“Good Spot; Well Located”

The Court – A St Giles Hotel
Ranked #310 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“Good Spot; Well Located”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We (myself, wife and 13 year-old grand-daughter) found the location, right near Grand Central Station, very convenient. Our room suited us well, except that the carpet was dirty. The bathroom was clean. The front desk staff were very helpful.
I had an unsatisfactory experience at the restaurant. The waitress placed a chit for about $60 on the table and without thinking too much I got out a $10 tip. Before I rose, however, I reflected that $60 was a bit steep for the modest amount consumed. So I looked at the bill in detail and saw the line, "18% gratuity included." So I repocketed my $10 bill and said to the hovering waitress, "I see that the tip is already included." "If you insist," she snarled in bad temper. It was clear that she had every intention of double dipping, and I wondered if the hotel was not complicit in this practice. Gee, I hate the American tipping practice - why can't they pay decent wages and have the prices all-inclusive? In any case, we made no further use of the hotel restaurant during our stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chris S, Guest Relations Manager at The Court – A St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear RichardO11,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at The Court! We are so glad to hear that the room suited you well and that our front office staff provided you with such helpful service—I will be sure to share you kind words with them. We regret that your experience at Icon Restaurant was less than wonderful, and we certainly apologize that there was any confusion regarding the tip. It is our practice here at the hotel to include gratuity, as much of the time guests decide to add breakfast charges to their room bill, and it is convenient for those who do not carry cash with them. Should you wish to discuss your experience further, I would love to hear more about it, as we certainly take seriously any opportunity to improve the guest experience. Please feel free to reach out to me personally at chriss@stgilesnewyork.com or by calling 212.592.8877.

Should you, your friends, or family have the opportunity to visit NYC again, it would be our pleasure to arrange your stay personally. Simply email our Director of Reservations at christopherj@stgilesnewyork.com or call an accommodations specialist at 888.406.8588 and we will be delighted to offer favorable rates for a return visit.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you to The Court in the near future!

Director of Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My first time in this hotel. Picked it for proximity to a work meeting. Overall a good experience. The room was fairly large for New York, with a fridge and snacks. Bathroom is small but workable with a small shelf and window sill for putting your stuff. There was a slight small of mildew when I walked into the room. There is a window air conditioner, which would normally be a big turnoff, but in this case it provided a nice background noise to drown out the city noise. There is a construction project across Lexington to be aware of. It didn't bother me during my stay but it could be a problem if you want to sleep late or during the day or if it's not hot enough to run the a/c.

The restaurant is fine. The buffet is nothing special but fine. They did make a good latte.

I would stay here again for business in this area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear JC2,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at The Court! We are delighted to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thankfully, the construction across the street is in its final stages, and any disruptions to our guests are now severely limited. We would love to hear more about the smell upon entering your room and your experience at Icon Restaurant—we are always looking for ways to improve, and the best way to identify those is by speaking to our guests. Should you be so inclined, please feel free to reach out to me directly at chriss@stgilesnewyork.com or by calling 212.592.8877.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Court very soon!

Columbia
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I took my adult children and grandchild with me to visit New York. I booked through one of the special travel sites and was in hopes that the description was a reality. When we finally arrived, after missing our flight and being delayed in the airport all day, it was even better than I had imagined. We were greeted by the front desk with wonderful news! We had been upgraded to the penthouse. This was July and I was shocked to say the least. The room was clean and HUGE. The ammenities were excellent and the staff was more than accomodating. The decor inside and the view outside made the night relaxing. Now I can't speak for the regular room but this one was fantastic. I would recommend it and will return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gigigwilli19
Dear gigiwilli19,

What a pleasure it was to read about your recent experience of The Court! It was an honor to host you and your grandchild during your recent visit to New York City. We are so delighted that you enjoyed the upgrade, especially after a long day of travel—we are always happy to be able to provide an upgrade when available. We love it when our associates leave such a great impression, and I will be sure to share your kind words with them. Please do come back and visit us again soon!

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Court very soon!

