“Superb Oysters, but the dinner not so good”

The John Dory Oyster Bar
Ranked #1,177 of 13,826 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Stokesdale, North Carolina
“Superb Oysters, but the dinner not so good”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We ate dinner here Saturday 9/28/13. First time in NYC to visit our niece and her husband. The raw oysters we ordered were absolutely superb. We should have ordered more oysters instead of entrees.
I had the black cod, which came out soggy and undercooked. My husband's rare tuna came out a soggy and gray. The calamari was indeed very crispy, very overcooked, as was the jumbo shrimp dish and the popcorn shrimp.

I would go back for the oysters, but would not order anything else on their menu.

• Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
“Totally amazing ambience!!!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

This uber sophisticated bar is a must for all oyster lovers. They're shucked to order, presented on ice and super fresh. Sipping on a glass of prosecco eating my selection of shellfish. I thought if died and gone to heaven. It's sssssoooooo good!
We went back late at night for drinks,the barman was incredible to chat to and fun to watch. His specialty an 'old fashioned'. Very cool place. A definite one for the must see list!

1 Thank FSEMario
Denver, Colorado
“Vintage Feel”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was walking distance to my hotel and needed just a small meal, though it was late already, precisely at 12:16am! Was able to get in (still quite busy), but had to order food quickly as the kitchen was closing at 12:30am.
Food was very good! Atmosphere was fun and gives you a vintage feel of old NYC mixed with new. Lots of interesting marine decor.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Operatica
Guadalajara, Mexico
“Super selection of oysters and sea food”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I was transported on time with the magnificent view of a 19th century building in the corner: We had a super interesting italian white wine with some 4 or 5 types of oysters and snails wich smelled like sea salt! So fresh and firm! This was before 5:00 pm after that we had a splendid dinner!

1 Thank LAURAELENA
Ocala
“Great food & I'm allergic to seafood!”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My friends wanted to go, so I went even though I can't eat seafood. I enjoyed the decor, the atmosphere, and the people watching. I ordered some terrific non-seafood small plates and was completely satisfied.

• Visited July 2013