“I have a new favorite pizza place”
Review of Capizzi

Capizzi
Ranked #271 of 14,530 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Old Fashioned Wood Burning Brick Oven Serving Beer & Wine
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Almost makes me wish I lived in the NYC area so I could come here more often. The other reviews are mostly spot on. I had combination pizza #1 with pepperoni, portobello mushrooms, and onions. Quite possibly the best pizza I've ever had. The fresh and (apparently) real mozzerella cheese was excellent. The sauce was just right in flavor and quantity - I don't like an overwhelming amount of sauce. The only critique I have of it is that there was a little too much moisture from the onions that made the crust get just a little soggy. Next time I'll try the sausage and peppers. My bill came to about $21 after tax but before the tip (I only had lemonade with it). Considering I ate a whole pizza (I didn't intend to but it was that good) which was large enough to split, I was really surprised to get that kind of a price in Manhattan.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,499)

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Our experience started with our waiter Lorenzo. He was fantastic!! Very friendly and attentive!! We started with the appetizer special of imported mozzeralla/prosciutto/artichokes/roasted red peppers and tomatoes...(the best mozzerella we've ever had)! Then we had the smoked prosciutto/arugula/mozzerella wood burning oven pizza...delish! Our meal ended with the best cannoli and epresso! You can tell everything was fresh and homemade!! We cannot wait to go back!!!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

First the easy stuff. Capizzi is directly behind the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Just on the other side of the street. I wish I knew that ahead of time to save us a bunch of walking around to find the place.

So what's this little part of Italy doing in this area of wino's and guys peeing in the street? Who knows? Who cares? The food here is fantastic. The menu is mainly salads and pizzas and oh those pizza's. Ours was fantastic. Just a seemingly plain pepperoni, portobello mushroom and onion one. It tasted light years beyond the typical pepperoni pizza. As a matter of fact the pieces of pepperoni's (about 1/4" thick each) tasted more like really high quality chorizo sausage. Add those to the other ingredients and "that's a one fine pie". Seriously… this is a great find, especially if you're around Times Square and you don't want junk food or don't want to get ripped on price. We also had some home made sangria and a goat cheese arugula salad with a bunch of other stuff on the salad that I forget what they were. Suffice to say, both the salad and sangria were perfect compliments to the pizza. Enjoy.

1  Thank rosco1e
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Nice place, very good pizza... Very good mozzarella... congrats to the chef... I felt for a moment like being in my country...
Something to say: I don't know his name, he often works at lunch time... Oh my God! What a sad, grumpy, unhappy service I have got every time he has served me..!
all the times I pass by capizzi and I see him , I lose my desire of pizza!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had somewhat high expectations going into Capizzi after reading the reviews here on TripAdvisor. The location (close to my hotel), the interior, and especially the pizza definitely did not disappoint! It's real, authentic wood-fired Italian pizza with superb ingredients that allow for an amazing taste. Why not 5 stars? The prices are a little high for what you get because all the pizzas are made as a personal 12" size.