“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Peels - CLOSED

Peels
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: East Village
Cross street: 2nd St.
Transit: F Train to 2nd Avenue. 6 Train to Bleecker.
Nashville, Tennessee
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

I recently went to Peels for lunch during a holiday visit to NYC. This restaurant was just opening up when I moved out of the East Village and back down South a few years back. After hearing rave reviews from friends ever since, I had to try it out for myself. The restaurant has a great layout and doesn't feel like the typical cramped NYC restaurant/bar. My brother and I sat in a sunny booth on the second level. After an excellent round of drinks, we ordered brunch. As a Southerner who always lamented the inability of getting a biscuit anywhere in NYC when I lived there, I was definitely pleased to find a biscuit on the menu. Both my brother and I opted for the "build a biscuit," going with the fried chicken, scrambled eggs, and cheddar. We also ordered sides of jalapeno cheddar grits and thick cut house bacon. Words cannot convey how amazing all of these were. I definitely plan on going back at some point in the future, especially because the dinner menu looked equally great.

• Visited January 2013

Ocean Grove
“Lovely decor good food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our group of 6 had dinner here. We shared a few appetisers and a range of mains ( called entree) here.
The shared potato dumplings were a hit as were the fried onion rings and the tasty corn dogs.
The most popular main was the pork, but the southern fried chicken, fish stew (mostly muscles) and the vegetable pie were all good.
In all a good meal, service not as friendly as we have experienced in other restaurants nearby.

• Visited January 2013
Franklin, Tennessee
“Great southern flare in the city.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

A friend and I ended up starting out evening at Peel's per another friends recommendation. We had some appetizers and drinks and everything was on point. Specifically, the autumn old-fashioned with house made pumpkin bitters was legit.

Visited October 2012
Reno NV
“Perfect spot on a winter day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Outside it was practically a blizzard, with heavy, wet snow dampening the frigid air. Inside we found a cozy refuge: a hive abuzz with activity, churning out delicious comfort food and carefully curated cocktails. We split shrimp grits and the Gobblecado. Both were excellent. The shrimp grits were an irresistible combination of cheddar, jalapeño, butter, smooth grits, and perfectly cooked fresh shrimp. The Gooblecado was a pretty standard but well executed turkey sandwich, with quality ingredients and a good amount of avocado. The stand-out on this plate was the homemade potato chips.

We also enjoyed some cocktails... A St Germaine/ orange liqueur/ champagne concoction whose name I can't remember, and a bloody mary. Both were great.

The low point was probably our server, who was a little clueless about their bar offerings. Aside from that, the restaurant was lovely and the food was very high quality, gourmet comfort food. I'll definitely be back!

• Visited December 2012
“Dinner and a show”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Headed out to see STOMP which plays about 4 or 5 blocks away from this restaurant on 2nd ave. Was recommended to head there for dinner before the show. We made reservations for 6 pm, but it was crappy weather and our walking around plans were cut short so we headed in around 4:45. When we got there the hostess told us dinner wasn't served till 5 so we sat at the bar for happy hour. 9 dollar specialty drinks. My mate had the Peels Punch and I had some time of chapagney drink. They were different, but you got use to them. Different ingredients....so to speak. At about 530 we asked to be seated, but the upstairs does not open till 6pm so they sat us in a booth by the bar. They were super accommodating and we were content.
The waiter came by and took another drink order and told us the specials. He was quick and really nice. We ordered the potato dumplings to start they had in a squash with them and were out standing. We could have ordered more, but we moved on to our main course. We decided to order the Ribeye steak which was a special and was 30 oz so we split it along with the tuna tartar. The rob eye was a bit fatty, which is to be expected, it was also was more rare than medium rare. Which was not a problem for us, but it could be for most. It came with a fried vegetable salad of sorts which was a little to heavy on the fried. The steak was good, but I think I would have preferred a different cut of meat.
The tuna tartar was awesome. It had avocado and jalepeno. The jalepeno had the seeds out so it had a little kick but not much and the crunch accompanied it perfectly. Definitely recommend if you enjoy tuna.
We skipped on dessert and had a cup of coffee. I think our servers shift changed, but they didn't skip a beat as another server finished our table out for the night. Overall a great experience. For NYC to have dinner and 2 drink for a $110.... I didn't think it was overly expensive.

• Visited December 2012