“Fantastic price, service, room and location in the heart of New York City.”
Review of The Pearl Hotel

The Pearl Hotel
Ranked #24 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic price, service, room and location in the heart of New York City.”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I picked this hotel initially due to a pricing error from the hotel/Booking.com website. It came up at $15 for 3 nights. I booked it before even looking at any specifications or reviews, simply saw it was rated 9/10 by guests. I knew this was a mistake but thought Id risk it on the off chance they would honour it.

I received an Email a couple of days after booking (by both the hotel and Booking.com) advising that unfortunately there was a pricing error and they could not honour the room at the price of $15 however they offered a 50% discount and the price for 3 nights was offered at $370. After having read some of the reviews of the hotel and looked at the pictures etc... I still believed this was a good price and so agreed to stay. Having just stayed at The Pod hotel this price offered was cheaper than The Pod.

Firstly, check in for the hotel was supposed to be 4pm but as I was checking out of the previous hotel for 12pm I asked if I could check in early. Jose (the reservations manager - who was fantastic with his Email communications) agreed to try and arrange a room for 12pm or they would at least store my luggage.

When i got to the hotel I was pleased that they had managed to sort a room out for when I arrived. I was told by the check-in desk about Breakfast, complimentary wine hour and the free Wifi details and advised where my room was. As i entered my room I was amazed by just how big it was. Ive stayed in a few hotels in New York and none of the hotels have been anywhere near the size of the room I had. I stayed in a Superior Queen room (room 308) which overlooked patios of rooms below on the second floor. There was complimentary Champagne and chocolates in the room (as I arrived on New Years day). Huge bed with great bedding, walk in wardrobe, plenty of drawer space for clothes around the rooma well, 2 phones, a desk to work from, TV with plenty of channels (including sports - was good to catch the premier league football whilst away), good sized bathroom with a huge walk in shower and a great little coffee machine. I was so impressed I spent about 4 hours in the room before heading back out into the city.

There was a small fitness room which I didnt get time to use. Breakfast was decent (and free), offered bagels, toast, boiled eggs, cereals, coffee and orange juice and fresh fruit.

The location was brilliant (especially if you're a fan of Times Square). A number of subways within a couple of blocks, 10 blocks to Central Park, a few blocks to Rockerfeller and 5th Ave too.

Couldn't be happier with the hotel or the service provided by them (doormen, desk workers). On my second day I left the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door as I didn't have any need for the maids to make up the room/change towels as Id stayed only 1 night by then. When I got back to my room (approx 6pm) I had a message waiting on the room phone advising me that they had noticed the sign and should I wish to have the room made up to give them a call back. I thought this courtesy call was another example of fantastic service.

Overall, very impressed with every aspect of this hotel and can see why it is rated #8 in NYC on Tripadvisor.

• Stayed January 2013
5 Thank SimonFlynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
Usk, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I visited The Pearl with two girlfriends at the beginning of December, and what a treat it was! Comfortable rooms and beds, a great bathroom with a huge shower, and a quiet spot just off Times Square....Yes really! The staff were fabulous and couldn't do enough for us; recommending shows, booking tickets, storing our luggage and booking taxis when required. On our last day, my friend's husband had e-mailed the hotel with our flight check-in details for our journey home - we came down to Reception to find these printed out and ready for us to collect - Excellent service from friendly, smiling staff at all hours of the day and night! The complimentary breakfast was a welcome addition to our stay, providing us with a good choice of foods and coffee which could be taken away in cardboard cups...A perfect way to start the day!!
I honestly could not fault this hotel which was quiet and private, yet within five minutes of Times Square. Would definitely visit again!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back of the hotel when you book!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank m0rgan542
Newcastle Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel is one I would stay at again for sure. So close to the action of Times Square and not too far away from Central Park either. There is also a great restaurant attached to the hotel as well which is really good. The only negative thing I would say is about one member of staff who was rude to me but all the others I came across were fantastic!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank C1307
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Arrived here with my sister on October 26 for a weekend stay in New York for my mother's 70 birthday gift!!! What a great location to many of the sites of New York. The staff and service here are excellent. Great breakfast offered with a good variety of fresh food. Our hats go off to Juan Valdez who is an awesome employee. Happy hour from 4-5pm is an excellent hotel service. Rooms are clean and roomy. We were supposed to leave on Oct. 29 but were waylaid by hurricane Sandy. The staff were very supportive and there were limited services such as house keeping during this time due to the fact that staff could not get to and from work. The hotel was great about extending our stay until we could finally leave on Nov. 1st. Only draw back was that our hotel room rate increased by $100 for Oct 27 stay, even though services were limited (no house keeping) and no guests were going anywhere at the moment. Brought it up with the manager and she said these were their usual room rates!! You would think given the situation the hotel would take this in to consideration. Business is business I guess. I would definitely recommend this hotel to other travellers we would definitely come back again...but not during hurricane season!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have just returned from New York having spent ten days at The Pearl Hotel. The location of this hotel is fantastic. It is close to Time Square, subway access, Rockerfeller Centre and all Broadway Shows. The staff are friendly, accommodating and very helpful. The rooms were well sized and clean with modern features. Aving a breakfast as part of the room price was great with a good selection of cereals, Danishes, fresh bagels, yoghurt and fruit available between 7 and 10 am. The afternoon drinks were a nice way to sit and plan the evening while enjoying a glass of wine and regional cheeses with compliments of the hotel. Overall the Pearl is somewhere we will be returning to in the near future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MadMaddens
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 27, 2012

As a native New Yorker, I am not impressed by Times Square except its proximity to the theatre. But during Hurricane Irene I did end up at the Pearl for one night. It was a pleasant surprise. Nice rooms, helpful and friendly service and it's near Eighth Avenue instead of in the heart of Times Square so there is access to less touristy restaurants and not as crowded. I enjoyed the stay.

Room Tip: Having lived in Manhattan much of my life, I am not bothered by street noise while indoors and just...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank pdxlorenzo
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Location - perfect!! Customer Service - outstanding!!Room - fabulous!!
My recent 3rd visit to NYC was the most memorable. We stayed at the Hotel during the Hurricane and found it to be the safest, most caring and considerate spot to be located during a very anxious time. The staff were very friendly especailly the young guys on the door, our concerns or questions were always addressed when we approached reception. We bumped into the Hotel Manager after the Hurricane had completed its destructive pathway through the area and found her to be approachable and very calm considering her responsibility towards her clients and staff's safety. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to visitors to NYC as it has everything you need and more!!! Thank you Pearl.....

Room Tip: I don't think there would be a room that would have any issues ours was fantastic
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends