“Two from NC”

Metro Apartments
Gastonia, North Carolina
“Two from NC”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

My boyfriend and myself checked in 5/11/12 and we were greeted by a very nice man I believe his name is Charles. He was friendly and funny. Throughout our trip he would stop us and ask us how we were doing and what we were getting into, what we have seen he was super! Our room was 7L street side there was construction going on across the street and New Yorker's love to honk their horns lol. We brought ear plugs with us as some reviews said to do but we never used them. We just kept the Tv on at night not even that loud and it did the job. The room was nice the only thing I think I needed that the room was lacking and you get most places is a pen and note pad. The shower water pressure was great! The bed was nice we slept good after a long day of site seeing. Everything was clean and looked so nice I never saw any bugs or mice and believe you me I would have freaked out if I had. Over all we just had a wonderful time and hope to return to New York and the Metro Apartments.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Heather S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Wasn't exactly looking forward to this place after reading the reviews, but didn't want to spend too much on a hotel that we wouldn't be spending a lot of time in. The room was clean, the kitchenette was great, and the bathroom was clean. The buses are loud but only at rush hours so it didn't bother us. If you're a travelled tourist, this place is great, but if you're expecting high class, do not book here. Also the location is great. Would book again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Aaron H
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2012

The Metro apartments were about £90 a night with a service charge to pay (about £20 per night) on arrival. My friend had a beautiful renovated 2 room suite, my Mother had a fairly pleasant but tired room and my room was a pit. There was builiding work going on outside until very late at night and the traffic noise was overwhelming. We never saw a receptionist, just the duty "
guard". Pay a bit more and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated apartment
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank EllyBellyBumpkin
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Beware: many of the photos of this hotel online show the newly renovated apartments. The renovation is an ongoing project, and the odds are that if you're staying here in the near future you're going to be in one of the old, shabbier apartments. I think it's shocking that they're able to trade on the image of these newer apartments when most guests will be staying the older rooms.

Our first impression on arriving at the building was that the area was noisy and hectic, with the Lincoln Tunnel right outside (constant traffic), and the huge building site opposite (they work late and start early in NYC, too!). The hotel lobby looked lovely, sleek and modern; unfortunately, the doors were closed with a sign directing us next door to the rough and ready office. The man who checked us in was nice enough, but it did feel like a work site office.

I had phoned in advance to request a renovated apartment but as soon as we opened the door I could see they weren't able to fulfil our request. The apartment was small (which is fine), basic (again, fine), and shabby (not fine).

Here are the 'cons' about our stay (deep breath!):

- The kitchen fittings had bits hanging off, and the pans were sticky and unwashed
- The toilet didn't flush properly throughout our stay (toilet paper would be whisked away then would reappear)
- The shower didn't drain so you'd end up ankle-deep in dirty water by the time your shower was finished (we reported this and it was fixed - whoever fixed it left some black gunge on the side of the bath, and their dirty footprints on the floor)
- The handle on the balcony door was hanging off and couldn't be locked
- No plugs were provided so you couldn't have a bath or fill the sink, and you could see some foreign objects stuck down the sink plug hole!
- The bathroom hadn't been cleaned properly before we checked in (previous inhabitants' hairs all over the floor, filthy taps, dirt in the corners). There was grouting all over the bath and walls and the whole bathroom just felt grubby
- The free wi-fi was near useless as the connection constantly dropped
- The kitchen was very basic; no grill, oven or freezer
- You have to pay a $50 (plus tax) cleaning fee when you check in, but your apartment doesn't get cleaned at all during your stay
- The bed was sagging for a few nights then suddenly broke; we reported it in the morning and went out for the day but by the evening nothing had been done. We mentioned it again and two men came to fix it (no idea why they weren't called hours before), which involved lots of drilling, furniture moving and noise, when we were supposed to be getting ready to go out to dinner
- The lifts weren't reliable (sometimes you'd stand there for a few minutes, realise it wasn't coming, and have to use the stairs - which smelled of urine on some floors!)

Okay, now the 'pros'!:

- The area was great, very handy for Times Square and the Subway
- The price was good, but to be honest I still think we paid too much for the condition and cleanliness of the apartment
- No noise from neighbouring rooms or the corridors
- You do get used to the outside noise after a few days, but bring ear plugs anyway!
- Quiet, efficient air conditioning

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone in its current state. There's no excuse for the poor cleaning and shabby condition of the apartments. It's great that they're renovating the place, but it's not fair to be selling the place on the renovated apartments when most of them are in such a poor state. I'd recommend having a shop around to see what else you can get for your money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank prismacolor
Christin B, Manager at Metro Apartments, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the property.

