“Great coffee, just by the park”
Review of Fika Espresso Bar

Fika Espresso Bar
Ranked #99 of 658 Coffee & Tea in New York City
Cuisines: Cafe
Neighborhood: Midtown
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was a great recommendation from our concierge… Beautiful macchiato & latte as well as pastries and a great location, close to the park! Give Starbucks a miss and head to Fika!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I hadn't heard anything about Fika but was passing by one morning earlier this week and decided to pop in and try a coffee. I own a bakery/coffee shop in London (UK) and therefore have an interest in how people serve their coffee. Everyone has their likes and dislikes how their coffee is. I'm not a fan on the typical American style of coffee and I was keen for something perhaps similar to my own coffee. There was a line and the signs were good with people in front of me extolling the virtues of the coffee I was soon to be tasting. Yum ! My turn. I looked at the menu and saw the usual offerings of Italian style coffees. I like my coffee strong, short with soft velvety warm/hot milk. I asked for a double espresso with hot milk in a short takeaway cup. The woman serving me replied "So you want a cappuccino ?" "No", I replied and repeated my order. "Oh so you want a latte ?" I explained that what I really wanted was a flat white. "Well that's what we call a latte." She then turned to her colleague and with the annoying parenthesis finger gesturing said, "He wants a flat white !" So now feeling somewhat pilloried I waited and continued to be optimistic about the coffee. Sadly the coffee was strong as I had hoped but was bitter and luke warm at best. What a great shame ! I did have a delicious small blueberry croissant, which thankfully masked the bitter coffee. I've definitely had better and really felt that not only was the coffee distinctly average and expensive the attitude of the women serving was smug and arrogant. I don't know what I'm talking about ? My little backwater shop sells 80,000 coffees per year to a local loyal community. Take it on the chin ladies or gentlemen, whomsoever, is responsible and don't be afraid to constantly tweak what you produce to see if you can make it better or at least maintain a high quality consistently great coffee. As I said at the beginning, everyone has their own taste in coffee, sadly what I received at Fika didn't suit mine.

2  Thank Paul C
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Went in for sandwich and coffee. Both sandwiches were fresh and tasty. Coffee was great too. Some seating and great service. Really good !!

1  Thank Montysadog
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We went to their location on 58th Street all four mornings we were in New York. Tripped over it the first time, then were wooed back by the good coffee and incredible, melt-in-your-mouth muffins. Not to mention the staff, who were very pleasant even during the morning rush. Fika also sells to-go coffee mugs and water caddies, as well as candies. We were taken by the “prescription” vial of chocolate-covered hazelnuts, with a prescription-like label that directs one to take the vial’s contents to improve one’s mood. NB: “Fika” means coffee break in Swedish.

1  Thank bluenoser1954
Reviewed April 23, 2013

In a city seemingly overwhelmed by big chain, poor quality coffee service, we were steered to Fika by the hotel. Imagine a place so good that the hotel recommends it in preference to their own. The actual location alternately refers to itself as the FIKA Swedish Espresso Bar. It was wonderful. The pastries were fresh baked to exacting Swedish standards. My coffee and the Latte for my wife were perfect. The flavor, aroma, temperature were perfect. There is only a small seating area, but there was no rushing of people out of the door. If I lived in NYC, I would be there daily.