“Holiday in NY”

The Court – A St Giles Hotel
Ranked #300 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Holiday in NY”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We spent 7 days in New York in this great hotel located in a strategic position in Manhattan, very close to the central station, the Empire State Building, the Rockefeller Center and the Chrysler Building.

We were at 6th floor in a wide room, with an amazing Chrysler Building view. The room and the bathroom were spacious and cleaned efficiently every day. The wireless connection is free and fast in each room.

Last but not least the concierge assistance (Juan and Barbara) and the staff were extremely efficient. Thank you very much for everything. Let's go Kniks!!!

Daniele, Mara & Cristiano from Italy.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Chris S, Guest Relations Manager at The Court – A St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Daniele_fromItaly,

It was a pleasure to host you and your family during your recent visit at The Court! We love it when our associates leave a great impression, and I will be sure to share your kind words with Barbara and Juan. It is delightful to hear that you enjoyed the view of the Chrysler Building, and that our clean, spacious rooms provided you with an excellent stay. Grazie mille!

It would be our pleasure to arrange a future stay for you at The Court. Simply email our Director of Reservations at christopherj@stgilesnewyork.com and we will offer you the best favorable rates for a return visit.

Director of Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Easton, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

We were given a large suite which was very kind of our booking service. Our room was ready early, again kind. When I mentioned that I was an active hotel reviewer, the desk clerk said, "Are you threatening me?" Taken aback, I said no. Our suite was large and sparsely furnished. Paint was chipped, the heating made loud noises, counters stained. There was an open heat register behind the bathroom door. The bed linens were slippery and there was a garish and tacky red velour stretchy cover on the chaises in both rooms. The rooms needed paint. The overall appearance was a bit sad. The bar was smokey and the barman absolutely refused to give us some ice. The hotel was full since wedding guests were staying at The Court and the lobby and cafe were busy and noisy. Overall, there was a sloppiness and lack of finesse at this hotel. Not even a 3 star property.

• Stayed April 2013
Chris S, Guest Relations Manager at The Court – A St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear jsl30,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Court. We regret to hear that your stay with us did not meet expectations, and we sincerely apologize for any shortcomings. We strive to provide a seamless experience to every one of our guests, and it is disappointing to hear that we did not live up to those standards in this instance. I would like to speak with you in detail about your stay. Please feel free to contact me at chriss@stgilesnewyork.com or by calling 212.592.8877. We would love another opportunity to show you a true St Giles experience.

new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night in April. First the pros: the hotel is quaint and hip and has an atmosphere that fits nicely with the vibe of being in the heart of Manhattan. The cons are that even having stayed in a room quite a number of floors up, the street noise at night is so that the windows do very little to prevent from hearing outside, making it disruptive

• Stayed April 2013
Dear glob1,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Court. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our Midtown Manhattan location and atmosphere. We regret to learn, however, that your stay was so disrupted by noise. While street noise is unavoidable in Manhattan, we do our very best to minimize the impact to our guests. I would like to speak with you in detail about your experience and what we might be able to do to ensure a peaceful stay with us. Please feel free to email me at chriss@stgilesnewyork.com or by calling 212.592.8877.

It would be our pleasure to arrange a future stay for you at The Court. Simply email our Director of Reservations at christopherj@stgilesnewyork.com and we will offer you the best favorable rates for a return visit (in our quietest room, of course!).

Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

We and friends stayed here on a recent week end visit to NYC. The location was perfect for them since they arrived from Grand Central, walking over in a few minutes. We came in on the other side of town, but it was an easy walk from 34th and 8th Avenue.
Daniel greeted us with an engaging smile and made us feel very welcome. Our room was available for early check in (10:30 a.m.!) although our friends' wasn't. No matter. One room was enough for leaving luggage as we set out.
For 4 people, a taxi is often as cheap or not much more money than 4 times the $2.50 subway fare. It was a quick ride and $10.50 plus tip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art from the hotel. Same to the start of the High Line.
Our room was big, and the bathroom was enormous for a hotel. There were lots of thick towels and complimentary toiletries. We noticed that there was no desk, which would have been a problem if we had been in our normal work mode, but for a week end of leisure, it was not a big deal. We did have to hold our lap top on our laps! Our friends' room had a table and two chairs, but ours had just one large upholstered chair and no table.
There was no coffee maker in the room. A hotel employee happened to come in just as we arrived since the mini bar stock had not been checked for the previous night's guest, and we wondered whether it was possible to get a coffee maker and supplies. It was there when we got back from sightseeing.
We thought the location was great. There are many breakfast options going down Lexington Avenue toward Grand Central, and I would imagine on other nearby streets. We walked to dinner on West 44th.
We'd have no hesitation recommending the hotel to friends in town for a week end of sightseeing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear redtwizzler1943,

It was a pleasure to host you and your friends during your recent visit at The Court! We love it when our associates leave a great impression, and I will be sure to share your kind words with Daniel. We are so glad to hear that our service, guest room and amenities added up to a lovely visit to New York City!

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed one night. The price was low ($110+tax via a popular travel site), although for a Sunday night in early December that's fair.
The room was about average size for NY and pleasantly furnished, with a nice view of the Chrysler building. Good bathroom and bed. Convenient location, with plenty of restaurants, corner shops, etc, nearby. Really the room and location were fine, but two service issues cause me to give only a 2* rating -
First, after checking in late-afternoon, I headed to the shower but was drawn back out by urgent knocking at the door from hotel security. A mutually confusing conversation followed; evidently the guest who had checked out of the room earlier that morning had reported a problem with the in-room safe. The security guy was polite & apologetic, but someone on the staff had sent him on a too-late goose-chase which was a letdown both to him and to me (and to the now-long-gone guest wiho had the safe problem.)
Second, several days after my stay, I noticed a charge for $5 on my credit card. I called to inquire and was told that it was for a candy bar from the mini-fridge. I protested that I hadn't taken a candy bar; indeed I hadn't opened or even approached the mini-fridge, having no interest in its contents and knowing that they sometimes have motion detectors, etc. which can trigger a charge.
The operator said that I should call back on Monday between 9 and 5 (it was a Saturday) to give the accounting department my information & request a refund. I replied that I work between 9 and 5 on weekdays, and anyway the hotel has "my information" already, so can't they simply resolve this internally? In reply, she simply repeated the same advice to me.
So at that point, I wrote off my $5 and I wrote off the Court Hotel. There are many hotels in New York; no sense devoting any further time to a place that addressed the previous guest's problem, but not mine. (I wonder if whoever stayed in that room after me got a knock on the door from someone ready to solve the minibar issue?)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear GJM3,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Court. We regret to hear that your stay with us was disrupted—both while you were in house, and in your post-stay communication with us. We strive to provide seamless and unobtrusive service to all of our guests, and it is disappointing to learn that we did not live up to those standards in this instance. We sincerely thank you for your feedback, as it offers us an opportunity to improve. I would like to speak with you in detail about your stay, and help with the errant minibar charge. If you are so inclined, please contact me at chriss@stgilesnewyork.com or by calling 212.592.8877.

Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

The first hotel I stayed in on my first trip to New York City was The Court. Travelling directly from Australia after a 26 hour flight we were greeted at check in by Maria and her beautiful warm friendly smile. I instantly felt at home, the room was lovely and a very generous size especially for the city, the bar & staff down stairs were excellent. The bathroom, room and foyer were all exceptionally clean and the door staff were always ready to assist if you had any questions at all.
Barbara on Concierge desk was gorgeous she assisted in anyway she could and was so kind in helping me out when I asked.
This hotel made my trip to New York so easy & I would love to be able to come back and stay on my next trip.
Special thanks to Maria for her above and beyond kindness.

Room Tip: On both stays at The Court I had fantastic rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rebecca P
Dear Rebecca P,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at The Court! We love it when our associates leave a great impression, and I will be sure to share your kind words with Maria, Barbara and our staff at The Court Bar. We are so glad to hear that our service, guest room and amenities added up to the “perfect stay” for you! We hope you come back to visit us again soon.

Billinghay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Room......We were very pleased to have a room overlooking the Chrysler building with a small balcony. Excellent value and good size for NYC. Easy access bath with shower over, toiletries for first day. Hair dryer, iron and board.
Location.....perfect base to see all the sights. We never used public transport and walked from top (above Central Park) to bottom (over Brooklyn bridge) during our week there. Need comfy shoes though, trainers perfect. Only minutes from Central station.
Facilities....only breakfast in hotel, cocktail bar but not really for every day. That is not a criticism as everything you need is only a minute away. Many varieties of eat in or take away restaurants in the area. Deli across the road with beer, wines, snacks, crisps etc to bring out for room. Dine at Oyster Bar at Central station or the saloon there if you get chance.
Staff......all extremely helpful. I 'liked' the hotel on FB before we went and was able to message and requests or questions. The concierge was lovely and helped with arranging dining bookings beforehand. The doorman arranged taxi back to JFK for us. Cleaners did a great job, always good to come back to lovely cleaned room every day.
Dining....would always recommend Tick Tock diner on W34th and 8 Ave at New Yorker hotel for a great value breakfast, fills you for the day ahead. Pancakes are amazing, many other healthier options too. (You can get to the Highline walkway to see the city from above if you continue down 34th, well worth it, you can walk down to World Trade Centre via river and its free)
All in all a great base for a budget hotel. We had a fabulous time there, could recommend for couples but not really for large groups purely due to the size .

Room Tip: Higher rooms quieter and best views. Ticked swimming pool by error. No room service but cleaners kee...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris S, Guest Relations Manager at The Court – A St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear Carol-and-Pete,

What a marvelous review of your recent experience at The Court! It was a pleasure to provide you with view of the Chrysler Building during your visit, and that you were able to take advantage of our prime location to explore Manhattan. From housekeeping to the concierge to our bellmen, we love it when our associates leave an impression—we strive for personal and seamless service for all our guests, and it is wonderful to know when we are living up to our standards.

It would be our pleasure to arrange a future stay for you at The Court, should you have the opportunity to visit us again. Simply email reservations@stgilesnewyork.com and we will offer you the best favorable rates for a return visit.