“Location, location, location...!”

The Jewel facing Rockefeller Center
Ranked #99 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 16, 2011

What a great location! We faced Rockefeller Center and was a half block from Radio City and St Patrick's Cathedral. Times Square was about 8 blocks away.
We arrived at the Jewel and check-in only took minutes. The lobby is tiny and fills up with only a few people. Initially, I was disappointed in the room. It was very small (narrow). The foot of the bed was about 3 feet from the wall and my husband felt the bed was a bit short. The right side of the bed was about 2 feet from the closet. The bathroom was small. No tub. No conditioner for hair. I didn't bring mine because it is usually provided. Water, ice buckets and ice were all on the 5th floor. It took us a while to figure this out. Small, but do-able.
Front desk staff was always personable and helpful.
We did not notice the honking horns at night because we faced a side street vs 5th Ave.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dlf
There are newer reviews for The Jewel facing Rockefeller Center

Reviewed November 11, 2011

This is a really good option if you want something nice in a great location without paying the earth. Yes, the rooms are quite small but they are new and nicely decorated and don't have that 'tired' feeling about that them many other New York hotels of the same price bracket do.

One of the best things was the hotel's link with the Terrace Club next door. We wandered in for breakfast on the terrace every morning and it was never a problem to get a table. Service was good, prices fair - especially with the hotel discount - and no-one objected to how we were dressed, even though it says on the website that you have to wear 'business casual' attire. Though I can't vouch for whether that would be different at lunchtime or in the evening.

Free wi-fi was easy and worked, lounge on the 2nd floor looked great although we didn't spend any time there ourselves. All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay again in preference to other NY hotels I've used in the past. It's miles better, for example, than the Courtyard Marriott just off 5th Avenue.

On another note, we also went to E&E Grill House as it's No. 1 on Tripadvisor and had the best fillet steak we've ever eaten - highly recommended. Also don't miss the Boathouse in Central Park for lunch, this was my 3rd visit to NY and I'd never been before but it will be top of my list when I go back. What a fab place - but remember to book!

2  Thank TDMB
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We arrived at the hotel at around 1pm and was fortunate to check in straight away. My fiance requested a room with a good view as the trip was a surprise for my birthday, however we were shocked to discover that the only view we had was of an office block full of employees resulting in the curtains being constantly closed.Other things that bugged me a little was the lack of hangers in the wardrobe we had two each some of which were clothes store hangers that previous guests had left. The 'power' shower was not powerful at all in fact it was a chore to get in there and use it and the maid thought it was ok to enter the room before our check out time.

The room had air con which was an added bonus as it was surprisingly humid for the time of year. Another positive was the size of the room considering other people's reviews on the hotel. I found the bed very comfortable as well but I suppose that is personal preference. The lobby on level 2 was a nice addition we found it helpful using the net to research places to eat etc and having the opportunity to print off our boarding passes. It's also nice to be able to make a decent cup of coffee or tea from a proper machine.

All in all a good base you are after all in New York so why the hell would you want to stay in and analyse the cons of a hotel but i would definitely say that you are paying for location when it comes to The Jewel Hotel.

Room Tip: Aim high and straight for the sky.
1  Thank lawrj001
Reviewed November 7, 2011

we stayed at the Jewel in July 2011 what a great base for sight seeing across from the rockefella centre, walking distance to central park, time square the subway not far to go to statue of liberty ellis island. The rooms are small we had our teenage son travelling and he slept on a single sofa bed he is 6 foot and said it was fairly comfortable. The rooms are small but manageable. The staff were friendly and helful there is a laundry with washer and dryer only one so first in best dressed, I managed to wash a couple of loads on our 5 night stay. I loved New York and this location was so central to everything it was just fantastic

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank deb g
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I very disappointed over my stay at The Jewel. My husband and I arrived at around 11:00pm, having reserved a superior room. Upon entering the room we were hit by an overwhelming odor of cigarette smoke. The floor was labeled non-smoking, but everything in the room reeked of smoke, including the linens and towels. Room was small, with a queen bed but it was clean (except for the cigarette smoke).

I called the front desk and was informed that there were no available rooms to move to and were told that we could spend the night at the Sofitel (across town on West 44th St) and move back to The Jewel on Friday. My husband had a business meeting nearby early the next morning so we decided to stay put, rather than waste the time going across town and dealing with the logistics of getting back early for the meeting, checking out of the Sofitel and back in to The Jewel, etc.

While we were ultimately relocated the following day, all of our clothing and possessions smelled of cigarette smoke and we were offered no apology or regrets from management for our inconvenience.

I went to Terrace Room for breakfast on Thursday, and was shocked to find that the 'dining room' wasn't much more than a lounge area, packed with people waiting to grab a table. The breakfast buffet was mediocre, at best. I would describe the dining experience as similar to what you'd find at a Country Inn or Summerfield Suites, only not as organized and more crowded. We had booked a 'bed and breakfast' rate, but the breakfast voucher was for the meal only; you still have to pay tax and gratuity. I didn't understand why there was also a service charge on the bill but the server didn't speak English very well and just continued to say that tax and tip weren't included. Getting to the Terrace Room meant going outside on the street to the Guest Quarters, a couple of doors down.

Our experience was certainly not up to par with our expectations from the reviews we've read. The hotel is clean, modern and no frills and has a perfect location; however, while we expected low service, we were disappointed with the concept of no service.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank LindaMack9007
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed here on our first trip to NYC in summer 2011. It has a great location, only minutes from time square, broadway, the shopping on 5th avenue and central park, as well as being literally across the road from the Rockefeller Center. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and I couldnt fault the room. The free bottled water was a god send as we stayed during a heat wave.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael F
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We have just returned from our stay at the Jewel and it was brilliant. The location simply couldn't be better - within walking distance of all the major sights and great shops. We had a small double room, which was pretty cosy but did the job and we had so much to do in the city we didn't need any more space. Our room was on the second floor and on a busy-ish street, but even for a light sleeper there was barely any noise during the night which I was pleasantly surprised about. The computers on the second floor and free wifi was very useful, and the free bottled water and coffee machines just added to the great value. The staff were all lovely and answered all our questions. The room and whole hotel was spotless. It's easy to see why this hotel is rated so highly as it really was great.

2  Thank Amy W