“No bed bugs here!”

Ranked #17 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Hornchurch, Essex
“No bed bugs here!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

Stayed 4 nights early October 2011 with my fiance and we are both very fussy but loved it, the tipadvisor reports are true. Perfect location, clean and friendly. Breakfast a plus also..
Only down side was bit noisey during the night because you are right in the thick of it and used the phone for 2 mins only and was charged $17 which left a bad taste on check out so do beware on that point.
Overall, would not hesitate to recommend!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MJH-MDB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Hebrew first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

My recent four-night stay at the Pearl started off disastrously. On reading the positive reviews on TripAdvisor, I'd thrown caution to the wind and booked the cheapest room, a 'superior queen' at nearly $400 per night - far more than I've ever paid for a NY hotel before.

After three nights travelling on a train to NY, I was looking so forward to checking in and enjoying the wonderful facilities I'd read about - kitchenette with microwave and fridge, coffee maker, luxurious bathroom with a second flat-screen TV. Having had to endure the tiny showers on the train, I was particularly looking forward to having a hot bubble bath to relax and feel human again. I'd requested a room high up, and not facing a brick wall. Well, on entering my room (908) - what a disappointment!! To start with, It was small and dark (tiny windows), and yes, it looked straight on to the back of another building! There was also a constant humming, droning noise in the room, apparently from some machinery nearby. There was no kitchenette, and worst of all - no bath tub in the tiny bathroom (never mind no TV)!! I went straight back down to the front desk, and after the stress of the day and my high expectations, was ready to burst into tears! They said I should have requested a bathtub, as not all queen rooms have them. This is not indicated anywhere on their website, where I made my booking. Thankfully the Manager on duty, Jaime, took pity on me and offered to upgrade me to a much better room at no extra charge - however, this would only happen the next day as nothing else was available that night. The next day I was moved to a light, bright, Luxury King room (903), facing the street, with all the amenities I'd hoped for, so my final three nights made up for the disappointing first one.

Bottom line, I'd recommend the hotel with its high prices, but only if you can afford to stay in one of the better rooms.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank loveusa123
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

I research very carefully as cleanliness is very important to me. We arrived very early a though our room was not ready they offered to call me when room was ready. We happily received a phone call a couple hours later. The room was very decent size (especially compared to other hotels) and very clean and comfortable and the staff was very friendly, remembering me on sight. It was a one night stay but it was very pleasant and relaxing. PROS: size, new, quiet, clean, helpful staff, 12 pm checkout time, location, could open windows. CONS: a little pricey, broken elevator, continental breakfast nothing special, unattended maid cart left outside door for 24 hours. Best hotel stay in NYC. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank marbs978
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

After reading reviews on tripadvisor we made arrangements to stay four nights earlier this month. The staff was helpful, the beds were comfortable and, most importantly, the rooms were very quiet. We were in a room overlooking 49th street and the double seal on the windows was very efficient. There are, however, two drawbacks. We were surprised that there was no magnifying mirror in the bathroom, so if you have aging eyes you might want to go elsewhere. The breakfast options were lacking; the cut up fruit bowl was either not in its place or sad looking, the bananas way beyond their prime, the breads looked sub-par and there were no organic yogurt choices.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Kansas City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

This was one of the few places I found where a room with two doubles wasn't nearly double the price of a single. It was reasonably priced with the discount I found, the room was very comfortable and quiet, great bathroom, excellent breakfast. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank mabelle2
Frisco CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

We stayed at the Hilton a few blocks away earlier in the week for a conference my husband attended. I thought that is what you get for $370/nt (at the conference reduced rate) in NYC, peeling wall paper, sad decor, etc. I realized luckily I was wrong when we moved on to The Pearl. I chose The Pearl based on TripAdvisor reviews which is why I'm reviewing now. It is exactly what I'm always looking for. I like things clean and this was immaculate. The furnishings and finishes were fabulous and I felt like I was staying in a luxury hotel for the price of $370/nt. The continental breakfast was also a nice plus. I am picky and am often disappointed at the wear and tear on hotels and the general lack of cleanliness but this was absolutely perfect. I cannot wait to go back to NYC now that I have found a little gem of a place. The location was great too, with subway close by, the shows, etc. Thank you to The Pearl for offering a reasonable option that offers what I would expect from a large luxury hotel!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JessicaSkis
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

We chose The Pearl for our stay in September after reading reviews on trip advisor and found it to be fabulous. The place is clean, comfortable, quiet yet close to everything you want to do. The vanity area is a little tight but not impossible. Have stayed in more expensive hotels in NY and been disappointed. Breakfast choices are fine and the free internet a bonus.

Room Tip: We had a king room and away from the elevators on 4th floor.