“Grayline Hop-on Hop-off Tours”

City Sightseeing New York
The New York Sightseeing Pass
Ranked #146 of 649 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Enjoy the best of the Big Apple using a single convenient ticket! Sit back and relax while our knowledgeable tour guides describe the history and background of New York City. This is an opportunity to immerse yourself in full New York City experience, all from the comfort of a double-decker bus. Plus, with unlimited hop-on hop-off access you can take your time exploring as many of the neighborhoods and sites as you’d like!
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We were well advised to purchase tickets for these tours so we bought the 72 hour pass. We managed to do the Uptown, Downtown and Brooklyn loops and whilst interesting I found the actual bus left a lot to be desired. Firstly we were travelling 3 weeks before Christmas and with outside temperatures reaching -3°C in the daytime, there was NO heating whatsoever. Seating downstairs is available but you can't see anything because the windows are dark and photography is impossible. Windows were really dirty so photography from the top deck was bad unless you were sitting out in the open but because of the extreme cold, you wouldn't last long in that position. Each tour takes approximately 2 hours so if you want to hop off somewhere and look around you can but don't expect to be able to do more than one tour per day comfortably (daylight hours are very short). Friendly enough staff and a special mention to Dennis and Jose who gave us the Brooklyn tour which was excellent.
If Grayline could provide heating and wash the windows DAILY, these trips would be value. Otherwise a trip in winter becomes a concentration in keeping warm instead of sightseeing and nothing in the way of photos to show for it.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,915)
All reviews
in 29 reviews
"uptown"
in 313 reviews

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Don't believe the "Buses come every 15-20 minutes" story. I had the NYC Explorer three attraction pass. We did the Statue of Liberty Boat Tour, the NBC Studio Tour and this hot mess. When we walked into the Times Square area to get the Uptown Hop On Hop off tour passes, we passed several pushy salesmen for this same tour on the street. They were touting "HOP ON HOP OFF EVERY 15 minutes." We were directed to the Planet Hollywood Location. When we got there the tour customer service agents told is that we had to schlep back 4 blocks to the Madame Tussauds location to redeem our Explorer Pass option. Finally after we got to the proper location, we got our "tickets" and were told where we could board the "double deck" tour buses. My husband wanted to see the Ed Sullivan Theater first which was a 10 block walk away. The Customer service agent pointed out the stop nearby that theatre where we could board. Fine. So we walked to the theater, took a few snapshots and headed over to the aforementioned stop. There were already a small group assembling, so we thought, cool, the bus should be here any minute. So after 15 minutes, no bus. Now it was almost 4PM and very cold. No bus. Even though this was a hop on hop off tour, we knew we got there too late in the day to take advantage, however, we still expected to be able to board the tour. Now after 30 minutes (no bus) there was a large group assembling, 3-4 buses passed right by us and didn't even stop. We found out later because they were too full. I called the hotline and asked what was going on. The agent said that the uptown tour stops every 30-40 minutes. 30-40 minutes! That was NOT what we were told. The phone agent told us that the street salesmen lie to us to get the sales and that the buses never come every 15-20 minutes, that would be impossible. An agent finally showed up at our group and by 4:30 a bus finally came to pick is up out of the freezing cold. We were directed upstairs to the outside seats under a scratched plexiglass dome. These are NOT DOUBLE DECKER BUSES. There is no lower deck for patrons. There are no inside seats and THE BUS HAD NO HEAT. The tour give you nasty cheap used headphones to plug into a feedback plagued system. The the Russian tour guide in his very thick broken English accent proceded to mumble his way through some sort of entertainment. We figured out that the lower part of the bus is probably some sort of apartment for the tour operators. YUCK! He was trying to point out attractions that you couldn't even see because the dome was so scratched. Forget taking pictures. My husband was freezing to death and was furious. We endured this hell until we got to the first stop on the lower east side. Hoped off and hopped on a heated, clear windowed NYC metro bus for $2.50 each using our metro card. Dont bother with this tour, it is a totally completely money draining scam. I posted the website of this tour so you AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS. And please, dont take little kids on this bus. Thats just mean.

5  Thank finerflower
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We like to make a point of taking a hop on hop off tour on any trip to get our bearings in the city and get an idea of where else we might like to visit. The standard is always pretty high especially when the guide and driver work for tips. The same goes for the New York tour- it covers a good portion of the sights you might want to see including a drop off at the Ferry terminal where you can take advantage of the free Staten Island ferry to get a better look at the Statue of Liberty. I didn't come across and stand up comedian tour guides as we have done in the past but they were friendly and knowledgeable. The tickets are pretty decently priced and it is worth it to pick up the full package for $10 extra. Tickets are easily purchased from any of the street sellers in red waving their pamphlets at you.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I would not recommend this trip if you either want to visit different parts of the city, or if you want to use the bus as transportation. The guides are hit-or-miss. The first guide we had was tolerable and somewhat informative. The second guide was a joke. He was not from our country and did not know very much about the city, and was difficult to understand. For the price, you would be better off getting taxis to where you want to go. If you really want to see different parts of the city and learn about the city, take the Real New York Tours, walking tour. We did that on the second day and enjoyed it much better than the bus tour. For the price, the bus tour is a rip off.

1  Thank Edwin E
See more reviews
Reviewed December 9, 2013

My husband & I bought two day NY Passes with the hop on hop off added to it. The NY pass was good- we went to many attractions and go more than our monies worth. I ordered it a few weeks before we went and paid $8.00 extra for shipping to our house. I thought it would save time, as we were arriving in town early morning and wanted to start using it right away instead of having to use the time to pick it up. When it arrived in the mail- the NY passes were there but not the bus passes. When I called, they informed me, they are a separate item and we have to pick them up (at Madame Tussands) so I wasted time and $8.00 and they push for you to spend another $50.00 for VIP line cutting. It is difficult to determine where to find the buses. We wasted a lot of time either looking for a stop or waiting for a bus. They were crowded. The tours were ok(we did a day time one and the night tour) the one driver was not very professional-he kept saying oh,wait a minute and forgetting what he was saying. They do ask for tips quite often. The night tour was good and we enjoyed it.Overall I think we would do it again, but I wish they would improve the company and take peoples suggestions.The NY Pass was worth the money,there is a list online of the attractions that it covers, so I was able to plan both days we were there. We saw more than we probably would have without the passes. I loved the idea that I knew ahead of time all the info for where we were going to go including times and addresses.It kept us moving all day.