“Only ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Capizzi

Capizzi
Ranked #82 of 13,548 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: old fashioned wood burning brick oven serving beer & wine
Trenton, New Jersey
“Only ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I suspect a lot of the reviews here are by tourists. Took a colleague here for lunch based on the strength of the reviews - we work not far away - and while the fennel and orange salad was delicious, the pizza was average. Just because it doesn't look like Domino's doesn't mean it's anything to write home about, folks. The ingredients are fine and the mozzarella is fresh, but the sauce is runny (and rather tasteless) and and the crust doesn't stay very crisp as a result.

Do yourselves a favor, get a good street map, take the subway down to lower Manhattan and have pizza at Adrienne's on Stone St. You'll see what I mean. Well worth the trip.

• Visited February 2013
capizzipizza, Manager at Capizzi, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for your honest review. I just want to take a moment to respond to you with regards to our sauce. Our sauce is made from only crushed San Marzano tomatoes with a little sea salt, extra virgin olive oil & some fresh ground black pepper. We do not use tomatoe paste, any garlic powder or dehydrated spices ect. We are not trying to over spice it or cover up the fresh taste or the tomatoes. Our pholisopy is a pure approach of high quality fresh ingrediants, lightly seasoned with only fresh herbs & spices. It is not for everyone.
There are many different styles of pizza and in my opinion most of them are good. I know that not everyone appreciates our style, but many do. Our customers/ reviewers are made up of people from all walks of life with a majority of them being native New Yorkers. To suggest that they just dont know any better is un fair.
Again thank you for your opion if there is anything I can do please let me know.
Joseph Calcagno
Owner/operator
Capizzi

• Korean first
  • Polish first
“Greatness overload”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

One of the best pizzas we ever had and a great service. You should really go here! If you close your eyes you really feel like you're in Italy!

San Francisco, California
“Best pizza ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Ate here twice as it is right around the corner from our hotel. Very small, very Italian with a wood burning pizza oven. The pizza was perfect - tasted just like in Rome, with fresh mozzarella and thin crust. The caprese was great the the sangria was wonderful. Would eat here every chance I get.

Visited February 2013
Willingboro, New Jersey
“It was excellent and a must go!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I visited this little hidden gem when a coworker told me about it. My husband loves pizza so I was excited for him to give this "homemade" pizza from NY a try! The place is hidden behind the port authority in the residential neighborhood but that added to the romantic appeal of it. It's quaint, the servers were very nice and the food was delicious! We can't stop telling others about how great the pizza was and we plan to make that our first stop every time we visit the city!

• Visited January 2013
“Enjoyed it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Good restaurant, not to fancy, nice atmosphere. Menu not to extensive but enough. Taramisu is excellent