“Great for families”
Review of Metro Apartments

Metro Apartments
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We used Metro Apartments as a base to explore Manhattan with our three school-age kids over spring break in March 2013. The property was clean, spacious and a great value considering what hotels cost in the vicinity. We were about an 8-10 minute walk from Times Square, and a similar walk in the opposite direction to the Circle Line Harbor tour. We had a small balcony with a view of the city. We used the small kitchenette to eat breakfast each day. Coffee and tea was prepared each morning in the lobby and the staff were helpful. We flew in and out of Newark-Liberty. I'd recommend using the Newark shuttle that lets off and picks up at the Port Authority bulding as it is a short 2-3 block walk from the Metro Apartments: no need to take a taxi and cheaper. You could pay more to stay closer to Times Square or to receive hotel-like daily service, but the Metro Apartments was perfect for our family and exceeded our expectations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the north side of the building if you'd like a view of the city.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Chilangodave
Christin B, Manager at Metro Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Good Day,

Thank you for the review.

I am glad you and your family were able to enjoy your stay here as well as Manhattan.

We love to here we have "exceeded your expectations"!

Please come and visit us again!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

On the 9th of february me and my friend arrived in NYC(first time for me) and we agreed to stay in the Metro Apartments, while we were doing our work placements.
When we got back from the airport , the bus driver told us to be very careful at the area we stayed in , and of course it gave me a little fright especially for the first timer, we got in at the reception and we got told that we can get in our rooms at 3 pm, and we decided to go for a walk, while we were out we did not have to worry about our bags, they were safely kept in to a room for us, which made it so much easier.

When we got back, we were so cold because it was quite a chilli day outside and the only thing we wanted was a hot shower and bed, and we were happy to get our keys for the room , In my mind there was fear of what the room would look like, especially reading other peoples comments previously , but I was happily surprised , the room was big, clean, neat and tidy.

We unpacked our bags that night , there was so much space, we were so happy to have our kitchen where we could cook, the shower room was clean and the water was warm at all times.

During the 8 days I stayed there, there was no disappoitment in anything , and I never felt I was unsafe staying there, I am gladly to recommend this place to anyone who is looking for reasonable price to pay while staying in New York,
still reliving the good memories of the NYC, Hope to go back some day.

P.S. and the view from the balcony, aghh , made my mornings!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Annija E
Christin B, Manager at Metro Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Good Day Annija,

We are greatly humbled by your polite words. We are constantly working on improving the entire guest experience and pleased to see that it is working.

We do understand some of the preconceived thoughts that the area is unsafe, as you have found this is not 100% correct. We have begun to address some of these thoughts; it is a work in progress.

I am also glad to see that the revision of the cleaning is working and you were able to relax and enjoy yourself!

Please be sure to come and visit us again!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

And staying at Metro Apartments I thankfully gained one, not permanently though, mind you.

My Sister and I travel America, maybe once a year. On a limited budget we usually stay in a average cheap hotel. In 2011 we travelled America for a month and trying to save money to eat we only stayed at Motel 6 apartments. This year we stayed in America for two weeks so we upped the ante a little on our accomodation budget.

We'd travelled Boston, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Maryland before reaching New York City.

Upon arriving at Metro Apartments, we drove right through Times Square, the apartments are located maybe 5 minutes walk from Times Square, a few Subways and so many buses you could steal a few and drive them right into Hudson river before anyone would notice. During our stay at Metro Apartments I really wish someone had stolen a few buses, it would have made our sleep just a little bit more peaceful.

The location is insane, just perfect minus being slap bang in port authority terminals. During your stay you might as well sleep with the windows open. It's noisey. Hella noisey. I've lived on a main busy road before but this was like sleeping in a 24 hour noise circus featuring the cast, Mr Bus, Mr angry taxi driver and the lion; the early morning construction workers.

The staff are fairly redunant in this building, you check in and never have many dealings with them until you check out. The staff might be hiding the fact they've got bad dental work 'cause I never saw a smile but regardless who wants to be greeted every morning/night with a hello? Screw that, I'm English! I'd rather not speak to anyone until I've had my vanilla latte.

The reception is delightful, the lifts are equally as joyful and the whole area is super clean. The apartments could easily be your own studio in New York, you're got a small hall, bathroom, closet and bedroom/kitchen area.

This well could be my own studio apartment 'cause the heating block is hanging off the wall, the place smells of paint and the sink fills up with other peoples dirty water. FINALLY I GET MY OWN BEARD! The dude upstairs obviously doesn't realise beards are a winter essential and totally in vogue and has shaved it off, for us to receive like a little love note every morning in our sink from his sink.

I'm just totally English and created to moan about everything but this place is value for money, kinda kitsch and actually not that bad.

