“Great pretzels!”

Ranked #203 of 402 Bakeries in New York City
Neighborhood: East Village
Neighborhood: East Village
Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

I am not a Pretzel expert i thought the product was simply terrific! I tried truffle cheddar with mustard and chased it with Spaten. Perfect snack!

Reviewed March 23, 2012

We (wife, 13 year old daughter and I) had filled our daughter's head with stories of yummy NYC pretzels for years. Unfortunately we had last been to New York in 1992 and our first two tries at the quintessential street food were disappointing. Then, after spending the morning at the Met, we discovered the Sigmund's Pretzel cart by the museum. The cart (run by the restaurant) provided my daughter a taste of the pretzel we had fallen in love with twenty years prior. The pretzel was the perfect balance of soft and chewy and was full of flavour. As our daughter does not like the salted version, she was able to choose plain while we indulged ourselves in the salted and one of the flavoured pretzels (parmesan and truffle)....absolute pretzel nirvana ensued. Take a pass on the prepackaged bagged pretzels some sell and spend a little more for a lovely taste of what a pretzel should be at Sigmund's.

The friendly staff (two ladies in a rather small space but with big and friendly personalities) just made it that much better.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

In my opinion the pretzels were neither great nor horrible, just pretzels. We tried three different types and found them all a little bland. The various dips they have are pretty good though. Something else to consider is that they have a nice selection of beer and an overall nice atmosphere. So while I wouldn't recommend hiking all the way to the eastside to try the just the pretzels, I would definitely recommend going there for a few beers with some pretzels and nice place to sit and relax as a bonus.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

If you like hot pretzels, this quirky little spot is a must. The garlic/parsley and olive/feta are my favorites, but the plain salt pretzel is also great. I'm not crazy about the pretzel sandwiches (maybe I'm just a purist), but they serve La Colombe coffee and have nice specials which keep the menu interesting. Definitely worth stopping by if you're in the neighborhood.

Reviewed October 14, 2011

I had been planning to visit this shop since reading about it in the NY Times. I consider myself a soft pretzel aficionado. I don't like that street cart schlock.

I caught Sigmund Pretzel on a Friday at a stand on 5th Avenue. A bunch of food trucks were there in tents.

My pretzel was heated up and a nice balance of chewy and soft. Was it that much better than the good pretzels at Whole Foods in DC that cost a buck less? I am still undecided. However, I would recommend you visit Sigmund if you love soft pretzels.