“Great Location”

Metro Apartments
Riverdale, MD
“Great Location”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed in the hotel for 3 nights for the PhotoPlus Expo. The hotel was in a great location. Short walk to Time Square! 24 hour parking garage was with a 2 minute walk at $35 for 24 hours, a bit expensive but area was well lit and staff on site 24 hours day. Room was small but clean. Room had a kitchenette which was supplied with toaster, coffee pot, microwave, a few dishes, pots and pans and fridge. Decor was updated and trendy. The hotel staff was friendly and cleaning crew was helpful. The two draw backs were the load construction outside the room and groups of teenagers hanging outside during the evenings. I would stay again. The hotel did not offer a view except for other buildings but some rooms do have balconies and large windows that open.

At the corner you can find a CVS pharmacy and Subway. Across the street and to the next light you can find a diner, cafe and entertainment.

Another benefit I found was that it was located with a couple of blocks from the tunnel which means less driving through the city to get in and out.

Other room highlights: Large closet, carpet, nice shower head.

Room Tip: Try to stay on a higher floor to avoid some of the people noise outside.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Surmanator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed here twice last week after making a reservation through booking.com. I would have cancelled the second stay. However I had made a non-refundable booking and therefore this was not possible.

Although I hated this place, let me attempt to write an unbiased review. Let me begin with the positives. Conveniently located. Penn Station, Port Authority, Times Square and lots of other touristy places are within walking distance. There is a 7 Eleven and a CVS within walking distance. The room has a small LCD TV. However hard I try, I really cant think of any more positives.

Things I didnt like- (i) absolutely no service; (ii) no breakfast (despite paying USD 250 per night; (iii) rude/ indifferent staff; (iv) average room; (v) noisy room; and (vi) bad neighborhood.

Let me explain in a bit more detail. We arrived at 2.30 PM. While the check in time was 3 PM, we requested for an early check in. We were informed that there was no availability and were asked to wait. They actually made us wait till 3.15 pm. Given that the check-out time is 11 AM and given that they are strict about it, I find making guests wait for check-in after 3 PM (even for 5 or 10 minutes) absolutely unacceptable. When we checked in, the bathroom wasnt cleaned. This has to be the craziest thing I ever saw in a hotel. We were agitated and immediately made a request for it to be cleaned before stepping out for sight seeing. The staff at the reception were apologetic and promised to have it cleaned before we were back from sight seeing. But when we returned, we were shocked to find out that the bathroom had not been cleaned. I had to make another request at the reception after which they sent housekeeping staff to our room. And they still didnt manage to do a very good job of cleaning. The housekeeping lady informed me that she didnt have the required equipment right then.

The front desk staff behave as if they are doing the guests a favour by letting them stay here. I almost felt grateful!!

Although Times Square is 3 to 4 mins walking from Times Square, the neighbourhood appears to be full of homeless people and looked unsafe. If you are coming post 10 PM I recommend getting dropped right at the entrance in a cab (even if you are coming from Times Square). However, if you are looking for excitement, then ignore my advice. :)

This is the noisiest room I have ever been in. If you are a light sleeper, you need to opt for the non road facing rooms to even have a shot at sleep.

The room is very basic but has some sort of smell which I didnt like. But then, it may just be me.

I typically like to stay at nice places and dont spending that extra buck. This time we thought of looking at cheaper options as we expected to be outside the hotel through the day. My experience with this place has re-affirmed my belief that it is better to pay and stay at nice tried and tested places than take risks like this which can put you in a foul mood and potentially ruin your holiday.

Bottomline- Even for the adventurous, dont event think about this place if it is costing you more than 125 USD.

Room Tip: Non road facing rooms please!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sriramkkr

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Naples, Florida
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed here for a short stay and loved its location to the theater district and Times Square. Our room was a decent size and clean, with a kitchenette. No frills, but clean. We overlooked the bus ramps for the Port Authority Bus terminal and were entertained by watching the sheer number of buses passing by. Close to Hells Kitchen and a wonderful selection of restaurants. Very convenient to the Javitts center. Worth a repeat.

Room Tip: Ask for room 7g or similar, as it is less noisy and is off street
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The room was very big and confortable although the view of our room, on the third floor, was not so nice, but it did not matter. The street is kind of ugly, but the location is excellent. The hotel was full but we did not hear any noise from the other rooms. Despite the heavy traffic nearby we had a great sleep. We turned the air conditioning on and didn't hear any noise from the streets.
The whole hotel has a nice smell. Staff is pleasant. I will recomend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
PA
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

So, this place has been on my radar for awhile. While browsing travel sites I was always intrigued by the fact that all Metro rooms offer a balcony. So I found a pretty decent price here 3 months prior to my September stay, prepaid, and went for it.

Check in was simple enough, staff was pleasant. Checked into out efficiency, studio-type of room and was pleased enough. I don't require a fancy room and this wasn't. But it was clean and pretty big by NYC standards. Now, on to the balcony. Not exactly what I expected. We were directly above/beside the bus station. Busses traveling by constantly. Also, this spot seemed to be a major hub for the city's pigeon population. I have never seen so many pigeons in one place, all around the bus ramps and all over the adjacent building. Dingy sad balcony, but still, not a huge deal for me. I stayed on a Friday in September for under $200, so whatever....
Now for the major negatives. 8am Saturday morning, a solid hour of jackhammering on the bridge right outside our window. Not a fun way to wake up.
And worse, a week after my stay, I noticed that the hotel had charged my credit card $57. Upon calling, I was notified by the manager that I had lost my room key. I returned the key to the front desk when I checked out. I was informed that they couldn't refund my money as the key was lost. Knowing this was complete [--], I notified my credit card company and protested the charge. It was refunded 24 hours later. I'd like to think it was an honest mistake on their part, but it smelled like a scam to me.

In closing, room was clean, balcony useless, get a written receipt when you return your key. I wouldn't recommend this place.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FritzNipple
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed with my family during september. Purchased from booking.com, I must admit I read some reviews and had prepared myself for the worst, to my surprise the apartment was beautiful! The room was very modern and attractive, we felt very comfortable and would stay here again :) Yes you can hear traffic.. you can also hear the traffic at the top of the empire state building so expect the same noises everywhere! We had a great sleep, we also received great service from Nate who was very friendly and helpful. The location was easy to walk to times square. There is a pizza place on the corner that offers a huge slice for 99 cents and other cheap deals. This hotel looks better on the inside! When you walk to times square you will be hustled to buy the hop on tours, I bought this but only used it on one occasion because I couldnt locate the bus stops, I ended up catching a taxi to statue of liberty which was $12 and we walked from there to 911 memorial and the bull statue we also explored a cathedral, it was a great day and I wish I hadnt purchased the tour because it wasnt necessary. Anyway the hotel was great, will recommend to others :)

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Funmummy4
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Glenn is one of the best hotel managers that met. Renovated rooms are ok size, but the good thing is having a full kitchen available for mid night snacks and or breakfast in the room, take out food also.
Location is great, near almost everything and ground transportation to everywhere!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo