“Bed bugs”

The Court – A St Giles Hotel
Ranked #325 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here 12/29/2012 and 12/30/2012. 12th floor. Initially we loved the corner room we had and thought it was a great location. The morning of 12/30 we awoke early after 5 hours sleep to find small, translucent with red center, slow-crawling bugs of different sizes on and around our pillows. We checked our mattress on arrival and found nothing so we either didn't check well enough or the brown fabric head boards are where they live, as we didn't check it at all.

After reporting the bugs and having the head of housekeeping come up to view the crawling bugs, we were promptly moved to a different room on the 4th floor but it was impossible to sleep the second night in this hotel. To their credit, they immediately offered to dry clean whatever clothes we gave them but would not refund any of our stay because we purchased through Hotwire. Hotwire did end up refunding the first night stay for us. Now we have to hope that we didn't bring these bugs home with us.

The frustrating part from our perspective is that they had no action plan for us other than, we'll clean your clothes and move you to a new room. You would think in the city with the most bed bugs there would be some type of handout to give people that provides advice, answers questions and maybe some free pest control spray to put on our luggage and the clothes we were wearing that could not go to be dry cleaned. You know, like a now-that-you've been-violated-by-blood-sucking-vampire-bugs, here is what you need to do to minimize the chance of bringing these bugs to your home kind of information sheet. It was very haphazard and horrifying. Never again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank kwd2013
Chris S, Front Office Manager at The Court – A St Giles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Bed bugs are a very serious issue in our industry today. It is an important subject which we act on immediately. We conduct regular and thorough inspections at all of our hotels and take every possible measure to ensure the health and safety of our guests while they are with us.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We love the Court. The staff is very friendly and welcoming. The rooms are big and homey. We have stayed at more expensive hotels which have rooms half the size. Downside: Some of the rooms have small bathrooms, and the lights could be brighter. However, we enjoy so much about the hotel, that these small things don't really mar the experience. The rooms are always very clean. I am allergic to feather pillows and they make sure that the pillows are replaced with foam. I like the little snack in the afternoon and the New York Times in the morning. Please note: we are always friendly and nice and we get treated accordingly. People who are rude at the front desk may not get the same warmth that we do, but I noticed the desk clerk was civil in the face of an entitled guest. We have rarely had a noise issue, but when we did security promptly took care of it (an aging rock band, of all things.) Avoid the Icon restaurant for breakfast, and enjoy the Starbucks down the street.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BroomerParker
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed in room 512. A combination of single pane windows, incredible street noise and a large construction project across the street made for a nightmare of a stay. At around $300 a night this is a joke. The loud room heater rattled all night. Due to a gap under the window there was a constant draft or cold air flowing through the room so the temperature was either Africa hot or freezing. On a positive note the beds were comfortable and the staff was nice.

During the night when there was not construction the noise level was still unbearable. We slept with ear plugs and were awoken to sirens, horns and (no lie) yelling and people conversations. I would suggest bringing an eye-mask also because there are no drapes in the rooms just a window covering that does not block the sun.

Room Tip: pick a different hotel for a good room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mals34

Thank you so much for your review and the kind words regarding our staff and the comfort of the bed. We always strive to provide our guests with an excellent stay. And in doing so, we regularly inspect our rooms so that they are in terrific condition. We value and rely on reviews like yours, so that we can improve each guests experience. Thanks to your review We've already taken such steps to make improvements. As you know, street noise goes hand-in-hand with New York and we anticipate the project that you mentioned to be completed soon. We will always make our best effort to accommodate a request for a quiet room. I understand your frustrations and truly hope we get the opportunity to provide you with a heightened signature experience in the future. Please contact the hotel directly for future bookings and we will be certain to take care of you.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Besides the fact that some of the electric appliances like telefon, some lights and others we just not functioning we had a familiy with 4 small children in the room next to our suite. The acoustic seperation from that room was so terrible that we had the feeling to live with that family in the same room we were able to follow each coverstion word by word. (With 4 small children there were a lot of coerstions. That was realy bad. The valet parking was not 65 USD per day as the front desk told me, it was USD 65 per car delivery if there were more that 1 delivery per day.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Thomas J
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We had a special on this hotel. It really has a great location. The rooms are well sized, especially for NYC. The hotel has made some attempts to update, but the staff is a little standoffish, and the lobby is ridiculously dark.
No coffee maker in the room. :-/

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 26, 2012

St Giles is what mid size hotel just round the corner from Grand Central and is ideal for the first timer in New York. Centrally located, small, cozy and warm. Amenities are as you you would expect in the heart of New York. No plush luxury but more than basic and functional.
Staff were courteous and the general ambiance was welcoming. Medium cost at about $ 200.
I would recommend St Giles any day.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed one night in this hotel and I quite enjoyed myself. I had a nice view of the Empire State Building colors (although it was a bit foggy/rainy the night I stayed). When I checked in, I was upgraded to a larger room at no extra cost. I rather liked the retro feel of the room. The radio was old school. Not an iPod dock or anything. A retro styled radio with an alarm and a clock with hands...not digital. I liked that, but I'm an old soul at heart. I happened to turn on a jazz station and let it play while I relaxed. I think the jazz added to the retro feel of the room. The TV is not retro (it's HD) and you do have all the other amenities such as mini-bar, in-room safe, hair dryer, plenty of towels, soaps, shampoos, etc...

My room was far enough from the elevator bank that it was quiet at night. Yes, there are small things that can be touched up. For instance, a little extra paint could be applied here and there to the window areas and the window treatments could be updated. However, I like a pitch-black room when I sleep and the current window treatments provided that. So I consider that functional and fine. For the price, I don't care if the shades are not brand spanking new, as long as they are not dirty and in disrepair. If they are clean, do the job, and don't malfunction, they pass my test.

The staff was very helpful and kind. I am a firm believer that staff can make or break a hotel. During check-in and check-out both members of the staff were polite and not rushed. St. Giles is a very nice, stable, clean, comfortable hotel with a great staff. There are diners and bodegas nearby for any snacking or food needs. Also you are within walking distance to Grand Central Station, which gives you access to many trains and subways. Also, if I'm not mistaken, there are a few airport bus lines that stop in that area as well (however you may want to research that to be sure).

I would definitely consider staying here again when I am in town for business. Perhaps more than one night this time.

Room Tip: Don't reserve on a travel site. Reserve through the hotel site directly. I don't know this...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business