“Location, location, location.”

The Court – A St Giles Hotel
Ranked #325 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Overall, the hotel and experience was great. The rooms are really big for NYC. We had the junior suite which has around 650 square feet (I think). We actually had two of them as we were a travelling family of 5. I noticed on the last day that I actually preferred the layout of the other suite better. The bathroom was situated more between the bedroom and the living room (making it easier for the person sleeping on the sofa bed to use the bathroom during the night without waking up whoever is in the bedroom) and it had a dresser in the closet in the bedroom. One of my complaints is that there was no dresser in my bedroom. We did find one in the closet near the front door of the suite but that was inconvenient for use to store clothing in. So I had to keep my socks and so forth in my suitcase in the bedroom. Not ideal as I really wanted to unpack everything.

The shower was great but our tub was slow to drain. I never reported to the staff. We'd just get busy and forget about it. I don't think our other room had that problem.

The location truly was superb, especially if you don't want to stay in Times Square but still want to be close. We walked everywhere. Literally. We walked up to Central Park twice. We walked to Rockefeller and to Times Square numerous times. We walked down to Macy's. We walked to Gramercy Park area. In five days, we walked about 36 miles (according to my pedometer).

The bathroom had a nook of unused space. Because there wasn't much in the way of counter space, I moved a little seating ottoman from the bedroom into the bathroom to pick up an extra "counter". My suggestion to management would be to put a small table in there. I would also suggest a dresser of some sort in all bedrooms.

Room Tip: We were given a choice of a quieter room or a room on the street (not sure which street). We went wi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I didn't know much about the hotel or the area when I booked the hotel at a good price online, but I was positively surprised when we arrived. The hotel has service minded people at the reception, who helped with all of our questions. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a large suite, which was really nice. It was a bit dated and the air conditioner sounded like a train running through the room, but when asked about it at reception in the morning, it was fixed when we came back in the afternoon. We also had a lovely view of the Empire State Building.
Almost forgot. The beds were best beds ever in a hotel, many pillows to chose from and a soft mattress.

We had the breakfast at the hotel, which was not included and a bit pricey, but really good. We took the buffé alternative and were served coffee/tea at the table, there were fresh juices to chose from, bagels, fresh fruit, pastries, yogurts and assorted cereals. It kept us going until late afternoon.

I had packages sent to the hotel and they were all delivered to our room without ever having to ask for them. Really good service.

The location is very good as well, just a couple of minutes from Grand Central Station, with Subways to all locations. It will take about 15 - 20 minutes to walk to Times Square. There are several restaurants nearby. Don't miss Sam´s Place across the street, a great little Italian restaurant with only a few tables and personal service and great food. It's a quiet neighborhood but centrally located. If coming back with my children I would consider this a good option.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Its not a 4 star hotel, but given its location and price - its great.

A stone's throw away from the Empire State building, times square, fifth avenue, etc. The room i was assigned was huge. View wasn't much to speak of - though i could see the Empire State building.

The service was excellent - at the reception, the housekeeping and the doorman who was always around to help find a cab.

Would 100% stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 21, 2013

This hotel is in my opinion in a good location. Minutes from Grand Central Station and a short walk to The Empire State Building. Situated at the corner of Lexington Ave and within an easy walk to 5th Ave. The hotel is clean and comfortable. However not all bedrooms are the same size as rooms facing East Ave are considerably smaller than rooms facing Lexington Ave. Bathroom small and basic. Beds are extremely comfortable and the room had a flat screen television. Wifi is available free of charge.

Room Tip: Scotties Diner at the corner of Lexington Ave can't be beaten for breakfast.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlexJoan
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I've now stayed at this hotel the last two times I've visited NYC for work. The rooms are good size for New York, the rooms are clean and the staff has always been very friendly. The bed sheets are soft and the beds are pretty comfortable... a little softer than I prefer, but still comfortable. My one negative would be that the shower's water pressure is only fair.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 20, 2013

When I visit a city often I like to have a go-to hotel that I am familiar with. My favorite hotel in Mid-town sold out earlier this year and I had been at a loss where to stay that had good transportation options, and food options around mid-town. I found the St Giles on hotels.com and didn't know just how good it was until I checked in. To start with my room was ready early, and they upgraded me to a huge room. My room fronted Lexington avenue so it was not super quiet but hey, this is New York City! The front desk and concierge were both friendly and helpful. I got my bearings quickly and with Grand Central Terminal three blocks away it was easy to get to just about anywhere in the city.
At checkout time the bell desk took care of our luggage while we spent the rest of the day shopping. When we came back they found our luggage quickly and called a cab for our departure to the train station.
with Grand Central close by and several good restaurants this will be where I want to stay on future visits.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed at the hotel from 12/14-18/13.

First Impression: I walk up to the counter to check in and the guy behind the desk is hollering at someone behind the checkin area about something. I asked for a room with a view and I was told that my booking rate wouldnt allow anything other than what I had. Strange and unprofessional is how I would describe the first minute in the hotel.

My Room Pro's: Large room for a NYC hotel. Comfortable bed. Overall nice room.

My Room Con's: Even on the 13th floor the noise from Lexington Ave was very loud. I turned the AC fan to "on" to help with the street noise. Sink handles were broken.

Hotel Pro's: Convenient to Grand Central Terminal and Bryant Park. Big rooms.

Hotel Cons: Front desk workers were too preoccupied with each other to help the customers. The female concierge woman looked alseep everytime I walked up for the cider (a little acknowledgement would have been nice). It took about 15 minutes for me to get my luggage out of the holding room (even though there were two people working the front desk). The service was sketchy at best so stay at the Court expecting that.

I dont think too many 4 star hotels have ripped carpet up and down the halls, etc.

Would I go back? Maybe.

Should you stay there? if the rate is comparable to other 3 star hotels in the area.

Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Dont stay on the Lexington side unless you have ear plugs/sound machine.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple