“Pizza by Port Authority”
Review of Capizzi

Capizzi
Ranked #110 of 13,619 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: old fashioned wood burning brick oven serving beer & wine
Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey
“Pizza by Port Authority”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The Village Voice ranked this the Number One pizzeria in New York City and rightly so. The pizzas are excellent. All the toppings are either homemade (like the cheeses) or locally sorced (such as the sausage from Brooklyn). The pizzas are light as a feather and the sauce and fresh mozzerella put a damper on what most people consider pizza. The service is Excellent. The Chef owner comes to the table to talk to you before and after the meal and I enjoyed his visits to the table where he explained his cooking and career. To all the people from New Jersey who run through the Port Authority Bus Terminal, do yourselves a favor. Take an extra hour and run out the back door to Capizzi, which is right across the street. Better yet, bring a pie home and make your spouse happy. Even reheated I am sure this pizza is better than your local neighborhood joint.

• Visited December 2012

• Korean first
  • Polish first
York
“Best pizza in ny”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have try differents places for pizza in new york and i think thats is number one pizza place.Great music also and friendly stuff.I

Lakewood, CA
“Good Pizza in a Cute Little Restaurant”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Capizzi is a nice little restaurant on 9th across from the back side of the Port Authority building. The 1950's style refrigerator, used for holding cold drinks, and TV were very cute. This restaurant had the best music I've ever heard in a restaurant, very eclectic.

I went twice tried two different pizzas, the Asparagus Special and the Loaded with peperoni, sausage, onion, and red peppers. Their pizza was quickly cooked in a wood fireplace oven that can be seen in the back of the restaurant. Both pizzas were good but because of all of the ingredients the Loaded one was soggy in the middle.

I also had two appetizers, the Caprese was wonderful and the Spinach Rice Balls were good (they ran out the first night).

For dessert I tried Pannacotta for the first time, it was like a firmer flan, which I liked. Their Sangria was good too, no extra fruit to make it too fruity.

The Server had limited knowledge of their menu but the Manager was by the table many times to follow up. This restaurant was very pleasant.

Orlando, Florida
“Excellent Experience”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I traveled to NYC in January 2013; we were told by the concierge at the hotel that if we wanted to have a real good dinning NY experience we must go to Capizzi. She said it was her favorite and that it was a sit down, not a grab and go place. We are so happy that we decided to go there, from the moment you walk in, you can tell that there is history behind this place. They have all sorts of decorations for years ago and it just transports you to Italy, the staff, obviously speaks Italian among themselves; which is so cool! And the food is great. Our server, Andrea, was so so helpful, he went over the menu and explained everything and made recommendations, he paired our pizza with wine (which my husband loved). We could see the chef cooking in the back next to the brick oven, it was great. When I asked if I was allowed to take pictures of the restaurant, I was told of course, and that Andrea would take the picture for us. He gave us chef hats and fake pizza dough and brought us back to where the oven was to take the picture. It was a remarkable experience. The service and the food are phenomenal and we will definitively come back to see them!!!!!

Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Great Pizza”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We went to this restaurant as it was just round the corner from our hotel. It was a Friday night and was busy but we were lucky to get a table as it is only a small place.
Service was prompt and friendly. We shared a selection of anti pasti for a starter and it was huge! So much so that we couldn't eat all our pizza but they were happy to box it up for us so we could take it away.
Really enjoyed our evening here.

Visited January 2013