“Excellent, friendly, helpful staff at a great priced hotel in the perfect location”

The Court – A St Giles Hotel
Ranked #300 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Peckville, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

When we arrived the hotel staff was the friendliest staff I have ever encountered. They upgraded us to a better room and the valet offered us to park on the street for free since we arrived on a Sunday. He even found us a spot while we checked in. We arrived 3 hours before check-in time and we were able to go right to our room. The price cannot be beat and the location is superb! We walked everywhere from this hotel and it was the middle of February! Will definitely stay here next time we visit the city!

• Stayed February 2013
Chris S, Front Office Manager at The Court – A St Giles Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear jenpal811,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Court. We are delighted to hear that our service was spot on, warm and friendly. I will be sure to share your comments with our front of house team!

Should you have the opportunity to visit New York City again this year, we are delighted to offer you favorable rates. When booking through our website, use the promo code THANKS. You may also reach out to our Reservations Director at christopherj@stgilesnewyork.com or speak directly with an Accommodations Specialist at 888.406.8588.

Thank you, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Court!

Chris Swaim
Director of Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Perth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

My mother always used to say, 'If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all.' That's the main reason this is going to be a very short review. Chaotic check-in, cramped lobby, quite nice rooms on the upper floors, surly and most objectionable member of staff at check out, poor restaurant. That's it I'm afraid. Sorry. Go somewhere else. They have little or no concept of customer service here.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel. Simple!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DCG
Dear DCG,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Court. Please accept our sincere apologies that your stay with us was unpleasant. We are alarmed that you were treated to a surly and objectionable departure experience—that is completely unacceptable and please know that we are taking steps to ensure that every guest receives warm, thorough and personalized service. We also take very seriously the issues you raised as to the check in experience and common ares of the hotel—thanks to your feedback, we can take the proper steps to improve.

We would love another opportunity to provide you with a truly exceptional St Giles New York experience. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally at chriss@stgilesnewyork.com or 212.685.1100 ext. 1305 if you would like to discuss your experience in detail or if we can arrange a future stay for you.

Chris Swaim
Director of Front Office
Lawrenceville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Great location near Grand Central Station and Metro lines. Was shocked to see spacious room, walk in closet, big bathroom AND balcony with view of Chrysler Building! Quiet room, comfortable bed with plenty of pillows. Great thermostat kept us warm during the day and cool at night (at our adjustments). Pleasant staff and maid got right into room so we never came back to our mess. Got a great deal on Hotwire and definitely would stay here again. Not one thing to say that isn't exemplary.

Room Tip: Request a balcony :-)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Chris O
North Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Spent four nights here in mid-December and it was wonderful. My suite was incredibly large, by any standard let alone NYC standards, and incredibly comfortable...with a huge living room with a sofa, big chaise lounge, monstrous desk, etc...and a good-sized bedroom and bathroom. The bed linens were very nice as were the pillows and the bed was very comfortable. Great functional and clean bathroom with a big tub/shower combination. Loved the complimentary Philosophy toiletries which were generously replaced everyday as well as the in-room coffee and tea service (I don't recall if this was automatically there or I had to request it). I was on one of the higher floors and at the back of the building but still had some street noise...which is to be expected virtually anywhere in Manhattan...but it never kept me awake (possibly because I always use earplugs),

Most of the service was consistently fantastic...the people at the front desk were so friendly and helpful all the time as were the bellmen. The concierge...not so much! I asked once for information on restaurants in the immediate area and she just handed me a pile of paper menus, most of which were from places I would never eat...especially when there are so many terrific options in NYC. She did not try at all to be friendly or helpful...and I never "bothered" her again. Also stopped in the bar one night...what a joke!...I asked for one of the drinks from the bar menu and the bartender told me she didn't have the stock to make it. Okay...so I tried another item FROM THE BAR MENU and she told me the same thing. This went on...literally...for another six to eight items, all of which were listed ON THE BAR MENU. Ridiculous!! I finally just asked her what she could make and had that. Funny that she seemed so much more accomodating when a group of her friends came into the bar... Overall though, the service from the other staff was so good that it made up for these few exceptions.

The hotel is in a really good central location, at least for what I was interested in doing...Grand Central Station, Rockefeller Center, shopping along Fifth Avenue, Park Avenue, etc., Soho, Greenwich Village, Columbus Circle, Gramercy Park, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Museum of Natural History, etc. But keep in mind that I did a lot of walking...at least 8 miles a day...never used the subway or other public transportation and only took a cab once...back from lower Manhattan (9/11 Memorial) after having walked there. So, if you are interested in doing things all over Manhattan, this is a perfect location. If you will be sticking more to upper Manhattan, you may want to find a hotel closer to that section. I am planning another trip to NYC in June and will probably spend most of my time in upper Manhattan, so I am looking for a hotel farther up...but if I cannot find one for a reasonable rate, I will very happily stay at the St. Giles again.

One suggestion for the hotel...getting ice is harder than it needs to be. Every night when I wanted a bucket of ice, I had to call down to the front desk to request it...which is fine,,,but then I had to walk down to the front desk to get it myself...which seems unnecessarily inconvenient. One night, I literally stood at the front desk and waited 15-20 minutes until someone was available who could get me a bucket of ice. When the bar is right there?! If there is no place to locate ice machines on the room floors, then at least have someone bring it to the room. Maybe that bartender who doesn't know how (or won't) make any mixed drinks...?

All in all, a great stay.

Room Tip: Upper floor room at the back of the building.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Detroit, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Great Location. I got this hotel via hotwire. Quite a large room even though we had the smallest room per the room map. Rooms are showing age. Bathrooms are quite outdated and unless you are smaller than 5'7" you will NOT fit under the showerhead. Suprise and delight was the separate area with a mini-fridge and closet. Bed was very comfortable, however they do not have down pillows.

The staff were very cool - desk staff / Door Man / housekeeping. Very impressed.

My only complaint were the paper thin walls in the rooms. I could hear the people in the room across the hall from us as clear as if they were in our room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank congoroom
Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Needed a room for a night in a convenient spot, this was great for that. The room was really nice, with a spacious, comfy bed, and a mini-bar with a lot of choices. The biggest issue was the noise. The Court is located on a corner in the busy midtown area, if you get a room facing the street be prepared for noise, noise, and more noise. Street traffic all night- cars, delivery trucks, and very early morning construction. Couldn't sleep at all, bring earplugs!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
eaton rapids
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was in NYC for business (Feb. 4-5, 2013) and stayed in a deluxe king room. It was very nice. Everything (the room, bed, bathroom, bar, local restaurants, coffee shop, and location) was great! The room was surprisingly large, especially considering I have stayed in other NYC hotels that are not that much larger than the bed. My room had a flat screen television, a chair, a built in wall desk and a huge closet! The bed was very comfortable to sleep in and my room was relatively quiet. There were four plug outlets throughout the room. The Philosophy toiletries were a nice touch. The bathroom window opened so if it got too hot from the shower, you could open the window a little bit.

Flew into LaGuardia and took the Airport bus (LGA and JFK have a shuttle) for $13 one way. It drops you off at Grand Central, which is approximately 3 blocks from The Court.

Coffee shop - Lucid Cafe is just a block down the street. Went there once, the guy remembered what I ordered the second time I went! Nice!

Rossini's Italian restaurant is around the corner - will go there again for sure!

The staff were friendly, and made excellent recommendations and were very helpful with any questions that were asked. I will be back to this establishment.

Room Tip: Ask for a deluxe king.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business