“Where you can actually have a conversation!”
Review of Burp Castle

Burp Castle
Reviewed September 25, 2012

To the 1, 2 or 3 stars, WHY??? Are you made you got shhh'd or because you cannot go to a bar and act like a monkey let out of the cage? Personally this type of place is needed more often instead of all the est. where you cannot hear your friend sitting right next to you.

We didn't stay very long because lets me honest, we're in NYC on vacation and there are just far too many bars to sit at one for too long. But I would love to come back here because the ability to be able to hear your friends is so nice. The beer selection was also pretty good and the bartenders were also very friendly.

My only complaint is the seating is a bit uncomfortable but after a few beers I don't really care where I am sitting anymore.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

My friend and I were meeting another friend for a drink on our holiday. It was our first night so he told us where to meet him. First impressions we thought amazing cool little pub, in the heart of East Village. The choice of drink isn't your usual for a bar, consisting of wine, beer & cider (or tap water) but none the less we were out to have a good night. Soon after the alcohol was flowing, our conversation got louder & so did our laughter. With this we actually got told to "ssssshhhhh"!!! and not only on just one occasion! What sort of bar do you get told to be quiet in?! Perhaps the barmaid wasn't having a good day? Not long after this we took off, so we could actually enjoy our night as ADULTS and not be told to shut up! I do think it is a shame because it could have full potential to be a great, buzzing bar.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Stopped here during a weekend visit to NYC last September. There were, indeed, Gregorian chants, monastic murals, and delicious beers. The bartender will shush the crowd when chatter gets loud (because loudness is irreverent in a place held sacred by beer worshipers). You'll constantly feel like you're being scolded. But, that's the fun of it, right? It's a quirky spot to get a few beers.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

the burp castle was always one of my favorite places to take people in nyc, that is until this past spring. i showed up with a friend after a long day of hanging out in the village. the woman behind the bar wouldn't come to our table, even though there wasn't anybody else in the bar. no big deal, so i went up to the bar and asked for the beer list. she said the "beer guy" wasn't in so there was no point in me looking at a list! then she said "and just so you know, we don't carry budweiser!" seriously? so i order two glasses of wine. she pours and leaves them on the counter for me to come get. next scene, a couple friends and a toddler show up (hers i assume). let's just say there was no "shushing". the kid was everywhere and all they did was talk among themselves about how fabulous he was. another lost sole showed up after we did and went through the same thing. i almost grabbed her arm on the way out the door and said"come with me! run far, far away!" never again...so sad!

See more reviews
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I like the idea of this place. The idea is that it's a church for beer. You're supposed to whisper, and supposedly the bartenders are dressed in monk's robes. I don't know if it was the night I went or if this is all just a rumor, but none of this happened. The bartender was dressed in normal clothes, she got our drink orders wrong twice because she was too busy chatting to one of her friends at the bar, and the shooshing was done to a point that was getting quite obnoxious. Their selection of beer is not large but it's of definite quality. I think if you went there earlier in the evening, this would be an awesome place to go to or maybe we just went on a bad day. It has the potential to be quiet and relaxing and it has a great selection of Belgian beer.