“Hummus that reminds me of Israel”
Review of Balaboosta

Balaboosta
Reserve with OpenTable
Balaboosta is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #863 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Nolita
Cross street: Prince and Spring Streets
Transit: 6 train to Spring Street N R W to Prince Street B D F M trains to Broadway/Lafayette
Description: Balaboosta in NOLITA http://carlosmeliablog.com/2010/11/13/balaboosta-in-nolita/
New York, New York, United States
“Hummus that reminds me of Israel”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I've spent some time in Israel, so it's always depressing eating the inferior Israeli condiments in the United States, particularly hummus. Balaboosta, on the other hand, reminds me of Israel. The food is always fresh, simple, and the hummus/pita plate that they serve there is the best I've had in the city. Soft, fluffy pita (not that flat crap), lightly charred, and hummus with zaatar, my favorite spice blend (oregano, basil thyme, thyme and savory). Literally everything on the menu is worth ordering, so go wild. They have Israeli and Morrocan beer on the menu, but neither are worth drinking.

• Visited September 2012

• Hebrew first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Sounds Kosher, but isn't”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Despite the Yiddish name (balaboosta means highest achiever in homemaking), the fare is neither typical Jewish nor typical Israeli. It presents a fresh take by combining Middle Eastern flavors with Mediterranean foods. My two appetizers - the fluke ceviche and the Israeli street fair covered all food groups and were perfect for a complete dinner. My guest had the market salad and the Bronzino which was done to lemony garlicky perfection. The room is small and the bistro style seating is tight. A terrific date night treat!

1 Thank nydolly
Irving, Texas
“Hmm!”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Well Started off with an excellent appetizer. The Spinach salad was excellent. But seem to go downhill from there. Ate at the restaurant on August 29 around 930 pm. I wanted the Red snapper and they were all out hence ordered the fish special (forgot what it was called) Did not really care for it. Tasted my sister's whole chicken dish and thought it was dry. The best part of the chicken dish was the Quinoa or may be it was couscous. Was a little disappointed after starting off so well.

• Visited August 2012
New York City, New York
“And to think that I ate it on Mulberry Street!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

A friend recommended Balaboosta. I'm glad he did. We went with our friends and our 15-year-old sons. The menu is divided into three sections: small plates, appetizers and entrees. We shared 5 small plates among the table, and then we ordered variously two appetizers or an entree. Without exception, the food was absolutely delicious - we didn't have anything that wasn't fantastic. We had all of the small plates but one; the best were the zucchini fritters and the burrata, but the hummus was a close runner-up. The "Israeli Street Fair" (chicken and lamb sausage on a pita with onions and yogurt sauce, with pickles and sweet potato fries) was great, as was the pizza and the salmon ceviche (a daily special). The chicken under a brick and beet pasta were also terrific. We'll probably go back to try the other half of the menu. We've been to a lot of restaurants in New York City; Balaboosta is definitely one of the best. And while not cheap, it's a good value - the portions are generous and we all left satisfied (even the 15-year-old boys!). Highly recommended!

New York City, New York
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Yesterday I had the pleasure of dining at Balaboosta with colleagues for an informal business lunch. Every item they put on the table was excellent. They serve small plates but family-style. the fish was amazing and the banana bread dessert with yogurt icecream SO YUMMY. Everyone enjoyed the meals. Each time they put a new plate on the table everyone was thrilled to try it.

I would definitely go back.

• Visited August 2012