello Thatbguye,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I always enjoy reading guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and had a nice time in New York City. You are absolutely right, our location can't be beat and the flower district is a lovely place to walk around. I'm sorry to hear that there was not an upgrade available, please reach out to me the next time you will be in the city and I will see to it that you are blocked into a quiet room. I hope you had a safe trip back home, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon!

Jefferson City, Missouri
Reviewed December 3, 2012

First of all, the location is excellent. Two different subway lines within a half-block. In the middle of the flower district, very pleasant walking through the fragrant and beautiful greenery and flowers that the shops put out on the sidewalks to sell. The hotel staff were top-notch. Always pleasant, eager to assist, knowledgeable about the area. The complimentary breakfast was much more than your standard fare. Many hot and cold options in a self-serve area that was kept well stocked, as well as neat and clean. Proteins, fruits, cereals, and multiple beverage choices. Lots of seating, too. It was also a very nice surprise to find complimentary hot coffee/hot tea/hot chocolate available to guests 24/7. The room was excellent as well. Comfortable and clean. Not too cramped, unless you are trying to cram a family of 3 or 4 into one room. In that case, it might be a little tight. I did not have a single complaint during my four-night stay. There was not anything that I wished were different. Thank you, Staff of the Fairfield Inn in Chelsea. Well done!

Room Tip: If you are visiting NYC during the holiday season, and would like to take in a little of the holiday...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Idnas71
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Hello Idnas,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, I always enjoy receiving guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you had a terrific stay at our hotel, and a fantastic trip to New York. You are absolutely right, our location can't be beat and makes for a perfect base in the city. I have shared your comments with the team, and they are also pleased to hear you had a great stay. I hope you had a safe trip back home, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New York City!

Warm regards,