“Couldn't be happier with this hotel & can't wait to go back!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea
Ranked #203 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Memphis, Tennessee
“Couldn't be happier with this hotel & can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

First, I'd like to start by saying this hotel did more than just meet my expectations, it actually exceeded them. I stay at Marriott brand hotels many times a year but rarely have had opportunities to stay at a Fairfield. This one, in my opinion, was very impressive for such an affordable hotel. It is located on 28th, between 6th & 7th, in the Flower District (NOT in Chelsea but it is a quick train ride!). I arrived hours before check in and they already had a room ready which was unexpected so I was immediately pleased. The room was very clean and comfortable. I have been going to NYC a couple of times a year for many years so I have stayed in several other hotels in town. In my opinion, this room is a pretty decent size for rooms in this city. This area is very quiet at night so I had no problems with a lot of noise when I was trying to sleep. The bed is one of the most comfortable I've slept in. The bathroom is very nice and has a huge, walk-in shower, with great water pressure. The AC works GREAT. There is no fridge in the room and no safe. The lack of safe is actually a bit disappointing. I've become accustomed to having a safe in all NYC hotel rooms that I've stayed in. Also, there is only one ice-maker in the building and it's located on the lower level which is a bit of an inconvenience but luckily the elevators are quick so you don't have to wait too long to get down there and back.

I loved the location. It's really convenient to so many of the city's attractions. It's just blocks from the Empire State Building/Harold Square, which is probably the best shopping located in this area. It's equally close to the Flatiron District, Madison Square Park, Madison Square Gardens, Penn Station, etc. If you make it to the Flatiron District, be sure to check out Eataly, Mario Batali's Italian mega-store. It's amazing. There is also a Whole Foods a few blocks away along with several other little markets if you're looking for the basics. There is a Starbucks and Bank of America, both located at the corner of 28th & 6th. This hotel is located a block from the red line (i.e 1-2-3 train) subway. This train will take you to or close to, just about anywhere in the city you'd like to go.

By far, the best kept secret of this hotel is the roof deck. It has an amazing view of the Empire State Building. Be sure to check it out at night. It is open 24 hours a day and there was rarely anyone up there so I usually had it to myself. It's nothing fancy but definitely a nice spot to chill out and enjoy a great view of the city.

They also provide a complimentary breakfast, every morning, and it has pretty good offerings. Muffins, bagels, cereals, breakfast sandwiches, yogurt, etc. They also serve Starbucks brand coffee.

I would also like to mention that the customer service was outstanding. One night, I needed three things; scissors, super glue and a map. I went to the front desk and asked Andrew if he had these items and within seconds, he provided all three. I thought for sure super glue wouldn't be something on hand but turns out, it was. On my last day, Mika arranged my transportation to the airport and also had my luggage held between check out time and the time I actually left. Not to mention the countless others who were very accommodating, as well. Everyone was just very friendly and it was very much appreciated. I look forward to staying at this hotel again in the future and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet, clean, comfortable and affordable place to stay in the city.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank MBCMemphis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

I chose this hotel due to price & location. Hotel rates were high during the U.S. Open, and I wanted to be away from the crowds at Times Square. Room was tiny but comfortable. Good shower. The standout was the service by Andrew, Erika, the lady who manned breakfast, and the security men. Very friendly, helpful, and polite. I travel a lot and was very impressed. Also nice was an enormous orange cat who greeted everyone at the entrance. Apparently, he lives next door. Had a nice lunch at Uncle Nick's Greek Diner at the hotel desk's suggestion. Wish there was a safe in the room. I walked to Central Park in the am vs. using the workout room, so I can't comment on it.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have a big window/Jeffersonian balcony. Mine didn't.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gatraveler-7
fairgm, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Dear Gatraveler-7,

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Chelsea. It was nice to hear the hotel associates provided service that impressed you during your stay. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special. Thank you so much for letting us be your host while in New York City, and we hope to see you in the near future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

The hotel is located on 28th Street, 7th Avenue and we found that it was a fantastic location. We were walking distance from the Empire State Building and in the night, we got some fantastic pictures of the building when we were walking back from dinner. The area is the flower district and though it was quite deserted when we returned at night, it was very safe and we had no problems at all. It is very close to Penn Station and found it convenient when we arrived by train from Washington DC. We sometimes walked to Times Square and found it quite close to Macy's too (when we did most of our shopping).

There was free internet (always great) and free breakfast. The breakfast was ok but since it was complimentary, I would recommend it. On two mornings, we did not really make an attempt to get up in time for breakfast as we wanted some variety. The room was very nice and comfortable (huge shower). I must comment about one of the front desk staff, Andrew Alvarez, he was extremely polite and friendly and he welcomed us to the hotel. He was very cheerful and ever ready to help. He definitely deserves praise for his always bright and great attitude.

On the whole, if the price was right, I would definitely consider returning.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
fairgm, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Dear Eletnahc,

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Chelsea. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

I live in Manhattan. This stay was a "business retreat" for me to get out of my home office. The place is cozy, just like a small studio in Chelsea. The staff is extremely friendly. Make you feel like your in your own apartment building. Breakfast sun deck is amazing!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank HiDefLowCost
Dear HiDefLowCost,

We read your review and are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Chelsea, and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay. I agree with you about sun room it is my choice as well.

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

We recently returned from NYC and had the pleasure of staying at this hotel. We arrived early on our first day (9 am) and although the room was not ready we were welcomed to enjoy their breakfast buffet. We later returned in the afternoon and we were very happy with the hotel room. It was bright, had a very nice NYC view and was very clean. We would have liked a fridge in our room but there were not enough for all the patrons of the hotel. We found the hotel very quiet but there was some street noise early the next morning. The complimentary breakfast is great. There was an assortment of cereals, bagels, fruit, English muffins, eggs, etc. and Starbucks coffees and tea. The woman who worked in that area was very pleasant and always welcomed us with a nice "Good Morning". Fresh coffee and tea as well as freshly baked cookies were available throughout the day. Heading out of the hotel you were surrounded by flowers and plants as this hotel is located in the flower wholesale district. Overall, I found the stay very pleasant and the hotel staff were always welcoming and polite. I would not hesitate to stay here again...I loved it!!

Dear TorontoMusicman,

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Chelsea. It was nice to hear about the associates you encountered. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special. Thank you for letting us be your host hotel while visiting New York City,and we hope to see you in the near future.

chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

This hotel is located in the flower district which is actually kind of fun- in a New York way. the rooms are bigger than many, AC works well. Clean and comfortable. Breakfast up to par for a "free: breakfast . I do not hesitate to recommend it.

1 Thank bowwowwow
fairgm, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Dear Bowwowwow,

We read your review and are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Chelsea, and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in New York City!

Pottstown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

This hotel is in the Chelsea section of New York, and we were able to walk here from Penn Station. The street was less busy than the rest of New York, more like being in Brooklyn or Hoboken. There are several smaller hotels like this one on that same block, and even a florist down the street. Inside, the lobby was nice but small, the elevators in the center of the building, and in the back, a cafe where they served a pretty good breakfast and sometimes snacks. We checked into our room, and headed for the elevator. Rooms in New York are small, but this one didn't seem too bad. There was just enough room around the king size bed to walk, there was a small desk, a bureau, flat screen TV (lots of channels) and a fairly large bathroom. The best features of this hotel, it's new, inexpensive, and it's away from all of the craziness of New York -- but walking distance to just about everything. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank gdam99
Dear gdambra,

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Chelsea. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you on your next visit to New York City.