Marlton, New Jersey
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had Theatre tickets and visits to Murray Hill. It was a perfect central location. Walked everywhere. Staff couldn't have been nicer. Room was soo cute and very large for NY. We had been upgraded to a suite just because. How nice was that! The room was modern, with a little fridge/bar area. The sister hotel Tuscany was just being completed and accessible for the gym. Whoops never made it. Valet for car and left our luggage checked for the next day, while we traveled about, w/o any problem. Had a great cocktail at the bar, but the bar was wayyyy too cold. We will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chris S, Guest Relations Manager at The Court – A St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Penny J,

Thank you so much for sharing you recent experience at The Court! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our Murray Hill neighborhood along with our clean, spacious rooms. It is our pleasure to provide an upgrade when available, and how wonderful to hear that you enjoyed one of our awesome suites. We will be sure to share your kinds words with our great staff—they are our best asset! And please do not hesitate to contact us if you are returning to NYC – we will be glad to offer favorable rates and great savings. Simply email our Director of Reservations at christopherj@stgilesnewyork.com or call an accommodations specialist at 888.406.8588.

We hope to make your second visit to The Court even better than the first!

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 14, 2013

There are pros and cons for this boutique hotel:

Pros:
1. Eddie Lopez @ the front desk. I dealt with an Indian lady and Asian girl at the front desk (they were not helpful) during different times of the day, but Eddie's friendliness and service was hands down the best, and the reason why I decided to stay an extra few days. Given the street and elevator noise close to my room, he was so kind enough to go out of his way to upgrade me. For the location and room sizes, he also helped to provide great rates. Frankly, I planned to stay only one night but the ease in dealing with him and his attentiveness to guests' needs was enough for me to decide I would stay a few more nights and write him a solid review (please note, this is my first time writing a review, but just like Eddie went out of his way to help make my stay as great as possible, I wanted to return the gesture). I thought this hotel was Average, but the spacious rooms and Eddie's service helped tip the rating to Very Good.
2. Spacious rooms. But note, some of the rooms are small as well. I was fortunate to have been assigned larger rooms.
3. Location - few blocks away from Grand Central, NYSC, restaurants, fruit stands, etc.

Cons:
1. Too much dust - the hallways, room furniture (sofas, carpeting). I sat down on a sofa and the first thing I noticed was all the dust. The first day you walk into the room, the febreeze housekeeping sprays makes the room smell good, but it wears off after a few hours. The next day, you start to realize what the room really smells like.
2. Front desk - there was usually only one person stationed there. Eddie was the most efficient in my opinion.

Goal was to provide a fair assessment of the hotel. Any boutique will have cons, but during my stay, the pros (listed above) outweighed the cons. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are quieter but a lot smaller. Suites are large but you can't escape the street...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Andrew L
Dear Andrew L,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at The Court! Associates such as Eddie are our best assets, and it is truly a pleasure to hear that he provided you with warm, personal service. We strive to provide that level of service to each and every guest, and I will be sure to share you kind words with Eddie, who is a great exemplar of our standards We do regret to hear that you found your room and some of our common areas to be dusty. We pride ourselves on providing clean, comfortable spaces for our guests—I would like to speak with you further about your visit so that we can identify specific issues and make the necessary improvements. If you are so inclined, please feel free to reach out to me at chriss@stgilesnewyork.com or by calling 212.592.8877. And please do not hesitate to contact us if you are returning to NYC – we will be glad to offer favorable rates and great savings. Simply email our Director of Reservations at christopherj@stgilesnewyork.com or call an accommodations specialist at 888.406.8588.

We hope to make your second visit even better than the first!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 13, 2013

A group of us stay with this hotel. We were placed in rooms that were dated, disgusting, falling apart, window air condition units and the water pressure was so hard some of us had to take showers with our backs to the shower because our faces could not take the pressure. One of the people in the party staying on the 10th floor and found bed bugs in their rooms which were found on the beds and carpet. The staff did not act very surprised or empathetic and accused her of bringing them in. There were so many there was no way that so many could have been brought in. They did allow her to change her room but would not even dry clean her items or refund or discount the room due to this horrific experience. I do not recommend this hotel at all.

They call themselves a four or premier hotel but they don't even provide room service, no full service restaurant and don't even have a bar. Service is subpar and I advise all guests visiting NYC to stay away from this hotel especially due to the cleanliness of the hotel rooms and bed bugs.

