“Will come back” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #101 of 475 Hotels in New York City
Edmonton, Alberta
“Will come back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I visited New York twice in July. Stayed at the Waldorf on a girls' trip and then here at the Jewel with my husband. This surpassed the Waldorf in many ways. I liked the size of this hotel and the location was exceptional. I was able to watch the start of a song on The Today Show on TV and walk down to the stage by the end of the song. We took advantage of the courtyard bar in Rockerfeller Plaza almost every afternoon. Even with all this action outside the front door, the room was quiet at night. It was so easy to access the subway and get to World Trade Center (Century 21), Little Italy, The Metropolitan Museum in Central Park. We were able to walk very easily to Central Park, Columbus Circle, Time's Square, Grand Central Station, 5th Avenue Shops, Broadway and Irish Pubs all around Broadway. We were also lucky enough to be in the city for New York Summer Streets, where Park Avenue was closed to all traffic and we could walk all the way from close to the hotel to Union Square, and then we continued to down to Soho. (This even happens again on August 15-16). The room is small but big enough for two people and our luggage. The air conditioning is efficient and the bed is somewhat comfortable. Loved the guest closet next to the filtered water on each floor. If you needed anything, it was there. Wifi which was included in the price of the room was always working. Staff at the hotel was wonderful from the front desk, the bellman, the cleaning staff. The entire hotel was very clean (much cleaner than the Waldorf). We did go to the Terrace Club on our first night and would not recommend it. There is much better food and service close by. Will come back to this hotel for sure on our next visit to New York.

4 Thank MKLong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Greek first
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

The location of this hotel is just perfect – literally right across the street from the Rockefeller Centre and St Patricks Cathedral just a few steps away. We stayed for 5 nights at the end of June requesting a corner room with a view. What a view it was, with stunning views of St Patricks Cathedral and the Rockefeller Plaza. Our room and bathroom were spotlessly clean and spacious with everything you could need.

Even though the hotel doesn’t have a huge reception area, the front desk staff were always on hand if you needed anything and were extremely polite and very helpful.

Guests of The Jewel are allowed access to The Terrace Club next door which I would strongly recommend using. We ate breakfast here every morning on the open-air terrace with fantastic views. It was reasonably priced and there was a great choice with something for everyone - light bites or a hearty meal, plus it was such a lovely start to the day.

We had a great time in New York and this hotel played a big part in making our vacation so special. I would recommend The Jewel to family and friends and we will definitely be making a return trip.

Room Tip: Corner room was spacious with stunning views.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JoStewart64
Middletown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

This past weekend we stayed at The Jewel. It was exceptional. The service & amenities were top notch. It was beyond what I expected. The Terrace Club dining next door was awesome. We have been to a number of hotels in NYC. This one is #1. I highly recommend it to everyone.

1 Thank garygreenbaypacker
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

My husband and I are regular travelers to NYC. We planned a five day stay and wanted a great value hotel near Central Park with a small kitchen. We booked a room here and it did not disappoint. We don't need a lot of hand holding or direction so this place was perfect for us. We could check in and out via computer. There was a person in the lobby 24 hours per day, but it is not a heavily staffed, frilly place. If you are a savvy traveler who can find their way around this is the place for you. The kitchen was tiny but useful. The bed was comfortable. A nice bonus was the filtered water station on the second floor stocked with empty water bottles you could fill up on your own. The location is also nice, between 5th and 6th Avenues on 51st street. We also appreciated the daily maid service that was prompt and very good. We would definitely return here.

Room Tip: The second floor has a living room area with free coffee and filtered water and a television.
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank JIA-7
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I was in NYC for business again this past week and needed a convinet, clean and comfortable hotel. I checked into room 1202 with after notifying them that I would be running late. The room is the perfect size for one or two people with a queen size bed and all of the effeciant amnities I am used to at the Jewel. I had a view room which gave me a great view Radio City Music hall and a chance to people watch over looking the Club Quarters outdoor dining area. I could also see into Rockefella Plaza wich was nice.

The bathroom was HUGE and all of the amnities were stocked and ready. The bed was comfortable though I did find the pillows a bit stiff and I didn't remember that from before. The staff was friendly and helpful from check in to check out. They even arranged for a black car to drive to me Penn Station in the rain on a Friday during rush hour! A huge help.

I will be back for sure!

Room Tip: 1202 is a great corner room with floor to celing windows and a decent view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelGirlFromCT
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I have stayed in many hotels over my traveling experience. I did like the Jewel, but I was not thrilled with the price I paid for the room I got. Here are my Pros and Cons:

Pros:
* The location is great that is for sure. It is across the street from Rockefeller Center and very close to Radio City Music Hall and Times Square.
* Free (included in your hotel cost) wifi in your room and on the second floor computer centre.
* Cool fresh bottled water stations on each floor that you can take as you explore the city.
*Fairly quite hotel when it comes to sleeping.

Cons:
* The lobby is just weird. Not a big deal..... trying to act fashionable I think.
* Went in and out many times and not once did the person on the "front desk" say hi or even acknowledge me. Hotel business is the people business people.
* The rooms are small and even worse for my 360.00usd per night my view on the 3rd floor window was all of the air conditioners (room 303 is to be avoided). Of course the air conditioners ran all the time, but I got used to the noise and it was better then other NYC noises. I have to say that the room was clean, the bathroom used the space well and the shower was good. The bed mattress was very poor. Not a high quality comfortable sleep mattress. Felt more like a pull out mattress from a couch mattress ;(

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank mr_disney1964
Clemmons, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights and had 3 people- it is almost impossible to find a hotel room in Manhattan for more than 2 people. We had requested a room with a chair bed- but ended up with a cot instead, but our son was happy with that- the perks and location were great. Every Floor had a water Machine and empty water bottles you could fill daily as you headed out into the city! An extra plus was a nice lounge with 2 computer work stations with printers and a Keurig coffee maker- all included with your room price. Available 24/7. There was no restaurant but so many local places right next door and within a block for great local and inexpensive New York Fare. We were directly across the street from Rockefeller Center and about 7-8 blocks from Times Square - 1 block to 5th Avenue shopping and not far to Central Park. Of course- Subway Station at the corner 1/2 block away and on the same street as Radio City Music Hall. Anywhere you stay in Manhattan is going to cost a lot. It was quiet and we were not disturbed at all- our cot was not in our room on arrival; but they brought it immediately. The bed was a King and comfortable and we would definitely stay there again. There was a microwave, coffee pot, mini fridge, dining table and the bathroom was nice. It was small, but everything is in Manhattan. A definite great place to stay in The heart o NYC but away from the noise and chaos of Times Square! We walked to all of our Broadway Shows and a Taxi back one night in the rain was about $6.00. We love NYC and The Jewel and I know we will return again!! This is absolutely a great place to check check out while staying I the wonderoua City of NY!!

• Stayed September 2013