“Great little hotel right in the centre of Manhattan”
Review of The Pearl Hotel

The Pearl Hotel
Ranked #28 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I have stayed here twice - business trips - one with my husband in tow and more recently with a colleague. We all felt it was pretty close to excellent. Large rooms for NYC, very clean, modern bathrooms, shower good. Fridge and tea and coffee in room. Free breakfast - continental style but plentiful. Great coffee. There is a very pleasant wine and cheese offering between 4and 5. I had a few business colleagues meet me there for that and that space on the first floor is very nice for informal meetings. Handy for the itinerant travelling worker that I am! The staff are professional and genuinely friendly...a big plus there. I like it and I see a lot of hotel rooms. There is a bar and grill house attached which also is good. This is not for those that want the luxury of the Waldorf but if you like smart, efficient, modern and competent - then this is for you. I will certainly return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ohmigod

Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I went to New York and stayed at the pearl the first week of August to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. After a cancelled flight and delayed luggage all of our stresses melted away once we arrived. The bellman and the front desk staff were friendly and efficient. We were whisked off to our deluxe king room (booked through expedia) which was spacious and clean. We especially appreciated the coffee machine, fridge, bathrobes and the two tvs. We were in room 1404 which had a wonderful view of the Eugene O'Neil Theatre which offers the Book of Mormon. The hotel itself is in a wonderful location which makes getting around simple.
We ate at the included continental breakfast each day and it was sufficient to get us through to lunch. We especially enjoyed the fresh fruit. We also attended the complimentary wine offering each evening between 4 and 5. We found the choices of cheese, crackers and fresh fruit a refreshing snack after a day of touring the city. We were also pleasantly surprised by the choice of wine, always quite tasty. They also had small bags of chips and snacks available to take back to your room. There was always plenty of chairs to sit in bit we did notice that the earlier you go for breakfast the quieter it was.
The hotel offers a town car for your trip back to the airport if you would prefer that to a cab. Our charge was $45 plus tip and was quite comfortable and convenient.
Overall it was a great place to stay and would definitely go back if we decide to return to New York.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kidpilsner
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Saw reviews and was looking forward to my husband staying at The Pearl during his stay in NY. Room was ok except for the shower over bath. Didn't notice that in the photos - only noticed the beautiful 3 sided glass floor shower in the photos. (Was there but didn't see it properly.) Great location & free wifi in the room that was helpful.
The thing that has really irked me though has been the distinct lack of communication skills of staff. Absolutely appalling & frustrating to say the least - especially when calling from Australia to New York in peak times.
I called the hotel to speak to my husband and over the fumbling & apologies for almost 10 minutes and spelling our surname out letter by letter over and over again & being placed & taken off hold over & over again, I was told numerous times that my husband was not staying at their hotel. (The $1000 deducted from our credit card upon his arrival the day prior, which included a $200 bond, and my husband's messages told otherwise.....) I haven't been charged a bond for a hotel room anywhere in the hotel - credit card authority taken for expenses that may be incurred, yes. Bond, never.
Eventually my husband, after exchanging multiple emails and sms with me, walked down to reception and took the call. Complete balls up which even now, cannot be explained or fathomed.
Upon checkout, despite the room being pre-paid upon arrival and being presented with a receipt to verify, my husband was continually advised that the room had not been paid for. With a car waiting to take him to the airport, (and the already 24 hour delay in his flight probably taking a toll on his stress levels) the additional time taken to explain and eventually leave without paying for his stay a second time, was just plain unnecessary.
Would I book again? No. Too difficult to deal with. Too many other hotels in New York at $400 a night to choose from.
I would suggest that management need to have a good review of the communication skills of frontline staff because current staff are not of an acceptable standard.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
PearlHotelNYC, General Manager at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

I’m sorry we did not meet your expectations, you were not actually here and having to encounter these challenges I know were very frustrating to you. The guest service agent remembers your call trying to reach your husband and not successfully locating him in our system. Very luckily your husband was at the front desk and realized you were on the phone, this is not the way it should have been and once again we are very sorry.
I don’t quite understand your confusion about the billing, it was not a pre paid reservation, every guest provides a credit card for which we authorize upon check in for the room and any possible incidentals one might incur such as room service, phone calls, etc. We actually bill upon departure, this is a normal practice at every hotel.
I hope your husband enjoyed his time here despite the multiple miscommunications and gaffes, he was understanding of the mix up which we appreciated.
I hope you change your mind and book us again for your husband or for both of you, please feel free to contact me directly if you so choose.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Very happy with our stay. I chose The Pearl based on location and reviews. We were not disappointed! My 16 year old daughter was thrilled to be so close to all the action in Times Square.
Beautiful rooms and spacious bathrooms - great decor all around.
Housekeeping staff did a daily "tidy" - very nice!
Concierge staff very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank colderthanyou
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Just back after a business trip to NY and thought this hotel was excellent. Great location and generously sized rooms. Biggest and best shower I've had in a NY hotel room by a long shot. good choice of places to grab something to eat outside. I slept very well and heard no traffic noise whatsoever, which was surprising being in the heart of the city. Will plan to stay here again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Kevin R
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I recently stayed at The Pearl Hotel in NYC for a 4 night stay with my sister. It is a beautiful hotel, conveniently located in the Theatre district and a very short walk to Times Square. The room was very modern and spacious, the bathroom was immaculately clean. The beds were very comfortable after longs hours sightseeing in NYC. The continental breakfast was a very good to start the day, and a nice added touch is the Wine and hor d'oevres reception every afternoon. The hotel staff was always very pleasant and helpful for any requests we made, and the gentleman who works the concierge desk is very knowledgable. The wifi included is also definitly an added bonus to this hotel. I would definately stay there again, and would recommend it to anyone making a trip to New York.

Room Tip: We stayed onthe 2nd floor which was convenient for the continental breakfast.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank dianebenson107
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in July, 2 adults and 2 teenage boys. We had a family room, which was a little on the small side but considering we were out all day wasn't too much of a problem. The buffet breakfast provided each day was very good, cereals, pastries, bagels, muffins, fruit, juice, tea, coffee etc. Staff were polite and friendly. The hotel is slap bang in the middle of the Theatre District and a stone's throw from Times Square. An excellent base for exploring New York.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family