“hardly a 4 star”

Ranked #305 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Vancouver, Canada
“hardly a 4 star”
Reviewed September 25, 2010

My husband and I were in NYC for leisure and business. We decided to stay at St. Giles because of location and price. The rooms were a decent size, especially for NYC, with some nice modern conveniences.

The problems:
1) no heat! I could not believe that at the end of Sep the heat was not on - I feel this should be my choice and I was cold so I had to request a heater
2 no bathrobe in the room for my husband and our deck had not been cleaned because there were tonnes of bottles outside.
3) very loud entrance with reception staff not knowing basic info about things such as how much phone calls cost

I did like the service staff and the door staff/concierge who knew a lot about the city.

I would not stay here again unless paying $130 or less a night. This is not a 4 star.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
StGilesNewYork, Manager at The Court – A St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2010
We are so sorry for your poor experiance at our hotel. It is obvious that we did not come close to meeting your expectations and would love an opportunity to make it up to you. Please give us a call so we can make this up to you. Our deepest apologies.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff
Reviewed September 23, 2010

We arrived early at the hotel which was not a problem at all, they booked us into a very good room straight away. It was light and spacious. The bed was confortable and the bedding was lovely, it was changed every day as were the towels. Air conditioning was a bit noisy when we arrived and wouldn't shut off, and we couldn't work out how to open the safe, we phoned down and someone came and looked at both within 15 minutes. Staff were friendly and helpful, it was our first trip to New York and would certainly stay at this hotel again, it was so convenient, we were able to walk to most places within 15 minutes, Grand Central was just around the corner. There were lots of restaurants and bars on the next block!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 15, 2010

This was my first time at the St. Giles, which I had not heard of before, but I was very pleased with the hotel, my room and the service. Everyone was extremely helpful from check-in to directions to getting me a ticket to a NY fashion show! The rates were excellent and the location was just off the beaten track but still easily accessible to everything. I can't wait until my next visit!

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed September 5, 2010

The hotel hasnt changed since St Giles taken over from The W.

Main difference is really the lack of bliss products and no hot food lunch/evenings, and the bar isnt as crowded!

However rooms are still very comfortable with contemporary designs, comfortable beds, and service is very good, views are amazing.

i would say $16+ per day for wifi is very high, when you can go down the block to Starbucks and use theirs for free.

Good stay, and would return.

Philadlephia
Reviewed September 5, 2010

As a native New Yorker, I look forward to my occasional trips back and always looking for the near perfect hotel in each part of Manhattan. I may have found it for mid-town. I recently stayed at The Court with my two sons for one night while we were in town for the US Open. I found it after reading reviews on Trip Advisor - the location and value seemed hard to beat, and this is certainly true. The hotel is not too big, the staff are extremely friendly and helpful, and the rooms were great. Fresh cookies, cold punch and apples and the NY Times and WSJ are at the desk in the lobby. Even the shower had good pressure - a rarity for hotels these days. I requested a room with a king bed and a cot, to fit the three of us, and were told on arrival that a cot would be forthcoming, but never did. The desk staff explained that the room was too small for a cot, and before I could get out any argument, they immediately upgraded us to a suite. One of the hotel staff (I think he was the security and doorman all in one) plus a housekeeper accompanied us to the room and helped transfer all our belongings while the housekeeper prepared the pull-out bed from the living room couch. The security dude even got us some fresh ice for our waters. The beds were great, and the next morning, after visiting the Starbucks a block away, which opens at 5:30, I enjoyed the morning newspaper in the very comfortable and quiet lounge. All in all this was a really great place and will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I enjoyed being in this part of the city taking walks to the East River and down to Curry Hill for some good Indian food about 10 blocks south. My favorite part though was the view from my room. The Chrysler Building is one of my favorite buildings and I had a perfect view of it from my room. Clean, attractive,comfortable room; quiet and cool despite heat wave outside.

Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
San Diego
Reviewed August 29, 2010

This hotel was worth visiting if just for the bed! In a word..."plush." Spacious, classy, colorful, eclectic, clean, centrally located, accommodating, welcoming....and excellent rates. Thank you St. Giles. I'm from San Diego and visit New York a few times a year...this will be my New York "coming home" hotel indefinitely. Wonderful, friendly staff, handsome doormen, walk-in closets, clean bathrooms with space for toiletries...and those pillows!....yum!

• Stayed August 2010