“Absolutely HARRASSED by housekeeping” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Court – A St Giles Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Court – A St Giles Hotel
Ranked #299 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Westland
“Absolutely HARRASSED by housekeeping”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

There is someting inherently wrong when housekeeping refuses to honor the DO NOT DISTURB sign every day it was on the door knob. When having late nights we enjoy sleeping in, just resting in the room or trying to take naps. This was impossible when the housekeeping manager called the room every day @ 12:30 asking to come in. The housekeepers working on the floor started knocking on doors at 8:45 am, they let doors slam and vacuumed in front of our room twice, the first time I refused to let them in the room {our room was the last one at the end of a hallway, minimal traffic} Even though she [HK manager] was informed twice, and complaints made to the hotel assistant manager twice as well, she still called the third time the sign was on the door. Talk about ruining the mood.
The room itself was plain. There were NO amenities, no icemaker, coffee maker etc.,the in room fridge was stocked with mini bar items.
There is a first floor bar.

Room Tip: Only plan on staying here if you are going to be out of the room all day or if you really do not wan...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chris S, Guest Relations Manager at The Court – A St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear whitea8,

We regret that your recent experience at The Court did not meet your expectations. Please know that by sharing your experience and providing feedback that you also provide an opportunity for us to improve. We strive to provide a seamless and unobtrusive experience for all guests, and we regret that we did not live up to that promise. While it is our policy to clean all guest rooms every day, your experience certainly does not meet our service standards.

I would like to speak with you directly about your experience with us in detail. Please feel free to contact me at chriss@stgilesnewyork.com or by calling 212.685.1100 ext. 1305. We would love the opportunity to show you a true St Giles Hotel experience.

Chris Swaim
Director of Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Fort Lauderdale
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I was here for a work trip, and company made the booking here due to corporate rate available. Check-in was quick and pleasant, and room was fine, but nothing exceptional. And for me, the lack of a desk was particularly bothersome as I had a lot of work to do and had to manage sitting on the bed. Heating vent was very noisy and the pedestal sink in the bathroom meant no space to put toiletries, which was annoying too. I used the gym one morning, which is actually at the sister hotel next door - that was great. Bed was very comfortable. And I appreciated the restaurant recommendation from the guy at the front desk - he directed me to a nearby Indian restaurant that was superb.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back versus the street - colleagues in other rooms complained of very loud str...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Chris S, Guest Relations Manager at The Court – A St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear aliwally,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Court. We are glad to hear that our staff and amenities made for a very pleasant stay. Some of our standard rooms do not offer executive writing desks—should you have the opportunity to stay with us again, please feel free to call or email us your special requests, as we always do our very best to honor the needs and desires of our guests. And should you have any questions, you can reach me anytime at chriss@stgilesnewyork.com

New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed here ofr 2 nights in February which is a great time for excellent hotel rates. Pleasant and professional service consistently during our entire stay from all of the staff. The lobby is small but adequate. They serve warm cider at the front desk. The room was a standard king on floor 10. I asked for the highest floor possible. Bed was super comfortable. The room wasn't huge but it wasn't tiny either. Great closet space. Nice big flatscreen tv. Fully stocked mini bar and wine glasses and wine cork opener. Bathroom adequate equipped with shampoo, conditioner, soaps, etc.. The Heating/Cooling was fine (a little clunky and slow to react to switching the temp) but we were comfy. Our room was on the street side and we had the great view of the Chrysler Building. The hotel is rated as a 4 star. While it's clean and adequate and I'd certainly stay here again I'm not certain that it should be rated as a 4 star. It is a boutique style hotel in an older building which may be difficult to fit into the standard hotel rating system. Nevertheless it's certainly no dump -- this is a very nice low key place in a nice quiet neighborhood.

*Grand Central Station is only a 3 minute walk up Lexington. MTA train right at GSC.
*Lucid Cafe coffee shop on Lex & 37th near corner. EXCELLENT Latte's etc.

(note) we travel with a little electric noise machine to eliminate street noise.
(note) at the time writing this there is a construction builing project going up across Lexington.
(Note) I've read earlier posts about wrongful billing of mini bar stuff. The same occurred with us. I learned about it by accident. The mini bar attendant brought it to our attention just before checkout. He was kind enough to call front desk to have charges reversed. Upon checkout the frontdesk confirmed the reversed charges and they did not appear on my final billing. Unfortunately 2 days later I noticed the extra charge ($100+) showing up on my Credit card. I called and they were helpful indicating that the reverse may take a few days to show on my statement. At anyrate, after thinking about it the billing system for the mini bar appears to be completely separate from their normal billing for the room (since it did not appear on my checkout statement). Plus, they appear to hit your card for incidentals before checkout? I'm not sure. It just seems wierd. My CC is not yet resolved as of wrting this but they've been helpful on the phone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear moviefox,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Court. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and especially that you found our service standards professional and consistent—we strive to provide that level of service to all of our guests. Should you have the opportunity to visit us again, please send me an email at chriss@stgilesnewyork.com and we will be sure to provide you with a warm welcome!