It DOES smell like paint, have a heating block falling off the wall AND you will gain a bearded sink but you're in New York City, who doesn't have this? If you can afford to stay in Waldorf Astoria, stop reading this and go lounge in your hotel robe.

If you're on a budget, want to feel like you actually live in NYC then come here. I actually loved it, to be honest.

It is noisey, really noisey and please for the love of whomever DO NOT use the hairdryer. I say this because our hair dryer was found in the bottom cupboard of beard sink, getting it's very own bearded water dripped on it's plug.

Oh and you'll be pleased to know, the cleaning charge has been removed. Smashing.

Room Tip: Avoid the hairdryer.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Kateofthedead
Christin B, Manager at Metro Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Good Day Kateofthedead,

I am glad to see that you travelled to NYC and enjoyed yourself and looked on some of the mishaps to be an experience and did not let it affect you.

I am looking at your over all evaluation of the property and I am pleased to see that you received value for money, you enjoyed the room and location. I will say that we are working on a room improvement scheme which will permit us to increase guest rating on the cleanliness and service. We are thinking of ways to combat the sleep quality.

Thank you for choosing Metro Apartments.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Well - mixed feelings is the right phrase to use when describing my feelings about this property. It is relatively cheap - at least according to New York standards. Yet you will be charged a cleaning fee of 60USD - and if you stay for short time this will bump up the price a lot.. Reception - nice! Everyone is friendly and helpful - probably the best part of this hotel is its staff. Location - good, as you are close to everything. Also plenty of eating options for any budget around as well as a supermarket. Rooms.. I have seen very mixed reviews about the rooms here so I assume that the conditions have to vary from room to room. Mine - to put it politely - was not too good. It was small, with worn out furniture. It was hot and there was no way to regulate the temperature. It had some wiring on the walls. Well, the option was to open the window but given that the room faced the street leading to the tunnel and the coach station there was non stop noise for 24 hrs. It had one of the better equipped kitchenettes I have seen and everything looked brand new. No wonder, I guess, since there is no other place to eat your culinary creations but bed...The internet was free and it worked... sometimes. Overall, I would look for alternatives next time I travel to New York. This place is bearable but not more.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Koit
Christin B, Manager at Metro Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Koit,

We have taken what you and many others have said about the property and are making a concerted effort to correct the challenges. The first thing that we did was to remove the cleaning fee.

This charge has been removed. We try to employ some happy, helpful and knowledgeable persons to increase the positive experience at the property. As we make improvements to the property we by renovating we are also are working in the smaller BUT important things. like the WiFi. We believe that these things will make anyone's stay more enjoyable and not just "bearable"

Please come back and visit us so that you are able to enjoy the improvements that you helped us with.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stay at Metro Apartments whenever I need to be in NYC for business. The apartments are very nice, big for NYC standards, and have all the amenities to make you feel comfortable! Diana and her team make you feel at home! The location is very central and you can't beat the price!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 39EllieY
Christin B, Manager at Metro Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

39EllieY,

We have taken the time to sit down and read the comments which were posted and make the changes to our property.

We have started by renovating our rooms to give the guest more added value to your stay. We had also recognized that they Cleaning Fee was a big disappointment so we have removed it..

Thank you for your continued support of Metro Apartments

Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a week for New Years, the staff were friendly, the apartments clean, and location was walking distance to almost everywhere. Only downside was the lower levels get a lot of street noise and being close to Times Square there was a lot of noise, but that's a given in the area of New York. Overall great stay!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Anita S

Anisala,

We are glad that you found us to be so convenient.

Please come back and visit us soon we have remove cleaning fee which was once charged upon arrival and are renovating many of the rooms.

We have taken to heart many of the comments and adding value to our product and staff.

Thanks for staying with us

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Myself and friends visited NYC for thanks giving and stayed 4 nights, having previously been to New York we chose an apartment this time as it was just a base, excellent location, newly refurbished room with kitchenette, huge beds, coffee machine & cable tv.

Friendly, helpful guys on reception throughout our stay and free wifi.

Many think the cleaning charge is cheeky however as its a 'managed' premises & not a full service hotel it's important to remember cleaning staff more than likely are employed via a cleaning agency rather than being employed by the management agency, the room was very clean upon arrival and it clearly advertised the charge when booking so if you dont want to pay the fee you don't need to book.

I would definately use metro apartments if I visited NYC again.

• Stayed: November 2012
4  Thank NewcManager716
Christin B, Manager at Metro Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Good Day NewcManager,

Thanks for visiting the NYC area and staying with us!

I am pleased to see that you were able to take full advantage of our location and convenience.

We look forward to your return to our property.

Thanks again