“Reasonably good”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea
Ranked #206 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 18, 2012

There's an old saying that "you get what you pay for." Not sure that applies here. Often more expensive than neighboring Hampton Inns, the Fairfield Inn is not superior. In fact, while Hampton serves a freshly cooked hot and varying breakfast every morning, Fairfield Inn offers pre-wrapped Jimmy Dean sandwiches to heat by microwave oven. And, although the hotel is fairly new, the rooms are already starting to show wear and tear. So unless you're a Marriott loyalist, you may be paying a higher price here than at a similarly themed Hampton Inn and not getting anything in return. Of course if you're a Marriott Elite, upon check in you get two bottles of cheap water with a value of less than 50 cents. Enjoy!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Hello Nice Person,

Thank you for your review, I always appreciate receiving guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you found our hotel to be reasonably good, but disappointed to hear that you felt our hotel is overpriced compared to neighboring facilities. I can assure you that the rate you paid was the best available for your dates, and our hotel is always competitively priced in the marketplace. I would invite you to visit our webpage for Marriott's "Look No Further" best rate guarantee. I am also pleased to let you know that beginning in the spring, all Fairfield Inns will begin offering a hot breakfast, which will enhance our breakfast offerings. I hope that you will give us another try, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New York City.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

It is overwhelming to try and pick a hotel to stay at in Manhattan but our driving force was to pick one in close proximity to Eataly where we had a cooking class to attend. The rooms are small but omfortable. The people who worked the front desk and the breakfast area were really helpful and nice to us. The hotel is clean and for the most part price matches what you get for a NYC hotel. It also was nice and quiet for NYC.
The morning breakfast which is included in your hotel rate was very more than adequate to start your day off. Coffee is on 24/7 which is nice when you are there in the winter.. It is still close to places like Chelsea market, Macy's, and Times square.
When we go back to NYC next winter we would stay there again. Jonathan Gersh, Assistant General Manager was very helpful. say hello to him from us.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Hello Tomaro,

Thank you for such a great review! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel, and had a great time in New York. You are absolutely right, our location is fantastic and Eataly is a wonderful place! I hope you enjoyed it. I am also pleased to hear that the staff gave you first class service. I have shared your comments with them and thank you for recognizing Jonathan, he is the best! I hope you had a safe trip back home and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to New York City!

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Nice Hotel. Interesting area walking around New York surrounded by vendors selling trees/flowers on the street. Added a unique twist to the experience. About 3 blocks from Madison Square Garden. Great location. I am Platinum at Marriott and wasn't even offered an upgrade of any kind. Breakfast was great and delicious. Nice indoor courtyard to eat. Wireless was fast and convenient. Fitness gym was nice, under ground and no windows but equipment was sufficient.

One recommendation for management - Provide ear plugs to guests. I was on the 7th floor and there were non-stop sirens at all times of the day. Annoying but understandable being in NYC.

Overall a nice stay.

Room Tip: I would try to get on as high of a floor as possible to try to muffle out sound of sirens.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ThatBGuye
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Hello Thatbguye,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I always enjoy reading guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and had a nice time in New York City. You are absolutely right, our location can't be beat and the flower district is a lovely place to walk around. I'm sorry to hear that there was not an upgrade available, please reach out to me the next time you will be in the city and I will see to it that you are blocked into a quiet room. I hope you had a safe trip back home, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon!

Reviewed December 3, 2012

First of all, the location is excellent. Two different subway lines within a half-block. In the middle of the flower district, very pleasant walking through the fragrant and beautiful greenery and flowers that the shops put out on the sidewalks to sell. The hotel staff were top-notch. Always pleasant, eager to assist, knowledgeable about the area. The complimentary breakfast was much more than your standard fare. Many hot and cold options in a self-serve area that was kept well stocked, as well as neat and clean. Proteins, fruits, cereals, and multiple beverage choices. Lots of seating, too. It was also a very nice surprise to find complimentary hot coffee/hot tea/hot chocolate available to guests 24/7. The room was excellent as well. Comfortable and clean. Not too cramped, unless you are trying to cram a family of 3 or 4 into one room. In that case, it might be a little tight. I did not have a single complaint during my four-night stay. There was not anything that I wished were different. Thank you, Staff of the Fairfield Inn in Chelsea. Well done!

Room Tip: If you are visiting NYC during the holiday season, and would like to take in a little of the holiday...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Idnas71
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Hello Idnas,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, I always enjoy receiving guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you had a terrific stay at our hotel, and a fantastic trip to New York. You are absolutely right, our location can't be beat and makes for a perfect base in the city. I have shared your comments with the team, and they are also pleased to hear you had a great stay. I hope you had a safe trip back home, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New York City!

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We just got back from a trip to New York and stayed at the Fairfield Inn Chelsea. It was a great hotel and the staff was amazing! Friendly, always upbeat and genuinely helped us with all of our needs. The location can't be beat, only a few blocks from Macy's, the Empire State Building, and Times Square. The rooms are very clean and each morning there was a complimentary breakfast which was a perfect start to our day. I would not hesitate to book this hotel again for our next trip to New York.

Room Tip: Our room was on the rear of the building, and did not have a great view--but hey, it's New York...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rick J
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Hello PhillyPete,

Thank you for such a great review! I am pleased to hear that you had a nice stay at our hotel, and were able to enjoy your trip to New York City. I have shared your comments with the staff, it is feedback like this which keeps them energized and motivated. I hope you had a safe trip back home, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again on your next visit to New York!

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We had a pleasant stay in the flower district in Chelsea. You arrive on a street, on which the sidewalks overflow with plants, orchids, flowers, and decoratives. Rooms facing the street have a great view of the Empire State Bldg. The rooms are clean, beds very comfortable, bathrooms well appointed. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. We liked the location, easy access to subways to Brooklyn where our kids live, and good walking area. Excellent complimentary continental breakfast with glass enclosed eating area. Great value!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Hello Rfw,

Thank you for such a great review! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. You are absolutely right, our location is fantastic and I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the subways at the corner. I have shared your comments with the staff, who also enjoy receiving guest feedback. I hope you had a safe trip home, and hope that you will come stay with us again on your next trip to New York!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Hotel room was extremely small for 3 people at a cost of $400 plus a night. The hotel was on a very noisy street and you could hear everything from the garbage collection, to the wholesale florist receiving their deliveries and neighboring construction. Do not expect for the high price tag a restaraunt, bar lounge, pool on premise etc.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Lilly E
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Hello Lilly,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you felt our hotel was overpriced. Hotel rooms in New York City are typically in the $300-$400 at this time of year, and the rate you paid was the best available rate for the dates of your stay. I would invite you visit our website for Marriott's "look no further" best rate guarantee. I also understand that you were looking for a hotel with a restaurant and room service. Fairfield Inns are not a full service Marriott brand, and as such do not offer food & beverage other than breakfast. I do hope that you will consider one of our other hotels in the Marriott family for your next visit.