“Very pleasant stay”

The Court – A St Giles Hotel
Ranked #325 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed at The Court from Monday 28th - Thursday 31st January, for business in NYC.
Have stayed at this hotel many times during the past few years (I travel to NYC 4/5 times a year from UK) and as always found everything very good, from bell staff and check in staff to housekeeping and maintenance - all are extremely cheerful, friendly, helpful and knowledgable about the hotel itself and any other New York City advice needed!!
This visit was the first time I had experienced any issue at all that I needed to raise with front desk, room on 10th floor overlooking Lexington, really noisy, but was immediately moved to room on 15th floor 1517 which was large, perfect and very, vert quiet!
Have stayed in many hotels in NYC over the years, ranging from way overpriced large chains with small rooms to mid range hotels with 'unpleasant' rooms but will continue to stay at The Court for the foreseeable future as it is always consistent in service, cleanliness and comfort, also the location is great, possibly the best in the city.
As a business traveller sometimes spending extended times away from home it is very refreshing to find a hotel that, upon arrival makes you feel like you are actually at home!!
Another note on cleanliness - I am extremely picky when it comes to beds and bathrooms and I have never had any issue with the cleanliness here - NYC has had bad press regarding bed bugs - this is something I always check for in ANY hotel and have never found anything untoward here.
Thanks to all at The Court for another great stay and I look forward to returning

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ken E

Reviewed February 1, 2013

The Hotel is average. It is a good located 3 Star Hotel . Nice design , good restaurtants and coffeshops around but teh interia is old, and not 4 star like, teh quality of teh bed and lineing is poor and the bath is from teh 60th....

But it is clean queit and Ok for the price. A good city hotel to start NY tours.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Joachim B
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I LOVE this boutique hotel! A week prior to traveling to NYC for a wedding with my husband and 5 grown kids, our lodging arrangements fell through leaving us potentially stranded. Hailing from NY originally and visiting quite frequently, we've stayed all over manhattan over the years in every type of accommodation from chain hotels to short term rental apartments. We needed two suites and one regular room to get everyone situated and since we were picking up the tab for everyone, hoped to spend less than what we pay for our monthly mortgage!

Found the St Giles on Expedia at what appeared to be a reasonable rate, especially for the square footage they described for each room. Given the complicated nature of our needs, with members of our party checking in and out at different times, I decided to call instead of booking through a web-site. The reservations agent, Paul, was incredibly patient, taking all the time I needed to make sure the complex reservation of three rooms with different dates was correct. When I asked about honoring the Expedia rate, he had me hold on, and I figured I'd have to pay more. When he came back to the phone, he did so with a better rate than Expedia.

What started as a panicked state of mind, turned into a zen-like calm now that the reservation was made. My only concern was how the property would measure up compared to the claims and photos on their web-site. Again, what a pleasant surprise. I was met with patience and professionalism upon checking in with Daniel. He took the confusing details of our reservation in stride and we were off to our rooms quickly.

Don't let the small lobby and check-in desk fool you. Walking into the executive suite was a wonderful surprise. Hard to believe the amount of room for the rate we paid. The junior executive suite was not quite as big, but more than sufficient for our needs. I never did get to see the regular sized room, but my son and his girlfriend had no complaints.

The location is great; 3 short streets from Grand Central Station. Given how cold it was in the middle of January, that short walk was greatly appreciated by all. The Murray Hill area has just the right balance of city energy and residential calm.

The only reason I didn't give 5 stars, is the lack of a coffee maker in the room. When its 12 degrees outside, you don't want to have to brave the cold for that first cup of Joe. The other issue was the lack of space in the bathroom. The actual square footage was more than sufficient, but there was little room to put anything down. Even the structure of the sink left toothbrushes and other hygiene tools in the sink instead of on it. When you've got three people in a room, one small glass shelf isn't going to cut it.

Overall, I would strongly recommend the St Giles Court and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Only4Now
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of experiencing this wonderful Hotel in this wonderful city. The first thing I must comment on is the unbelievable service from the staff - namely Isa, Blanca and Juan who were kind enough to upgrade us to a suite upon hearing that we were newly weds. In addition to the upgrade we were gifted a bottle of wine, drinks tokens to the bar and cookies!!
The room was huge, clean and had a beautiful view of the Chrysler tower. We had 2 flat screen TV's, a Bose sound system and a mini bar.
Location is superb - 2 blocks away from Grand Central Term and 5 away from Empire State. Time Square is no more than ten minutes walk. Don't be alarmed at comments re noise - it's New York - it's called New York "Jazz" and it didn't disturb us in the slightest. My only disappointment was when we had to leave. The bar was a lovely fire - perfect for warmth after a long day sight seeing in minus 14 degrees! The cocktails are fantastic and not to bad in price. There is no room service but it's New York so get out there and sample the local delights - TheBlack Shack is highly recommended as is Brunch in The Junction Bar opposite on Park Ave.
Thank you all at St Giles for making our stay so memorable and I promise we will be back to stay in 1603.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Myself and two friends stayed at the St. Giles - The Court for a girl's weekend. This was the only hotel I could find with two queen beds in one room (all the rest only had two double beds, and while I like my friends, I don't want to cuddle with them). The rooms were very spacious and the beds quite comfortable. The furniture is showing it's age a bit and the bathroom needs some freshening up, but you cannot beat the location for this price. The bar downstairs is a great place to grab a cocktail (or several) prior to heading out for the night. The concierge was spot-on with her dining recommendations. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amy B
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My friend and I stayed here over MLK weekend and found it perfectly fine. We were very kindly upgraded to a spacious suite, and it was great not to be tripping over each other in what is usually our small NYC hotel room. A huge living area, a coat closet, minibar, plus large bedroom and excellent bathroom--we were really pleased. The place could use a little tweaking as far as sprucing up decor, but really, that's if you're pretty picky. Lobby is understated and classy, breakfast is offered and the hotel has a nice bar. Very good location (super close to Grand Central, with all of the transportation, shopping, restaurants, etc.) and friendly, helpful staff. We have stayed in a LOT of NYC hotel rooms over the years, and this place ranks near the top in all categories. I would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is the former W hotel at 39th and Lex.

Pros:
- friendly staff
- nice gym (albeit in their sister property next door)
- they upgraded us to a very generous-sized suite for our one-night stay
- good location
- extremely comfortable bed

Cons
- Kinda old run-down feeling. Somewhat surprising since it was previously the W, which is supposed to be fresh/hip.
- The heat in the room clanked loudly all day/night. You know that thing where when the heat turns on, you hear clicks / clanks in the pipes? Well this sounded like a guy was banging on the pipe with a wrench every 45 mins or so, even waking us up in the middle of the night. Don't know if it's just because it's an old heating system or what, but it's something I've only really seen in 2 / 3-star properties.

Otherwise, a very nice 1-night stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple