“No 4 Star Hotel”

The Court – A St Giles Hotel
Ranked #333 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 29, 2011

This is NOT a 4 star hotel. We booked an Executive Junior Suite Room and it was far from being executive. The room had a hole in the ceiling and carpet was torn and stained. The air conditioning unit was fitted into the window with plastic panels and you could hear all the sounds from the street (very noisy). The bathtub and sink would not drain (we complained, however it was not repaired). The lobby furniture was dirty and worn. The concierge was not very helpful. The doorman was not attentive and seemed as though he was not interested in his job. Robes were not provided, towels were thin. The hairdryer was dirty and hung on the back of door. Upon our departure, we spoke to the attendant at the front desk and she said that she could not do anything and gave me a card and encouraged me to call the number on the card to complain. It cost $260.00/night and ABSOLUTELY NOT worth it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,127)

Reviewed October 26, 2011

I have been staying in the Murray Hill area of Manhattan for a number of years. I'm always hunting for a mid-town hotel, on the East Side, that offers comfort, cleanliness & good value. I had hopes for the St. Giles Court because of the reviews I read here on Trip Advisor.
Maybe I was in a parallel universe because my room was small, overwhelmingly noisy and poorly designed and organized. The windows were filthy, the thermostat completely non-functional, the room was dark (until I figured out how to plug in a lamp), the bed sagged and the TV/VCR combo was located on a conference table parallel to the side of the bed so that it was impossible to use - without being a contortionist or courting a back injury.
I had a massive walk-in closet, a separate room that contained nothing but a mini-bar - I requested a coffee maker and then couldn't plug it in in the mini-bar room - no reachable electrical outlet. There was a third room that held nothing but a safe, securely placed on a high shelf.
It would have been preferable to have a room large enough to put the TV at the foot of the bed. Why the safe needed a room of its own, I haven't a clue. And I really didn't need a massive walk-in closet - I don't think many travelers do - most of us try to take only carry-on luggage so we don't have enough clothing to use a walk-in.
The street noise was horrible; the room had a window air conditioner and this contributed to the high decibel level. Luckily, I had ear plugs!
The water pressure in the shower was excellent; but, I never had a single washcloth; I had several bottles of hair conditioner but no shampoo; on 2 of the 4 days I never got a replacement bath mat.
The staff at reception were friendly and courteous; they did their best but there was nothing they could do to improve room #409.
I won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank modesty55jacmel
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Terrific location on corner of Lexington and 39th, rooms are modern and relatively large by NYC standards. Boutique feel. Lobby is small, wifi available in the lobby. Staff friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south provide great view of the Chrysler Building
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We just spent a weekend at SGT. Overall, we found it a perfect location for our stay, with friendly and very helpful staff a key plus. It’s on a quiet street, but a 15 min walk away from Grand Central, Park Ave., Times Square, and the U.N. Some of the things said in previous reviews were true. The lenticular effect panel in the elevator is not very appealing, but don’t look at it—the elevators are fast enough. There’s a key card system to the elevator that seemed to stump a lot of people, but was the same as opening a hotel door. The hot water is indeed extremely hot, so use caution. Yes, there could be a limiter on the faucet for safety, but I’d rather have an abundance of hot water than the opposite. The beds were extremely comfortable, and I would have liked to take the pillows home—the best of any hotel I’ve stayed in. We didn’t find the furnishings all that dated, but the grout could have been cleaned better in the bathroom, the finish on the desk was worn, there was a small burn hole on our bedspread, and the windows needed cleaning on the outside, as did the wooden blinds—very dusty. Our biggest complaint: except for the bathroom, the light in the room was extremely dim. It was almost impossible to read in the bed. Overall, though, it was a great value for the price, as the most important things—helpful staff, clean (where it mattered most) and comfortable bed, clean and well appointed bathroom (excepting grout) were all taken care of. We would definitely stay again, but hope some of the areas noted could be attended to before then—especially the lighting. BTW, if you book ahead of time on their website, you can get a pretty terrific rate--for NYC.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe king which is a corner room--ample space.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Tuttidirezioni
Reviewed October 17, 2011

The hotel location is great for easy access to Grand Central Terminal. It's a little farther walk to Times Square about 8 blocks which is fine if the weather is good. The tree lined Park Avenue was pretty with the leaves beginning to turn. The bar area in the hotel is loud and tends to have a younger crowd with the Tuscany (the sister hotel that is right next door) having a quieter bar area. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. We ate breakfast at Blooms which was right around the corner on Lexington - less expensive and good food and service. Would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: We had the deluxe king room - very comfortable and roomy - nice walk in closet.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank friems
Reviewed October 14, 2011

We stayed in the suite (one bedroom and one bath, with queen fold out), and it was a great value for the weekend (around $300/night). What we didn't expect was the fact that there was no door between the bedroom and living room, so no privacy. My sister-in-law snores like a gorilla, so sleeping was challenging with no door between the two rooms. I broke a lightbulb in a pedestal lamp while trying to transfer it to the bedside lamp that had no bulb, cleaned up most of it, and thought (as one would) the cleaners would get the rest of it, but there were shards of glass left on the floor till we left three days later.

On the up-side, the location is perfect: within walking distance to Grand Central, and an easy subway ride to anywhere in the city. Our room had a fabulous view of the Chrysler Building. The consierge was helpful, albiet too casual, in my opinion (shift change, and chatting amongst themselves, leaving us standing there for a good two minutes).

I probably would stay here again, but would get two rooms.

Room Tip: Check hotel website first before booking with Expedia or the like. We got a better deal doing so.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank LivingJoyfully
Reviewed October 4, 2011

St Giles hotel has very big rooms and their beds are excellent.The view was great from our room (10th floor) The gym is perfect. The staff was very helpfull and friendly. As we had a room on Lexington it was a bit noisy. Very good location,2 minutes from central station and nice neighbourhood. They have also a good bar on lex.
The quality was perfect !

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family