Room Tip: Do not stay in any rooms unless you want noisy window air conditioners or bed bugs and poor service
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Stacey L
Chris S, Guest Relations Manager at The Court – A St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Stacy L,

We sincerely regret that your recent experience at The Court did not live up to your expectations. The guest experience in our first priority, and it is disappointing to learn that we did not meet our standards in this instance. I would like to speak with you personally so that we can take the proper steps to improve. We certainly apologize if it seemed like the reaction of our staff to your report of pests in a guest room was anything but concerned and apologetic. I can assure you that we take such reports very seriously and we are keenly aware of the importance of this issue to our guests, especially when staying in New York City. In fact, we are proactive on this issue, and our rooms are regularly inspected by certified pest management professionals. We document all reports of pests, and careful and close inspections are carried out in due course. This does not excuse an unapologetic response, and I would like to speak with you further so that we can ensure that our responses are both sympathetic and proactive in rectifying any issues.

While some of our rooms do show their age, we pride ourselves on providing clean and comfortable accommodations to each and every one of our guests. We regret that you did not find your room and amenities to your liking. Though we do not currently provide room service, our front office staff is happy to provide recommendations for a wide variety of restaurants that will deliver to our guest rooms. It seems you were with us while Court Bar was temporarily closed. We apologize that this was the case, but we are happy to report that Court Bar is fully operational again, serving hand-crafted drinks and light bar snacks Monday through Saturday.

I would like to speak with you in detail about your experience. Should you be so inclined, please feel free to reach out to me directly at 212.592.8877 or chriss@stgilesnewyork.com. Your visit did not represent our best, and we would love another opportunity to show you a true St Giles experience.

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel has seen better days. The rooms are rundown and in desperate need of a full renovation. But they are big!
Check in was slow and there was only one girl who seem to be in training by herself. Very nice Asian girl but clearly shouldn't be left alone at a reception desk.
NO SERVICES whatsoever: no room service (good thing Scotty's Dinner, next to the hotel, is open 24/7), no coffee maker in room, had to come to reception for ice, no bar.
Staff pleasant but very distant, Concierge seemed not to know the area and appeared annoyed at my questions. Tony, the doorman, guided me and gave me great suggestions.
At check out while on line I overheard another person talk to a manager about a rash from some bite overnight. Disgusting!
Gave it 1 star because of location a view of the Chrysler building.
Good thing I got a really cheap rate through Expedia, but I guess sometimes you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the Chrysler building, which is beautiful at night
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank RoyalRosieScott
Chris S, Guest Relations Manager at The Court – A St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear RoyalRosieScott,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Court. We regret to hear that your visit did not live up to expectations, and we certainly apologize for the shortcomings you experienced. I would like to speak with you personally about your experience so that we can take the proper steps to improve. Though some of our rooms do show their age, we pride ourselves on providing clean and comfortable accommodations for our guests, and it is vitally important for us to know when we are not living up to those standards. The uneven service that you received from our associates does not represent our best, as our goal is to provide warm, personal service to each and every guest of the hotel (we are glad to hear that Tony provided great service for you, and we will certainly be sharing your kind words with him). We do not currently offer room service, but our associates should certainly have recommended alternatives, including the wide variety of restaurants in the neighborhood that provide delivery service to the hotel. Though Court Bar was closed temporarily during your visit, we are happy to report that Court Bar is fully operational again, serving drinks and bar snacks Monday through Saturday. The accessibility of ice can be very important in the heat of an NYC summer; however, we are very sensitive to the noise and appearance of ice machines, and thus elected not to place them on our guest floors. I can also assure you that we assiduously inspect all guest rooms on a regular basis, and we recognize the importance of maintaining a pest-free environment for guests. Our rooms are regularly subjected to inspection by certified pest-management professionals. We believe it is critical to be ahead of any pest problems, especially in New York City.

There is no excuse for a guest to leave us unhappy with their experience, and it is our responsibility to ensure that we understand what went wrong and take the proper steps to improve. I would like to speak with you in detail about your experience. If you feel so inclined, please feel free to reach out to me at 212.592.8877 or chriss@stgilesnewyork.com. We would love another opportunity to show you a true St Giles experience.

Director of Guest Serivces