The photos which you see online are a good representation of the rooms that are available here. We have removed ALL pictures of the renovated studio apartments to avoid confusion. The pictures in the "Professional Photo" section are sample pictures of the 1 bedroom, pictures of the 2 bedroom and the non renovated studios.

The area is relatively active, however generally in Manhattan it is a busy area and it holds claim to the city that never sleeps. The construction across the street is work of the city which has taken on an aggressive approach to complete the construction ahead of schedule. This approach put the activity late into the night and in the early morning.

While we continue with the progress of the property we have moved the entrance to this temporary location until the time become suitable to relocate to the future lobby. I am glad that the gentleman who checked you in was "nice enough" to assist with making this not so ideal situation better.

As I read through the 'cons', I humbly apologize for your negative experienced in your room. We are in the process of implementing a program to be more proactive to avoid the challenges you experienced. We have recently installed new guest wireless network throughout the entire property. We are in the process of tweaking the wireless to ensure that the guest internet experience is pleasurable.

The cleaning fee is for the one time cleaning that was done for your arrival.

Thank you for staying with us and please stay tuned for the completion of the upgrades.

Management
Kotka, Finland
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I think Metro Apartments is worth the money because of the excellent location near Times Square. There was construction/road work going on near the hotel and the bus terminal next door causes a lot of heavy traffic which wasn't so nice. The neighbourhood was a bit shady, too. But just a block away it changed. We didn't quite understand why they used a little dirty room with mailboxes as entrance though there was a nice lobby with flowers, sofas and tables. Door to the lobby was closed all the time. We had booked two small studios but there had been some plumbing problems there so they offered us a big appartment with two bedrooms, living room and kitchen on the groud floor, just next to the lobby. It would have cost more than the two small rooms but we didn't have to pay extra and got the cleaning fee also for free. What cleaning?? As it is an appartment hotel, they didn't clean the room during our stay. The appartment looked nice and was very clean and tidy. One bedroom was really nice with a window and a good bed. The other one didn't have a window and the bed kept incredible noise! The lower part of it was made of cardboard! It was quite hard too but the noise was the worst thing. The room also smelled like cigarets. All my clothes smelled really bad when I got home. The bathroom was ok. We were five people in that appartment (one slept on a rollaway bed) so two bathrooms would have been nicer. Two of the staff members didn't talk anything to us, hardly even hello. Two others were nice. All in all I could recommend the hotel because I don't think there are much better hotels in Manhattan for this price.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I just came back from staying at the Metro hotel in NYC, I was there for a trade show at the Jacobs center (10 min walking slowly)!!! Amazing, friendly and helpful staff, the room wow!!! Clean fresh renovated from the hallways to the lobby, the minute you open your door you are astounded of the cleanliness and how everything is new and modern. I took the 2 beds full on suite with kitchenette, we ate breakfast every morning, and ordered in from a local chinese restaurant. The beds are very comfortable, the bathroom is modern and the towels are soft. Hair blow dryer and iron in the room. Good closet space, lot's of space especially for NYC!!!! It was actually bigger than my friends apartment who lives in NYC, price very affordable. The only thing is the wi-fi is only in lobby! It is a little bit noisy but hey you are downtown! But really no big deal! Located conveniently close to everything 2 min from central bus terminal, local shops affordable shops and close to a subway. Definitely staying again!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Paul B
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 17, 2012

The location of this place near Times square and the Theatre District is great when you are getting home at night, but apart from that it is a little bit of a grungy area with athe very loud bus station next door and a construction site across the street. The service fee makes no sense as it is $25 for one night and $50 for a stay longer than that, yet there is no difference in the service you get....basically you get nothing. i was there 9 nights and there was no servicing of the room, changing of bed linen or towels. ALL apartments that I have previously stayed in do a room clean and a towel and linen change weekly. (And it seems you pay for that) This one does not. I guess you can wash your own but it is going to be hard to clean without equipment and supplies.The lobby is fully renovated but they are not using it so you enter through the grubby side office. The people on reception are clueless most of the time.

Bed, TV and kitchenette are good. More cutlery, glasses and plates would be great.

I booked through Expedia which says the rooms all have free WiFi. This is false the WiFi is only in the lobby. When I complained about this on arrival i was rudely told to take it up with Expedia. Customer service is very lacking here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo