“Amazing Service!”

Ranked #346 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
“Amazing Service!”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a week and the service I experienced was amazing. As soon as you walk in you are greeted by the staff. The decor and ambiance of the hotel is very chic, modern, and beautiful. My checking in process was very easy. I received the keys to my room and upon entering my room I did not realize that this hotel was more of a boutique style hotel as the rooms are smaller which is typical of many hotels in the New York area. After seeing the size of the room, I went to the front desk to ask if I could move into a bigger room because I like a lot of extra space, and they informed me that the rooms are that size because they want you to spend majority of your time out exploring the city, which makes total sense! After explaining the concept of the rooms to me the staff member offered to place me into a larger room and she gave me a key to the larger room so I could view it before making my decision. I ended up staying in the room I was in but I was very impressed that they were willing to move me into a larger room. The service in general was outstanding. The management team was amazing and accommodating and checked in with me to make sure I was taken care of and if there was anything extra I needed. Overall the experience was fabulous and when I come back to NY I will be staying at the Row Hotel!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kristen L
Eric_Foley, General Manager at Row NYC Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Kristen L,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so thrilled you had such a wonderful experience while staying with us! We thank you for your kind comments recognizing our customer service driven staff. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to NYC!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,604)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Midlands, England
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Stayed here in February when it was Milford Plaza as part of a very large group (over 50 of us on a drama trip).

There were 4 of us in a room, two double beds and be prepared the rooms are tiny! There was enough room for both beds and a tiny amount of space to walk between. The bathroom is barely big enough to turn around in. However, this worked for us - we were just using it as a base and it was clean and modern, we liked it.

It is also perfectly located between Times Square and Hells Kitchen, we couldn't have asked for a more ideal spot.

I also thought the interesting lift concept worked very well - you put your number in to the lift on the ground floor & then you have to go to the assigned lift.

Was more than happy with the cleanliness of the rooms, although some sweets we had brought did go missing on one day - we think they may have been accidentally thrown away. Due to the size of the rooms, obviously shopping bags are going to be on the floor (as there is literally nowhere to put them) so staff need to make sure that they are even more careful about belongings, but overall we have no complaints about cleanliness.

The reason I haven't given it a full star rating:

1) The rest of our group got checked in fine apart from 2 room (ours and another one). It was over a 2 hour wait and no real apologies or any empathy - we had just flown in from London after all.

2) When we finally got in our room. Our safe was broken and so was our tv. I went down on the way out to report this, and was told by the staff (understandably) that we would need to be in our room to fix them (although this has never been the case in other hotels I have stayed in, if that is their policy this is fine). I came back earlier than the rest of my party from dinner out to get this sorted. TWO hours later, I was still waiting - the rest of my group had come back & gone to bed & we were still waiting for this to be fixed!! I called down repeatedly to the front desk to be constantly brushed aside, and eventually went out in the hallway & grabbed a passing maintenance man! This was a severely bad level of service.

3) Outside of the hotel is touts selling tickets for bus tours. One that is located very close to the doors is Go New York (Green bus). This is a severly dodgy company (as Trip Advisor proves) and I had an awful experience with them. I went to advise the Hotel Reception and they told me they already knew & basically what did I expect as it was a cheaper option than the others. If they already knew, why were they not advising guests on check in? Why were there no posters up in the lifts advising to avoid this company? I have travelled all over the world and think this would be done everywhere else, especially in England. It shows a severe lack of care to say 'yes we knew and we didn't care enough to warn you.'.

However overall, we had a very enjoyable stay at the Milford Plaza. Would I stay here again? Probably, its an excellent base and such an amazing location, but I would be very interested to compare it to other hotels in the area.

On a positive note, our group had a wonderful time in NYC - we loved it there :-)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Alwayspoppy
Eric_Foley, General Manager at Row NYC Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Alwayspoppy,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our central location and found our unique elevator system to be efficient. We regret to hear of the inconvenience you experienced regarding the TV and safe as well as the wait time to check-in with you group. We appreciate your comments, as the can only allow us to improve. I have notified the appropriate department heads, and they are further investigating this matter. We hope to host your return trip to New York City.
Townsend, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Going to NYC with daughter and her friend, I worry about safety and bed bugs! I would definitely stay at the ROW again next year. Quick to Times Square and restaurants and felt safe walking late at night. Rooms were small, but clean with very friendly staff. They could use a little more storage space in the bathrooms, shelves, hooks or something, but overall I would rate this a very good hotel.

Dear Lori M,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our unbeatable location and found our staff to be friendly. We regret to hear you found your room to be on the small side; however we do offer larger room sizes and layouts and would be more than happy in assisting you book a larger room category for a future stay. We hope to have you back soon.
Cochabamba, Bolivia
Reviewed July 30, 2014

My husband and I stayed here last November for two nights. The hotel was still under construction at that time, but was already looking like there were some fabulous upgrades. We didn't take advantage of the restaurant/bar at the hotel, but it all looked lovely. The rooms were small, but that's expected in NYC. The bed, blankets, and pillows were all super comfy and I'm a bit of a bed snob. We had a corner room and it had windows and a view on both sides. Beautiful. The bathroom was small as well, but functioned fine for 2 people. Both the room and the bathroom were very clean. The rooms are tastefully appointed just like in the photos. Oh yeah, they also have a nice business center where you can print out tickets or whatever you need. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better deal than the Row NYC for location and price. We love to be in the heart of it all and so are willing to pay a little more. (In fact we've discovered that we save the extra money we spend on hotels close to Time Square by being able to be at the front of rush ticket lines and get Broadway tickets for less money.) We go to NYC for the Broadway shows and the food. If you are like us then this could be the hotel for you.

Room Tip: If you can get a corner room higher up on the south side, I think you'll enjoy it.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Denise H
Dear Denise H,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your most recent stay with us last November. It gives us great pleasure to hear you enjoyed our convenient location and found your bed and pillows to be super comfy. We hope to host your next Broadway getaway, in the heart of the theater district!
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Great price, service, location, and room! Had an excellent time. I booked a standard room and was not expecting to get a window too, it was the best stay I'd ever had! Definitely going to book again soon. Highly recommend getting a room here one night! Service was amazing and so was the food at the restaurant. Room was spotless and beds were so comfy, highly recommend. Many of my friends have stayed here too after I told them to check it out.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Caylaf15
Dear Caylaf15,

Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel. We thank you for your kind comments recognizing our great value, service and unbeatable location. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your comfy bed and found our restaurant to be amazing. We appreciate your recommendations and hope to have you back soon.
Gilbert, South Carolina
Reviewed July 30, 2014

My family of 4 recently spent 3 nights here and received good service and quality for NYC hotel. The location is a block off the Times Square center, so you could get away from the crowds, but still be in the heart of it all. We stayed on the 17th floor which gave us a great view, but did not drown out all the city noise, which is part of the fun of visiting the city! The rooms were cozy but comfortable. Space is not a luxury you will get in the city, but we had two teen boys sharing our room and we all did just fine. The only issue we had was on the last night, the fire alarm went off and due to that, the constant announcements and "non-english" speaking folks on our floor who stayed out in the hall trying to ask people to translate for them. It lasted until well after midnight, so for those of us who needed to get up early and get moving, it was a restless night. The kids couldn't get back to sleep, due to their fear of something really being wrong!
A 5 star review goes out to Lori at the front desk who spent time with me helping me figure out the best route to take to get to Jersey City the following day to pick up a rental car. She was very kind and patient to this southern gal, and I enjoyed talking with her and her directions were spot on!!!
Overall, our family enjoyed our stay at Row NYC, and would stay here again!

3 Thank Stacy K
Dear Stacy K,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our convenient location and found your room to be cozy yet comfortable. It gives us great pleasure to know you and your family had an overall pleasant stay with us during your trip to the Big Apple. We do apologize for the scheduled fire alarm testing being performed during your stay. We thank you for your kind comments recognizing our 5 star customer service driven employee, Lori. We look forward to your future stay with us!
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We enjoyed our stay and found the staff to be very helpful. Well located for many theatres and good food. The room was large by NY standards and the novel elevator system is quite efficient. The in hotel convenience store had both USA Today and the NT Times

Room Tip: check deals on Internet
Dear Gordon H,

Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. We are so glad to hear you found our staff to be very helpful, and enjoyed our unbeatable location. We strive for efficiency throughout the hotel, and are delighted to hear your comments regarding our elevator system are indicative of this. We hope to host your future stay in NYC!