“Weekend Getaway”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea
Ranked #206 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Took a weekend trip to the city to see a show. This place came in with the right price, but being a bit farther south than I usually stay, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. The good: it's an easily walkable 3 blocks from Penn Station; there's a subway stop at the end of the block and another a block and a half away the other direction making it very easy to get around; the rooms were clean; the location was quiet. The bad: in room lighting (we turned all the lamps on in the room and it's still too dark, adaquate,but not bright); rooms are a little on the small size even for NYC (functional 15x15 room but no extra space - basically a bed, desk, and TV with a bathroom down the entranceway); TV service is terrible (OK, who has cable service which doesn't receive any of the major networks including all of those in the city? Let's ditch the oddball channel selections and get normal service - not sure what was going on here as the services book in the room showed a good channel selection, but none of them mapped to what was actually on the TV). The hotel staff was friendly and they were more than willing to hold our luggage while we went out and about to see our show prior to being able to check in. Breakfast is included, but we did not take advantage of it as we headed uptown early in the morning and just grabbed something on the go (there's a 24-hour McDonalds right down at the corner).

We'd stay here again as the price is right and there's nothing "wrong" with the place (other than maybe the TV), it's just not as high on our list as some of the other Marriott properties in midtown/midtown east.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Hello Lasagna,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel, I always enjoy reading guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that your stay was pleasant overall, and that the staff was friendly and accommodating. I am sorry to hear about the difficulty you had with the television, and I have shared your comments with our Engineering staff so that they may rectify the problem. I hope that you will come back and visit us again, and we will be sure to get you a room with all the TV channels in order. I hope you had a safe trip back home, and a fabulous time in New York City!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I actually considered not writing a review on this hotel since it may make it harder to book a room next time, but honestly, they deserve all the excellent reviews that they receive. First of all, it's an incredible location, the Flower District, which is between Greenwich Village and Time Square. You are surrounded by florists, but plenty of places near by to eat and explore. We really appreciated being in a quiet setting and away from the touristy Time Square area. Secondly, the staff is so helpful and friendly. We checked in early, knowing that the room would not be ready. They stored our luggage and even invited us to grab breakfast. The rooms are small, which is often the case in NYC, but the space is used wisely. For example, the TV is wall mounted. Planning on staying here the next time we are visiting New York and booking early.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Hello RRB,

Thank you for such a great review! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and that we were able to help you have an enjoyable time in New York City. I am also pleased to hear your comments on the staff, they are truly the best in Manhattan. I have shared your comments with them, as we all enjoy receiving guest feedback. I hope you had a safe trip back home, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel upon your next trip to New York!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Every aspect of our stay here was more than adequate. Friendly, helpful staff, convenient location, pristine room, high quality breakfast and all-day drinks facilities. Cookies at reception and a flower market on the path outside every day.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vince M
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Hello Vince,

Thank you for your comments, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our hotel to be close to perfect. The entire team strives for perfection and I have shared your review with them. I hope you had a safe trip back home and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We booked a queen room with a pullout sofa online for our family consisting of mother, father and a tall teen son. When we checked in the pullout sofa ended up being a pullout chair. We called the front desk and they sent someone up immediately. She took one look at our son and said that the pullout chair was unacceptable for someone his size and she wanted him to be comfortable and walked us to a queen/queen room at no additional cost, We were so greatful and impressed with their promptness and accomodation to our needs. The hotel is compact, but clean, modern, well appointed and well staffed. It is conveniently located in the flower district and between two subway lines (7th Ave and Broadway) making it very easy to get to anywhere in the city. Walking down the street and seeing and smelling the flowers was amazing. The breakfast was pretty typical but the ambiance of being in an atrium type of atmosphere was nice and made you feel a little New Yorkish. And at the end of a long day of walking in the city who doesn't want to come back to their hotel to a batch of cookies waiting for them?

