“"Jewel" of a weekend.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Middletown, Pennsylvania
“"Jewel" of a weekend.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

This past weekend we stayed at The Jewel. It was exceptional. The service & amenities were top notch. It was beyond what I expected. The Terrace Club dining next door was awesome. We have been to a number of hotels in NYC. This one is #1. I highly recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank garygreenbaypacker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Greek first
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

My husband and I are regular travelers to NYC. We planned a five day stay and wanted a great value hotel near Central Park with a small kitchen. We booked a room here and it did not disappoint. We don't need a lot of hand holding or direction so this place was perfect for us. We could check in and out via computer. There was a person in the lobby 24 hours per day, but it is not a heavily staffed, frilly place. If you are a savvy traveler who can find their way around this is the place for you. The kitchen was tiny but useful. The bed was comfortable. A nice bonus was the filtered water station on the second floor stocked with empty water bottles you could fill up on your own. The location is also nice, between 5th and 6th Avenues on 51st street. We also appreciated the daily maid service that was prompt and very good. We would definitely return here.

Room Tip: The second floor has a living room area with free coffee and filtered water and a television.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JIA-7
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I was in NYC for business again this past week and needed a convinet, clean and comfortable hotel. I checked into room 1202 with after notifying them that I would be running late. The room is the perfect size for one or two people with a queen size bed and all of the effeciant amnities I am used to at the Jewel. I had a view room which gave me a great view Radio City Music hall and a chance to people watch over looking the Club Quarters outdoor dining area. I could also see into Rockefella Plaza wich was nice.

The bathroom was HUGE and all of the amnities were stocked and ready. The bed was comfortable though I did find the pillows a bit stiff and I didn't remember that from before. The staff was friendly and helpful from check in to check out. They even arranged for a black car to drive to me Penn Station in the rain on a Friday during rush hour! A huge help.

I will be back for sure!

Room Tip: 1202 is a great corner room with floor to celing windows and a decent view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelGirlFromCT
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I have stayed in many hotels over my traveling experience. I did like the Jewel, but I was not thrilled with the price I paid for the room I got. Here are my Pros and Cons:

Pros:
* The location is great that is for sure. It is across the street from Rockefeller Center and very close to Radio City Music Hall and Times Square.
* Free (included in your hotel cost) wifi in your room and on the second floor computer centre.
* Cool fresh bottled water stations on each floor that you can take as you explore the city.
*Fairly quite hotel when it comes to sleeping.

Cons:
* The lobby is just weird. Not a big deal..... trying to act fashionable I think.
* Went in and out many times and not once did the person on the "front desk" say hi or even acknowledge me. Hotel business is the people business people.
* The rooms are small and even worse for my 360.00usd per night my view on the 3rd floor window was all of the air conditioners (room 303 is to be avoided). Of course the air conditioners ran all the time, but I got used to the noise and it was better then other NYC noises. I have to say that the room was clean, the bathroom used the space well and the shower was good. The bed mattress was very poor. Not a high quality comfortable sleep mattress. Felt more like a pull out mattress from a couch mattress ;(

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank mr_disney1964
Clemmons, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights and had 3 people- it is almost impossible to find a hotel room in Manhattan for more than 2 people. We had requested a room with a chair bed- but ended up with a cot instead, but our son was happy with that- the perks and location were great. Every Floor had a water Machine and empty water bottles you could fill daily as you headed out into the city! An extra plus was a nice lounge with 2 computer work stations with printers and a Keurig coffee maker- all included with your room price. Available 24/7. There was no restaurant but so many local places right next door and within a block for great local and inexpensive New York Fare. We were directly across the street from Rockefeller Center and about 7-8 blocks from Times Square - 1 block to 5th Avenue shopping and not far to Central Park. Of course- Subway Station at the corner 1/2 block away and on the same street as Radio City Music Hall. Anywhere you stay in Manhattan is going to cost a lot. It was quiet and we were not disturbed at all- our cot was not in our room on arrival; but they brought it immediately. The bed was a King and comfortable and we would definitely stay there again. There was a microwave, coffee pot, mini fridge, dining table and the bathroom was nice. It was small, but everything is in Manhattan. A definite great place to stay in The heart o NYC but away from the noise and chaos of Times Square! We walked to all of our Broadway Shows and a Taxi back one night in the rain was about $6.00. We love NYC and The Jewel and I know we will return again!! This is absolutely a great place to check check out while staying I the wonderoua City of NY!!

• Stayed September 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This is a beautiful little hotel. Nice staff, nice rooms. It was small, but pretty and comfortable. The location was great!!! Great dining and sites all around, close to the subway and the best shopping!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front, you can look out at the filming of the Today show.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Longview, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I switched hotels from the Crowne Plaza JFK to The Jewel due to location for my wedding. The staff was great and very helpful whenever we needed anything (ear buds, towels, etc). The room is small, our TV did not work (it did not have sound), there were about 15-20 fruit flies in our shower (I took the time to count them as I was drowning them), the bed is actually two twin beds pushed together so there is a very uncomfortable line down the middle for couples, there is no fridge, and it's incredibly loud outside at night. Since it was so close to the Rockefeller Center, it's understandable. My room at the Crowne Plaza was much nicer, but way too far away from the city. I don't quite understand why this hotel is rated so highly other than the convenient location.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple