“Food not bad”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: please can you add next to Italian 2 more category and it will be Cocktail Bar and Vegetarian Options. thank you very much
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I couldn't get over being sat at a table right next to where they put the dirty dishes. All I could smell was bleach which drove me nuts. Food was good but I was happy to leave. Service was unexceptional.

1  Thank torontobelly
There are newer reviews for Mercato

Reviewed January 27, 2013

The restaurant is very small but the food is very good! I visited this past weekend and it was very affordable. The pasta with seafood was fabulous!

1  Thank cm1242
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was in NYC over the weekend. We ate at Mercato and it was by far the best Italian food I have ever eaten out. My Grandmother came to the US from Italy in 1939. Her cooking was the best and I am hard to please. The food at Mercato was incredible! I can not wait to go back!!

1  Thank Joanne T
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We would definitely go again next time in NY. The food was good and we liked the unfussy, basic brick and wood rustic decor. It's unpretentious and good for a mid value meal out and we enjoyed each course. The food is pretty authentic and the waiters knowledgeable. The best thing was the lively, buzzy atmosphere. We reckon if a place is full on a mid week night, it's a good sign. So I would recommend you book in advance. It's not a place for a special occasion more a good mid week place.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were staying at the Element Hotel in the same street. We had been out all day and decided to order delivery. After collecting the meals from the delivery man in the foyer we opened up the meals immediately in our room. My husband's meal of Linguine Al Fruitti was plentiful and hot. My meal of Fettuccine Al Funghi didn't even cover the base of the aluminium container and was a third of the size, plus it was nearly cold. My husband rang immediately and we spoke with a man who checked with the chef and their attitude was extremely rude. They said the portions are pre-set and if you want a big plate of pasta go up the road and pay $25. They would not do anything about it. I was prepared to take the meal back myself but was so horrified by the treatment we had received (and paid a tip as well - ridiculous!) that I was so disgusted with them that I didn't even want to set foot in the restaurant. I am a very small eater and a tiny lady, my meal was finished in 6 mouthfuls! Not quite a main meal would you say?! I would never, ever recommend this restaurant to anyone - their attitude and food is appalling!

5  Thank wendy b