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TravelingHockeyMom

Hello Hockey Mom,

Thank you for sharing your review of our hotel, I always enjoy receiving guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you had a nice stay with us and that the staff was accommodating and responsive to your needs. You are absolutely right, the flower district is a lovely part of the city and we are very fortunate to have a veritable garden right outside our door! I hope you had a safe trip back home, and please come visit us again the next time you are in New York.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is a compact hotel wedged in among the rows of flower and plant stores in The Flower District. The rooms are well planned, and you get what you need. I had a king sized which didn't leave too much space, but in NYC you don't want to be hanging out in your room, right? The finish was excellent, and the bathroom had a large walk-in shower which was great.

The roof terrace is a great spot, but it has noisy aircon vents and only a few plastic chairs for furniture. I bundled up my pillows and duvet and made the plastic chairs cosy for looking at the nightime skyline, the aircon noise soon becomes background.

Breakfast is basic but good and included in the rate for all guests. You eat in a spacious conservatory.

Ideally located to get to all parts of Manhattan. Right between 6th and 7th with only a short walk to the subway. And about a 10-15 min walk to Times square.

The staff were all great [housekeeping were told politely to come back later, and they did]. came at I paid $317 inc taxes per night, which is the most I have ever paid for a hotel room! Hey, its New York City, Baby!

Room Tip: Go high! The view out the back is poor, front rooms have bigger windows which look over the street.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank nujjer

Hello Nujjer,

Thank you for such a great review! I am pleased to hear that you had a nice stay with us, and have shared your comments with the team. It is reviews like this that keep them energized and encouraged. I hope you had a safe trip back home, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again on your next visit to New York!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Was great from the arrival. Not expensive for Manhattan, very well located (flower district, close to lots of subway lines and a short walk from SoHo, Times square, High Line Park etc). We felt safe even at 4am!

Front of house was amazing! The ladies at reception were so friendly AND helpful. Special mention to Mia (?) who was all smiles, we absolutely loved her. We had a king size room and I can´t understand the complaints on the size. It´s a budget hotel and the room size is great, bed is comfy and we didn´t experience any noise.

We pretty much left early in the morning and went back late in the afternoon for a shower and out again and the hotel was perfect for our 6 night stay. We mentioned that it was our anniversary and they left a little bag with some water, chocolates, very considerate.

Breakfast wasn´t amazing but one could go and get some fruit, cereal, muffins, yoghurt, boiled eggs and have a quick bite before going out.

I will definitely go back if in New York again, 100% recommended. Best budget hotel I´ve ever stayed in.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 16th floor (1603) and it was great.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BRA_BNE
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Hello Bra Bne,

Thank you for such a great review! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our hotel, and had a great time in New York. I am also pleased to hear that the staff took excellent care of you, and appreciate that you recognized Mia. She is definitely one of the best in Manhattan, and I have shared your comments with her and the rest of the team. I hope you had a safe trip back home, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to New York.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed here at the start of September 2012 and was very impressed. The rooms are quite spacious for Manhattan (king bed with plenty of floor space left over) and very clean. The bathroom is also nicely finished with a large shower, even if it's all a little squashed in.

The included breakfast is a continental breakfast which is enough, but don't expect too much from it, and if you arrive late on there isn't a huge ammount of seating.

The staff are very helpful and polite, and let me check in almost 2 hours early to make my statue tour ferry, and stored my bags for almost 5 hours after check out until my flight.

The location isn't the best for viewing the city sights on foot, but there is a subway station at the end of the street which if you take the number 1 train (every 10 minutes or so), it takes you straight to times square and central park uptown in about 5/10 minutes, or to battery park and the island ferries downtown in about 15/20. If you like shopping the best thing to do is get the subway to times square then walk 2 blocks over to 5th avenue for the major shops.

I was really happy with my stay as the rooms were nice and the subway connection was very useful. At $150 inc. tax and charges, for the middle of Manhattan it's great value for money. I would definately stay there again and reccomend it to anyone going to visit NYC.

• Stayed: September 2012
Robert B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Hello Adam,

Thank you for your review! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our property which made for a great trip to New York City. I am also pleased to hear that the staff was helpful and polite, and able to accommodate your early arrival request. I have shared your review with them, and it is feedback like yours which keeps them energized. I hope you had a safe trip back home, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the future!