“A gem of a hotel!”

The Jewel facing Rockefeller Center
Ranked #91 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 22, 2011

In the interest of full disclosure, I received a free night’s stay at The Jewel. However, even if I had had to pay for the room, I would still be raving about the hotel. Our room consisted of two twin beds and a kitchenette stocked with all the essentials. The room was extremely clean and very spacious, especially for a New York hotel room. When we arrived we had a note welcoming us and cookies and cashews waiting for us, which was a very nice touch. And maybe one of the coolest things about the hotel is that they have empty water bottles on each floor and cold, filtered water for you to fill up on your way out (or way back in). It was perfect and we filled up our bottles a few times.

Everyone at The Jewel very friendly and helpful. And if you want to go to the Top of the Rock, ask them for a coupon where you can receive $2 off of each ticket you purchase. (And by the way, Top of the Rock is totally worth it…awesome views!) We really enjoyed the location of the hotel, too. It’s soooo easy to go and see Matt and Al at the Today show. It’s kind of crazy to watch Today on TV, knowing they’re so close! It’s close to the subway, too, which was a big bonus for us.

We also ate at The Terrace Club, which is just a few doors down from The Jewel. You receive 20% off your check if you bill it to your room. We weren’t sure what to expect, but it was delicious. My friend had salmon that she said was cooked to perfection and I had a chicken Caesar salad that was very tasty. The calamari wasn’t the best we’d ever had, but it wasn’t horrible. And the tiramisu was absolutely delicious…we just wish there was more, it was that good! Oh, and they definitely know how to make a mean long island there. ;)

In short, we would definitely stay at The Jewel again and can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank shaecoff
Write a ReviewReviews (1,954)

Reviewed April 20, 2011

My daughter and I stayed here because it was conveniently located near Radio City Music Hall, as we were seeing a late concert (Bright Eyes -- Awesome). This was a great hotel. My tween daughter and I had a blast. We really liked the hotel -- exceeded all expectation. The service; cleanliness; and people. The front desk staff (wish I wrote down their names) were very helpful and very friendly. Would recommend....

• Stayed: March 2011
2  Thank GladT0BeHere
Reviewed April 18, 2011

This was a great hotel. I took my daughter to NYC for her spring break and we had a blast, she really liked the hotel. The people at the front desk were very helpful and very friendly. We walked a lot and so the location of the hotel was pretty much perfect for what we were doing. It was about 10 minutes to Times Square and about 15 to 20 to Central Park.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank EdithO
Reviewed April 18, 2011

Stayed here with my wife for a few days. We loved the hotel. Room was clean, service excellent, location was close to everything, times square , rockefeller, central park. It's gonna be our preferred place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Ysonbol
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Based largely on TA reviews, my wife and I stayed three nights last week at The Jewel and could not have been happier that we did. As the full name suggests, the hotel is across the street from Rockefeller Center on W 51st just west of 5th Ave, which is a perfect location for a base to explore Manhattan.

Our “single/small double” was modern, well designed and equipped with a very comfortable queen bed. The desk had lots of room to charge our camera batteries and use our laptop to review photos and, of course, check the TA reviews to choose restaurants. When I booked the room, the price seemed too good to be true, but the final bill was exactly as quoted and we both felt extremely reasonable for such a great hotel in a prime location.

Every guest services staff member was always pleasant, helpful, and available to answer questions, provide extra services such as storing our bags before check-in and after check-out times, and arrange transportation to the airport.

Without qualification I highly recommend The Jewel. We will certainly stay there whenever we go to Manhattan. The entire experience was outstanding.

Room Tip: Near great restaurants, museums, the Park, etc.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Clompy
Reviewed April 11, 2011

My partner and I recently stayed at The Jewel Facing Rockefeller Plaza for a 3-night Broadway-bound trip. We couldn't have been happier. The location is fantastic, just across from Rockefeller Plaza, a short walk to the subway, and in the middle of everything. We booked the hotel through their website and received their introductory rate. The rooms are contemporary, well designed, and clean. Complementary items such as filtered water, coffee, and wi-fi were appreciated. We stayed on the 2nd floor, just off of the "living room" and found the rooms to be generally quiet (with exception of the hustle and bustle of the city outside).

The staff was friendly and helpful and both check-in and check-out went smoothly.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheRana
Reviewed April 7, 2011

I couldn't have been more pleased with my stay at the Jewel. Great location near Rockefeller Center and walking distance to most of the tourist destinations (also near subway stops). The staff were pleasant, and the rooms were clean.

The layout of the room was very well planned. Although it was a fairly small space, the way the space was utilized made it feel open and roomy. I appreciated the abundance of outlets in all the right spaces, and the ipod dock, too. The mini library in the room was a warm gesture (a dictionary, and a couple of city guide books). Noise level was surprisingly quiet for the location.

I ordered room service from the Terrace Club, and it was delivered promptly within 20 min. The food was good, but I wouldn't say it was befitting of the price I paid for it. If you opt for room service, I'd advise not to order a drink with your meal, visit the vending machine on the 5th floor instead, where you can buy three 20 oz sodas for same price as one 10 oz bottle delivered with your meal.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business