We are also happy to offer you favorable rates for a future stay. You can book directly through our website by using promo code THANKS, by contacting our Director of Revenue and Reservations at christopherj@stgilesnewyork.com, or by calling one of our Accommodations Specialists at 888.406.8588.

Bedford, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

The hotel has a great location, but our room faced Lexington Ave and the building immediately across the street was a construction site. From 6:40 am - 6 pm, the noise was awful. And the hotel does little to alleviate this situation. There are no curtains, only a shade on a single pane window. The bathroom is semi-clean, but kind of grungy and tired. The bed is very comfortable and the room itself is okay, but really dimly lit. The food at breakfast is pricey, but good.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. We were on the fifth floor and could hear the traffic quite clearly. Also...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kitkat_NY
Dear Kitkat_NY,

We regret to hear that your stay at The Court did not meet your expectations. I would love to speak with you directly about your experience in detail. Should you be so inclined, you may reach me at chriss@stgilesnewyork.com or by calling 212.685.1100, ext 1305. We want all of our guests to experience a signature St Giles visit, and we believe it is important to follow up when those standards are not met.

NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Had booked a standard room for one night for a very decent price directly through the St. Giles Voila site. Was in much hurry when I got there but the check in process took literary 5 minutes or less. What was my surprise when I opened the door of my room and found a humongous apartment!! Bigger apartment (an Executive Suite) than what most Manhattaners have for a living space: huge living room with a Bang & Olufsen system, even bigger bedroom (as if), the highest ceilings ever, walk in closet.... Please note that Aamira (the other receptionist Daniel told me later her name) had upgraded me to this elegant apartment (fifth floor, quiet, facing the back and not on the avenues) without me asking for anything whatsoever. Just to tell you what kind and welcoming cool people work in this place!
Overall, the place is very much like a luxury apartment building with courtly doormen and personnel. I appreciated their unobtrusive but efficient professional manners. Will absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Linanyc,

Thank you so much for posting your wonderful review of The Court! I will be sure to share you kind words with Aamira and Daniel—we are delighted when our associates leave an impression. And how wonderful that you enjoyed one of our Executive Suites; we agree, they are bigger and better than most NYC apartments. We hope you return to visit us again soon.

Should you have the opportunity or need to visit New York City again, we are happy to offer you favorable rates. You can book directly through our website by using promo code THANKS, by contacting our Director of Revenue and Reservations at christopherj@stgilesnewyork.com, or by calling one of our Accommodations Specialists at 888.406.8588.

Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I've stayed in The Court 4 or 5 times and once in The Tuscany (the sister hotel next door). I like the location; the rooms are very nice and (by Manhattan standards) relatively spacious, and the price is quite attractive.

One thing has come to bother me, though, and may affect whether I decide to stay there again. The rooms are dimly lit. All the bulbs in the lighting fixtures and lamps are low wattage, which may be very environment friendly but it makes the room seem dreary. On my last visit (February 2013) the lighting in the closet area was so dim that I couldn't tell the colors of my shirts that were hanging.

I've asked on two different stays to have the bulbs upgraded. The first time they told me that this can't be done, that they are using the maximum wattage. This past visit, I asked again and if they changed anything it wasn't apparent to me.

Too bad, it's otherwise a very nice find.

Room Tip: There is construction across Lexington Avenue from the hotel so it's best to request a room faci...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ekatzen
Dear ekatzen,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience of The Court and The Tuscany. Though we are certainly glad that your stays overall have been excellent, we regret to hear that your inquiries did not receive the follow up and responses they merited. I would be delighted to speak with you directly about your concerns. Please contact me at chriss@stgilesnewyork.com or by calling 212.685.1100, ext 1305.

Braintree, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Another great stay at The Court. This hotel has great benefit of being between the hustle of the main business / tourist centres and residential neighbourhoods. This makes it handy enough to for both business and pleasure and also has the advantage of having plenty of local places to eat and drink (before a final nightcap in The Lex!). Room was spacious and clean as always and the decor makes this a home from home for me. Staff always friendly!!!

Will be back soon!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear trumpetgb,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience of The Court! We love to hear that guests think of us as their NYC home. I will be sure to pass your kind words on to our marvelous staff.